Steinhoff - How does this affect Sani2C?

RABUBI

My 2c, always thought Steinhoff sponsoring Varsity Cup etc was more of a vanity thing from the companies management rather than something that would add value to their brand.

I mean who would go out and buy a Steinhoff "product" because they saw the name at a varsity cup or blitzbokke game?

Come to think to it, similar story with KAP - cannot really imagine what they would get out of sponsoring Sani2C other than vanity...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2c, always thought Steinhoff sponsoring Varsity Cup etc was more of a vanity thing from the companies management rather than something that would add value to their brand.

I mean who would go out and buy a Steinhoff "product" because they saw the name at a varsity cup or blitzbokke game?

Come to think to it, similar story with KAP - cannot really imagine what they would get out of sponsoring Sani2C other than vanity...

Can't find that meme now with the student in the Steinhoff t-shirt with the caption: Studied at Stellenbosch for 4 years, still don't know what Steinhoff does.

Can't find that meme now with the student in the Steinhoff t-shirt with the caption: Studied at Stellenbosch for 4 years, still don't know what Steinhoff does.

Haha too true! I was at Stellenbosch for 6 years, only found out what Steinhoff was once I started working. 

I'm not sure KAP will pull out. Steinhoff is a major shareholder in KAP but does not control the business (KAP operates independently). In fact, given the liquidity issues at Steinhoff, they may end up selling this shareholding pretty soon. 

Exactly! Kind of like buying a Barloworld  when they sponsored that pro cycling team

must have rented a lot of CATs and sold some plascon paints (i think that's what they do)

Exactly! Kind of like buying a Barloworld  when they sponsored that pro cycling team

must have rented a lot of CATs and sold some plascon paints (i think that's what they do)

And like buying a blue label telecom on days when the Springboks weren't losing too far. I guess we should be thankful when corporates help out as supporters without obvious gain but it does show that allot of our sport isn't a self-sufficient business. 

I'm not sure KAP will pull out. Steinhoff is a major shareholder in KAP but does not control the business (KAP operates independently). In fact, given the liquidity issues at Steinhoff, they may end up selling this shareholding pretty soon.

You are well informed. If only other people will read the newspaper too[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are well informed. If only other people will read the newspaper too[emoji848]

what's that?

It’s that thing that puts me higher up the information curve

I wouldn't argue general knowledge, business acumen, information curve position or frankly most things with Freewheelin'... he has an engineering degree with a masters in Renewable energy, an MBA and spends his time researching unimportant current affairs on the interwebs for fun...... I think his jibe was at the archaic term 'newspaper'... Printed media is so last millenium  :ph34r:

For sure, complete vanity thing,

If they sponsored in the name of "Rochester furniture" or " Tekkie town" or even "Hi Fi craperation" could understand.

Unless their cunning plan was to appeal/market to the more sophisticated retail investor that happened to know they were a listed entity, this is also a possibillity.

On a similar subject, does my head in when Eksdom sponsors competitions on radio etc, for what purpose, are people going to go to VW to buy electricity. Crazy stuff. Someone in marketing prob trying to justify their nepotistic employment.

And like buying a blue label telecom on days when the Springboks weren't losing too far. I guess we should be thankful when corporates help out as supporters without obvious gain but it does show that allot of our sport isn't a self-sufficient business.

Without sponsorships that get 'very little' out if it, sport as we know it will not exist - from elite/pro level all th way down to recreational

Without sponsorships that get 'very little' out if it, sport as we know it will not exist - from elite/pro level all th way down to recreational

AFAIK They score BBBEE points for socio economic programs by way of sponsorships.

The airtime they got was a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Archived