[PSA] Ridefarr Tubby Race Strap

Reme Le Hane

I purchased one mainly as it was the only one I could find that was dropper compatible, and it looked like a nice idea, turns out material electric is not a great way to store things on a mtb, hindsight and all that.

Took it out with me this am for the first time all kitted with 2 co2 canisters, tube, pair of tyre levers, co2 inflator and the multitool I got from them as well.

It was around 7km into a ride, most of which at that point was jeep track, I hear a clang so I stop, it was the 2 canisters that had fallen out, one of witch I assume had hit my frame, go back to the bike to see that the tube, multitool and co2 inflator where already gone, and nowhere to be seen, doubled back a bit but nothing, and who really knows where on that 7k it feel out and then it would have likely hit the tyre and flown in any bloody direction.

I caution anyone considering this or having bought this, maybe add a few more bands or straps for security, as I can only imagine this was tested on a road bike for some reason.

Now I need to replace R400 worth of kit, not to me ton the R150 bag is pretty much useless too. ad407deb0d00eba448ea202d4f10cd64.jpg

Scott Scale 960 (2017)

MTB Vids: ltstyt.be/@remelehane

Sorry about your loss, ouch. One would think these things will hold up better. By the looks of it, it won't hold goodies on the road bike. Couple of bumps on 8bar tyres will send it flying

Sorry about your loss, ouch. One would think these things will hold up better. By the looks of it, it won't hold goodies on the road bike. Couple of bumps on 8bar tyres will send it flying

When strapped it is quite sturdy, so I was not expecting it and the 29 inch tyre really gives it some bulk which appeared to max out the stretch, but you still get some stretch on the securing straps so I could hear it bang up against me seat over few bumps, but there is exposed metal so I thought nothing serious of it.

If the tube had stayed I suspect all would have been well. I think this is still a good idea, but it needs a little more grip, even some rubber dots or strips inside the compartments would probably have made a world of difference, but without it it seems even a rubber tube can work its way out of elasticated nylon with apparently not much effort.

You love an learn, and it really is hard to find a nice multitool and it was there tool as well, so was the co2 inflator, I basically lost my entire order.

These are for next weekends duathlon, little point taking 2 10k loops rocking a fully hydration/tools bad strapped 2 my bag, 2 bottles and essential tools FTW.

Scott Scale 960 (2017)

The Specialized Mountain Bandit works like a bomb if you are looking for a strap type of set up that is dropper friendly - holds a co2 canister, tube, and tyre lever. Obviously designed to work with other Spez kit, so not designed to hold a chain breaker (that goes in the top cap), or multi tool (that goes on your spez bottle cage). And this bolts onto a Spez saddle - so if you have Spez saddle and are willing to get all the SWAT kit then it's by far the best solution in my opinion - but it is pricey to do the whole setup. I've had mine on for ages and nothing has come close to falling out.

Alternatively get a Speed Sleeve Ranger from cogentindustries.co.za - it holds a tube, multi-tool, co2 canisters, and co2 adapter. It is completely closed up, and is dropper post friendly. Very nicely desinged bit of kit. Would have gone this route if I didn't already have a SWAT chain tool, multi tool and saddle.

That's a shitty one.

I've seen those race straps on their site, but didn't even take a second look at it as I've seen similar problems with similar straps in the past.

I opted for the small saddle bag as it can also hold all of the essential, except for a spare tube that is.

Was so impressed with the first one after a month of use that I ordered another one for my recently built up gravelbike as well and it's dropper post friendly too.

da01cd62ca659368a66dab4980ddcad2.jpg

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

The Specialized Mountain Bandit works like a bomb if you are looking for a strap type of set up that is dropper friendly - holds a co2 canister, tube, and tyre lever. Obviously designed to work with other Spez kit, so not designed to hold a chain breaker (that goes in the top cap), or multi tool (that goes on your spez bottle cage). And this bolts onto a Spez saddle - so if you have Spez saddle and are willing to get all the SWAT kit then it's by far the best solution in my opinion - but it is pricey to do the whole setup. I've had mine on for ages and nothing has come close to falling out.

