What does it take to get a sub 3?

Fruity

Bunch riding helps a lot ,but even in a bunch averaging 37km/h is really hard work

Also don't know much about power, but I know about bunch riding and your statement is often false.

If you cut out the last two climbs of the 99er I did 90km at 38.7 km/h for avg HR of 147bpm. It was largely pedestrian and baring some accelerations and going over rollers as if they're flat it can't really be called hard work.

It comes down to what Skubarra said - climb like a demon and work the bunch to your advantage.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

So with the CTCT behind us, what’s everyone’s thoughts on this?

Given the weather, I think a ftp of 3.5 w/kg this year would have sufficed.

I managed a 2:53 with a 4w/ kg, although interestingly, my Garmin showed me a new ftp of 3.56 for the day, which I think is good guidance to this topics initial question

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depends on how much wheel you suck.

If you stick in a group you can make it with a lot lower FTP than if you try to TT it by yourself.

I did a 3:21 with an FTP of 2.9 w/kg but I took it pretty easy, especially up both Chappies and Suikerbossie. My average heart rate for races where I am pushing it is around 162/163, average HR for the CTCT was only 154.

Depends on how much wheel you suck.

If you stick in a group you can make it with a lot lower FTP than if you try to TT it by yourself.

I did a 3:21 with an FTP of 2.9 w/kg but I took it pretty easy, especially up both Chappies and Suikerbossie. My average heart rate for races where I am pushing it is around 162/163, average HR for the CTCT was only 154.

I was mostly in a bunch( 1A), for additional context.

And you have been known to suck wheel shamelessly........

You must have been right at the back of 1A!  I would expect nearly everyone in 1A went sub-3 this year.

Start group is critical for a sub-3 Argus, as well as conditions, and if you are in the right group it's relatively easy but you still have to be fit enough and savvy enough to stay with the bunch.  If you get dropped it's pretty much over.

There are rare individuals who can do it from later groups, but they are either very fit/fast and/or work very hard.

I got sub3 from 1E with a w/kg of only 2.65. 

I fully agree with Skubarra, let the big boys tow you to the climbs, say your goodbyes, thrash yourself up the climb, hop on the train to the next climb, rinse and repeat until the sprint.

Not my preferred racing style but it was my first CTCT and I didn't know exactly what to expect from the course

Not a lot, started in $ after racing TOGH. Had nothing in the legs, lasted till 2/3 up chappies then cruised home, 2:47.

Going through Kalk bay felt like a coffee ride with sun rising, was lekker. 

Ole man (63) did it on a single speed in 2h53min.

was involved in pileup in Camps bay and had to ride to the finish with his front wheel touching his brake and frame (broke a spoke). 

otherwise was on for finishing with the front of the group in 2h47

Start group is critical for a sub-3 Argus, as well as conditions, and if you are in the right group it's relatively easy but you still have to be fit enough and savvy enough to stay with the bunch.  If you get dropped it's pretty much over.

Long, long time ago, there lived an eddy who rode sub 3, now he is an old man who lives in a cave and last rode the race four years ago.

I don't know what my numbers are now, but the last time I checked I was nowhere near 3.5w/kg. I did a 3h13 from 2E and rode very little of the race in a bunch as moving through the field in a bunch is just to dangerous for me.

I suspect that under the following circumstances I (or someone like me) could possibly have gone sub 3 this year:

First, I would have ridden my Carbon Fibre "race" bike with deep section wheels rather than a 2003 Alu bike with old Ksyriums. I did not know what the weather was going to be so travelled down with the conservative option. Maybe a 3 minute win on my race time right there.

Second, I would have needed to start in 1A. I would then have got there early and made sure that I was in the front of the pen.

Powering over the first hill is not a problem, and I would still be in touch with the group at the bottom of Hospital hill. Win a minute on my time this year by the time I get to Edinburgh drive.

Third, take it easy up Edinburgh drive, lose 2 minutes, allowing the front of 1B to catch me and ride with them to Smitswinkel, sucking like an Electrolux. An easy 4 minutes to win there.

Again, recover a bit at the top, lose 2 minutes, letting the front of the next group catch me, and do a Linda Lovelace all the way to Chapmans. This year, I only averaged 33.7 on the long downhill from the top of Smits to Soetwater turn-off (17km) as there was absolute chaos on the road I just tried to stay out of trouble. In 2012 I averaged 37.6. An easy 7 minutes to win on my ride this year by averaging 38 rather than 33.0 until Little Chapmans

Next, lose 2 mins on Chapmans, 2 on Suikerbossie and fly to the finish from there.

I averaged 42.1 from top of Llandudno to the finish, for the first time having a wheel to suck. We broke away from the rest on the little climb out of Campsbay. I finished strongly.

I am not saying that it would have been easy but as the front of A1 did 2h50, I could afford to lose 2 mins on each of the 4 climbs, suck my way the rest of the way and potentially still have still have 2 mins in the bank.

I would have hated it as opposed to the very enjoyable, easy ride I did have but with fast moving groups coming through having started at 2 minutes (yes I know that later bunches caught earlier ones) I think one can afford to not burn all your matches on the hills and still not have to wait for a fast bunch to jump onto. 

Long, long time ago, there lived an eddy who rode sub 3, now he is an old man who lives in a cave and last rode the race four years ago.

I don't know what my numbers are now, but the last time I checked I was nowhere near 3.5w/kg. I did a 3h13 from 2E and rode very little of the race in a bunch as moving through the field in a bunch is just to dangerous for me.

I suspect that under the following circumstances I (or someone like me) could possibly have gone sub 3 this year:

First, I would have ridden my Carbon Fibre "race" bike with deep section wheels rather than a 2003 Alu bike with old Ksyriums. I did not know what the weather was going to be so travelled down with the conservative option. Maybe a 3 minute win on my race time right there.

Second, I would have needed to start in 1A. I would then have got there early and made sure that I was in the front of the pen.

Powering over the first hill is not a problem, and I would still be in touch with the group at the bottom of Hospital hill. Win a minute on my time this year by the time I get to Edinburgh drive.

Third, take it easy up Edinburgh drive, lose 2 minutes, allowing the front of 1B to catch me and ride with them to Smitswinkel, sucking like an Electrolux. An easy 4 minutes to win there.

Again, recover a bit at the top, lose 2 minutes, letting the front of the next group catch me, and do a Linda Lovelace all the way to Chapmans. This year, I only averaged 33.7 on the long downhill from the top of Smits to Soetwater turn-off (17km) as there was absolute chaos on the road I just tried to stay out of trouble. In 2012 I averaged 37.6. An easy 7 minutes to win on my ride this year by averaging 38 rather than 33.0 until Little Chapmans

Next, lose 2 mins on Chapmans, 2 on Suikerbossie and fly to the finish from there.

I averaged 42.1 from top of Llandudno to the finish, for the first time having a wheel to suck. We broke away from the rest on the little climb out of Campsbay. I finished strongly.

I am not saying that it would have been easy but as the front of A1 did 2h50, I could afford to lose 2 mins on each of the 4 climbs, suck my way the rest of the way and potentially still have still have 2 mins in the bank.

I would have hated it as opposed to the very enjoyable, easy ride I did have but with fast moving groups coming through having started at 2 minutes (yes I know that later bunches caught earlier ones) I think one can afford to not burn all your matches on the hills and still not have to wait for a fast bunch to jump onto. 

That illustrates it nicely, but you then have to get a 1A start!  This wouldn't work from say 1F and back.

Archived