[Event] Race To The Sun

nathrix

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sucky news, I have come down with the flu and wont be able to do this race anymore.

So, I have 2 entries (riding partner doesn't want to ride without his teamie, how sweet) FREE to a good home. Just PM and I will send you our entries confirmations and you can do subs etc.

This is subject to you promising to pay it forward when you are net in a position to do so

No man, hope it passes quick!

Sucky news, I have come down with the flu and wont be able to do this race anymore.

So, I have 2 entries (riding partner doesn't want to ride without his teamie, how sweet) FREE to a good home. Just PM and I will send you our entries confirmations and you can do subs etc.

This is subject to you promising to pay it forward when you are net in a position to do so

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

First your epic, now you?

One entry left. Edited by Patchelicious

Chapeau Patch! Despite what others say about you ( :whistling: ), I applaud your charity and your wish to encourage paying-it-forward.

.... Litte to no corrugations.... HA HA. Great event nonetheless.

Dammit [emoji36] but still I enjoyed it on the gravel bike, it would appear there were many new or at least recently purchased gravel bikes there.

Realised again that on some of those surfaces and rougher parts we rode on a certain 'finesse' is needed to look after the tyres, caught out some pretty 'experienced' riders that [emoji41]

Wonder who won the Specialized prize?

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

Pity I only paid real attention to this event when entries closed. Looks super fun, no longer or more difficult than a Dirtdax.

Definitely going to partake next year. 

Pity I only paid real attention to this event when entries closed. Looks super fun, no longer or more difficult than a Dirtdax.

Definitely going to partake next year.

What if it’s windy, you gonna stay in bed? [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What an event, well organized, well stock water points, marshals and Metro Police did an excellent job. It was hard and i started feeling symptoms of flue coming down on me the night or two before the event, just tried to keep my HR as low as possible on the day.

There was a stretch on the route aptly named ‘joumase’ on Strava that really tested all the riders which was corrugated (made crater cruise seem like a freshly grated gravel road compared), with thick sand, headwind and uphill for miles. The last 10km was the hardest ever for me on my trusty Ritchey P-29er mtb, but at the end gulping down plenty free Bavarians and a lekker boerewors roll made it all worth the effort.

R20k prize money for 1st place in both Men and Woman cat ????

Men’s Podium for Race to the Sun. #RaceToTheSun #Advendurance

????@hbkruger 5hrs 5min mtb

????@JacoCron gravel bike

???? @DutoitPietet

(Gravel bikes in 2, 6, 8 and 10 - Grant Usher in 8th btw)

Women’s Podium for Race to the Sun. #RaceToTheSun #Advendurance

????@bell_vanessa 5hrs 44min gravel bike (29th overall, insane!)

????Marisa van der Linde mtb

???? Paula Hardy mtb

http://racetothesun.co.za/2018/08/04/press-release-dawn-of-a-new-race/

Photo Credit Hayden Brown (Race To The Sun Facebook)

post-4329-0-67493400-1533457501_thumb.jpeg

post-4329-0-35571200-1533457566_thumb.jpeg

post-4329-0-45097200-1533457584_thumb.jpeg

post-4329-0-28738800-1533457600_thumb.jpeg

post-4329-0-34606700-1533457612_thumb.jpeg

post-4329-0-44650700-1533457640_thumb.jpeg

post-4329-0-92334100-1533457658_thumb.jpeg

post-4329-0-89188000-1533457669_thumb.jpeg

Dammit [emoji36] but still I enjoyed it on the gravel bike, it would appear there were many new or at least recently purchased gravel bikes there.

Realised again that on some of those surfaces and rougher parts we rode on a certain 'finesse' is needed to look after the tyres, caught out some pretty 'experienced' riders that [emoji41]

Wonder who won the Specialized prize?

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

Several times I lost little groups through marginal technical sections due to the limitations of the gravel bike. Always caught back up again though. Even took a wrong turn inside Sun City and did an extra loop of single track. I will be back every year and it will always be with drop bars.

We were commenting on the other thread how great the race was. I am properly tenderised though.