Alternatively get a Speed Sleeve Ranger from cogentindustries.co.za - it holds a tube, multi-tool, co2 canisters, and co2 adapter. It is completely closed up, and is dropper post friendly. Very nicely desinged bit of kit. Would have gone this route if I didn't already have a SWAT chain tool, multi tool and saddle.

Type is somewhat irrelevant, it was the most capable of the only 2 I could find, they had the bag as in the previous post, but space for the tube as well made sense.

Will give those a look and see.

Shots

Scott Scale 960 (2017)

Sorry to hear about your experience.

This is what you should consider. https://www.cogentindustries.co.za/product/speedsleev-ranger/

Great bag, does not move at all if you fit it as advised by Speedsleev. Mine easy carries a tube, 2 large bombs, 3 tire levers, multitool, Dynaplug Racer & extra plugs. I would not consider any other bag, and there is no zip on it that can clog up with mud.

One of my riding buddies has been using the Farr race strap now for about a month, he has had great success with it. Also attaches it to the seat as you would strap the Speedsleev, and he has no movement at all on it.

Also had the same problem with the strap. You can secure the CO2 canisters by putting the canister inside a piece of road tube (also helps with the canister getting cold when inflating). I also put a small piece of tube between the canister and inflator so that I can screw the inflator tightly on without breaking the seal. But even without a multitool and tyre levers my strap wasn't dropper friendly when my rear suspension compressed. Now my strap just catches dust in the garage.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Any comments/feedback on the Ridefarr saddles?

From what I have heard their products are very good. I just think this strap is a bad idea in general and shouldn't necessarily reflect badly on the brand as a whole. Saddle looks very comfy, almost like a Spez power saddle - at 148mm it's a nice width too. I find the power saddle at 143mm too narrrow and at 155mm too wide. I am going to be ordering one of these saddles and one of their farr handlebars soon. Looks like nice additions to an endurance/distance bike.

Search in the forums for the Farr thread, a few people have bought and used the saddles and have given some feedback there.

• 2 months later...

Seems unnecessary to create a new topic again, but gave it a shot and ordered there gloves. Put them on once and popped stitches on both cuffs, seriously not impressed... 27dd617aead057525832605774af99df.jpg

Scott Scale 960 (2017)

Seems unnecessary to create a new topic again, but gave it a shot and ordered there gloves. Put them on once and popped stitches on both cuffs, seriously not impressed... 27dd617aead057525832605774af99df.jpg

Scott Scale 960 (2017)

Hi Reme,

as per our e-mail correspondence this am - we will be sending replacements and collecting these from you for claiming from our factory - agree, the quality is not acceptable and we will do a full stock-count/check on our side before sending any other in future.

We had fantastic feedback from Markus Bauer and Frank Claes - both raced the Cape Epic with our LONG RACE gloves and finished a very credible 8th Place on GC!

Markus used the MINI RACE BAG as his spares storage solution for the duration of the race too.

post-121972-0-38470200-1522234747_thumb.jpg

post-121972-0-08750800-1522234755_thumb.jpg

My 2 cents, the straps sold at the expo, cannot recall their name now, work quite well, albeit I use them on the roadbike. 

The specialized SWAT saddle strap which I have on the MTB is a great option, carrying a multitool on one of those strappy things sounds like looking for trouble in my opinion.

My 2 cents, the straps sold at the expo, cannot recall their name now, work quite well, albeit I use them on the roadbike. 

The specialized SWAT saddle strap which I have on the MTB is a great option, carrying a multitool on one of those strappy things sounds like looking for trouble in my opinion.

Part of their recommended packing for the strap, I replaced it with something else that I got from Pedalworx, cant remember the name, but its got a good 400km+ of hard riding on it without a budge.

But hey, **** happens, you sometimes need places to put stuff so that you don't need to strap a backpack, and pockets only go so far.

Waiting with great anticipation for Farr to launch their water bottle cage that incorporates two bombs and one inflator. Looks like a great product.

Waiting with great anticipation for Farr to launch their water bottle cage that incorporates two bombs and one inflator. Looks like a great product.

That does sound nice, I quite like the syncros one that takes a pump and a multi-tool, problem is its pricey as it includes the pump and multi-tool.

Archived