Canyon bicycles now available direct to South Africa

shaper

I like the colour, many happy rides!!

Congrats Sias

Also like that colour

Unfortunately it's my better half's bike! But thanks, I'll convey the message!  :D

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, that would make me a bad person.

If you want it, and can afford it, buy it.

I don't understand the question...

(At a push: because what you should go for is the eTap version)

You don’t need a “good” reason. Wanting a new bike is “good enough” buy it!

That's what I meant, no good enough reason not to. Just do it.

Think of it this way... you will regret not buying it ;)

So after being unable to find a good reason not to (and many good reasons to) buy the bike, I finally pulled the trigger this morning  :w00t:

Now to find a way to suffer through the months of waiting until it arrives  :( (estimated delivery date is only in August)

So after being unable to find a good reason not to (and many good reasons to) buy the bike, I finally pulled the trigger this morning  :w00t:

Now to find a way to suffer through the months of waiting until it arrives  :( (estimated delivery date is only in August)

What did you get ?????

On this: we had a scrap with customs and Canyon regarding the 0% rating. Apparently the 0% rating only applies to a bike that had it's origins in the EU, iow the TOTAL bike and its parts had to come from the EU. Seeing as the parts and wheels come from another country and the bike is only ASSEMBLED in Germany, it doesn't qualify as being imported from the EU. That was their excuse/reason.

As clear as mud.

So it would be far better to buy the frame from Canyon and then the wheel and group sets locally? 

So it would be far better to buy the frame from Canyon and then the wheel and group sets locally? 

No, I priced some of it and if you take the cost of the frame and buy the same wheels locally, it will cost more than the bike from Canyon and the duties. Basically the group-set comes free.

No, I priced some of it and if you take the cost of the frame and buy the same wheels locally, it will cost more than the bike from Canyon and the duties. Basically the group-set comes free.

I am looking at doing this. But all parts to be imported. I am within $100 but with better wheels and a bit of bling/colour matching I want that I cannot get from buying stock

I am looking at doing this. But all parts to be imported. I am within $100 but with better wheels and a bit of bling/colour matching I want that I cannot get from buying stock

Who are you using for the components?  I went through the same exercise and they were so competitively priced even after the additional duty the complete bike was cheaper than importing the frame from Canyon and components from Merlin/CRC.  Maybe if you caught a great deal on a groupset it could make sense, but I've yet to spot a good deal on a complete disc with Di2/Etap groupset.

Who are you using for the components? I went through the same exercise and they were so competitively priced even after the additional duty the complete bike was cheaper than importing the frame from Canyon and components from Merlin/CRC. Maybe if you caught a great deal on a groupset it could make sense, but I've yet to spot a good deal on a complete disc with Di2/Etap groupset.

Lokking at an endurace cf sl 8.0 DI2

Going the frameset route gives me the H36 integrated handlebar which is $200 more than the stock bar and stem

So

Adding that 200 to the stock price and saving on the cheaper shipping of a frameset vs complete bike plus the 15% duty (and vat on that duty) I can build within the pricerange

Looking at Starbike (german comp) for groupset - they sell configurable complete groupsets.

So instead of buying stock and selling parts to replace with what I want I can get

Medium cage RD

11-32 Casette

Tubeless tyres either 28 or 30 (still deciding)

Saddle I want

Bar tape I want

Bit deeper section Alu wheels I feel will look better

Crank lenghts you want

So in total I am witin $100 before the “loss factor” of selling stock parts to be replaced with what I want.

The swing for me is that 15% duty on complete bikes. Makes the difference worth it I believe

Edited by daniemare

10% off all bikes at 2017 black Friday sale

They also have good specials leading up to Christmas. Got myself a Canyon Neuron on one of them.