Canyon bicycles now available direct to South Africa

shaper

Mine arrived pretty much the morning I got sick. Was very frustrating to just watch, but just could not get my body on a bike.

Had a small fight with customs to convince them it fall in the 'racing bike' category, instead of 'other'... difference is 25% import tax vs 0%, so was willing to delay/argument about it.

End up paying just the 6%GST, which frustratingly fall away Wednesday- was an election promise of the new government. If I only waited, but a month no one expected them to win :)c80003a759ad7688a6f43a22a927891e.jpg10832f3bc19e5ff03d7d551ff60fb22b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Congrats on the new bike ! I am looking to purchase the :https://www.canyon.com/en-za/road/inflite/inflite-cf-slx-9-0.html  cross bike as there is a serious lack of gravel/cross options in SA. If I may ask how long did it take to receive the bike - from the minute you ordered to you receiving it in SA? Also when discussing the VAT/import duties , did you do so telephonically/email or did you have to go somewhere?  Enjoy the new bike!

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on the new bike ! I am looking to purchase the :https://www.canyon.com/en-za/road/inflite/inflite-cf-slx-9-0.html  cross bike as there is a serious lack of gravel/cross options in SA. If I may ask how long did it take to receive the bike - from the minute you ordered to you receiving it in SA? Also when discussing the VAT/import duties , did you do so telephonically/email or did you have to go somewhere?  Enjoy the new bike!

First you might want to see that his location is KL and not RSA, so answers likely to have no benefit

First you might want to see that his location is KL and not RSA, so answers likely to have no benefit

:whistling:  lol thank you for this....

if anyone can advise - please advise! Looking at this bikes costing - +- 3000USD even with 15%on15% the bike is still cheaper than some gravel options in SA. Bike look sexy as hell-aswell 

Imported a Inflite CX bike last month.

Ordered on the Thursday evening, was delivered the following Monday afternoon.

Online ordering process took 5 minutes at most.

1 x payment to UPS for Vat of 15% (bikes imported for personal use carry a 15% VAT charge only, no duty)

Bike build 30 minutes from time of opening box

This is great news - so a week or two at most for delivery time! sounds good.

Correct. (fyi 10 days, with half of that stationary in the local custom clearance)

Anyone else have some feedback on delivery time between Germany and SA? ( CPT or JHB) 

Mine was on track for 4 - 5 days, but then

+ 1.5 Days - Lady processing my VAT/ Duty payment did not show up for work

+ 2 Days - Pulled for random inspection by customs (Pulled Wed, scheduled for Fri inspection
+ 2 Days - "The shipment is being held. Commodity description information must be validated by the sender." Canyon sent this through on the same day. Then it was the weekend.

So, was scheduled for delivery last Monday according to UPS' online tracking. Phoned this morning and it has finally been released by customs. Should make it back into the UPS system this PM for delivery Wed.

+ 2 Days - Pulled for random inspection by customs (Pulled Wed, scheduled for Fri inspection

+ 2 Days - "The shipment is being held. Commodity description information must be validated by the sender." Canyon sent this through on the same day. Then it was the weekend.

So, was scheduled for delivery last Monday according to UPS' online tracking. Phoned this morning and it has finally been released by customs. Should make it back into the UPS system this PM for delivery Wed.

So our friends at customs cost you a week, or rather 5.5 work days...

Yip. But that's the (un)luck of the draw. Paying it forward for all the okes and vroukes who will get theirs in 5 days from ordering. 

In my correspondence with Canyon they have identified the "extra info needed" as an area they will address from their side as a permanent solution, which should avoid future delays. I can get beyond a bunch of people who rather than just chucking a quick fix on something, takes a step back and adjust their system to put a permanent solution in place. 

Anyway, I'll be on the stoep if anyone is looking for me...

Jurie, Sorry if this was asked before but how long did you wait for the bike from the day you ordered? Beautiful bike! Enjoy! 

Thanks, Paid the bike the Friday afternoon and received it the next Friday. 1 day delay cause of incorrect customs clearance. 

Thanks, Paid the bike the Friday afternoon and received it the next Friday. 1 day delay cause of incorrect customs clearance. 

Thank you - and the process of sorting out the clearance issue > were you able to sort that out via email/phone? 

Thank you - were you able to sort out all above mentioned delays etc via email/phone? 

Thank you - were you able to sort out all above mentioned delays etc via email/phone? 

Yes.

Via email with Canyon. They replied the same day and sent a follow up email to confirm info had been sent.

Via phone with UPS / Customs. When their usual customer care couldn't provide detailed info they gave me a direct number of a lady on customs' side who helped with answers and confirming process, etc. She could check with customs when my parcel was booked for inspection and could then confirm that it had been inspected and what the report said. 

Just don't  expect UPS to come back to you (updating you on progress out of their own) or for customs to hint at the slightest possibility of going the extra mile. But in terms of sorting an issue with a call centre / customer support this has been plain sailing. 

Edit: To add one could tell that Canyon is geared for email correspondence and direct customer service. Also when the query from customs went through they sorted it on the same day and knew what to do. 

Yes.

Via email with Canyon. They replied the same day and sent a follow up email to confirm info had been sent.

Via phone with UPS / Customs. When their usual customer care couldn't provide detailed info they gave me a direct number of a lady on customs' side who helped with answers and confirming process, etc. She could check with customs when my parcel was booked for inspection and could then confirm that it had been inspected and what the report said. 

Just don't  expect UPS to come back to you (updating you on progress out of their own) or for customs to hint at the slightest possibility of going the extra mile. But in terms of sorting an issue with a call centre / customer support this has been plain sailing. 

Edit: To add one could tell that Canyon is geared for email correspondence and direct customer service. Also when the query from customs went through they sorted it on the same day and knew what to do. 

Seems Canyon Bikes know how to look after their customers .... well done Canyon!

Yes.

Thank you - ordering tonight so will keep you all posted.