Canyon bicycles now available direct to South Africa

shaper

Am I being super dof - I can only get the website to produce dollar pricing and it seems the be the US site.

Even when I get to the German site and select South Africa it seems to auto direct me to USA.

Or does one have to go to the cart, put in shipping address etc then they quote you the actual price?

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I being super dof - I can only get the website to produce dollar pricing and it seems the be the US site.

Even when I get to the German site and select South Africa it seems to auto direct me to USA.

Or does one have to go to the cart, put in shipping address etc then they quote you the actual price?

Nope that's right! You will pay in USD. They don't give prices in rand so you will not be able to get an exact rand amount until you've actually paid and the funds go off your account. I bought at R11.80 to the $ and after bank fees it was more like R12.05 to the $. 

Nope that's right! You will pay in USD. They don't give prices in rand so you will not be able to get an exact rand amount until you've actually paid and the funds go off your account. I bought at R11.80 to the $ and after bank fees it was more like R12.05 to the $. 

That's very good!  Banks usually charge 2.75% of transaction value for the forex conversion.  It's actually where the WORST noncompetitive behavior sits and nobody seriously takes them on about it.

For the guys wanting to wait till November etc for better deals or to leave time for saving up.

If worried about the exchange rates (especially whilst they are good now) I found 2 tools quite useful

1 - Gift cards

Buying CRC (or like) gift cards for yourself essentially converts you ZAR to GBP without asking SARB and SARS

2 - New funds USD or EUR exchange traded fund

You are essentially buying a share that is valued at the spot rate at the time of purhase. If you use something like easy Easy Equities is cheap to transact, get dollar cost averaging, and dollar interest. You then sell and transfer back to your credit card when you buy the bicycle.

It’s not 100% cover, but will hedge if the ZAR goes from 12 to 14 over the next 6 months

For the guys wanting to wait till November etc for better deals or to leave time for saving up.

If worried about the exchange rates (especially whilst they are good now) I found 2 tools quite useful

1 - Gift cards

Buying CRC (or like) gift cards for yourself essentially converts you ZAR to GBP without asking SARB and SARS

2 - New funds USD or EUR exchange traded fund

You are essentially buying a share that is valued at the spot rate at the time of purhase. If you use something like easy Easy Equities is cheap to transact, get dollar cost averaging, and dollar interest. You then sell and transfer back to your credit card when you buy the bicycle.

It’s not 100% cover, but will hedge if the ZAR goes from 12 to 14 over the next 6 months

If you bank with Investec you can get a free USD call deposit account (onshore account denominated in USD) and you can just transfer the cash monies into it. Costs ZAR175 to put the cash in and another US$13 to transfer the cash out again at the end. Just done this for my bike. Takes a few days to transfer either way with exchange control and all that but otherwise hassle-free. Can do the whole thing online.

Edit: the account is also offered in EUR and GBP.

Edited by Jehosefat

If you bank with Investec you can get a free USD call deposit account (onshore account denominated in USD) and you can just transfer the cash monies into it. Costs ZAR175 to put the cash in and another US$13 to transfer the cash out again at the end. Just done this for my bike. Takes a few days to transfer either way with exchange control and all that but otherwise hassle-free. Can do the whole thing online.

Edit: the account is also offered in EUR and GBP.

That’s to expensive. And their spread is afwul. I have used this, you defenitely do not want to use this for small monthly amounts whilst you save

I'm trying really, really hard to convince myself not to pull the trigger on a Ultimate CF SLX Disc 8.0 Di2 in Gran Turismo Blue...

Reasons for trying to stop myself:

• Current bike is only 9 months old
  • Current bike has only done about 4,000km
  • +- R82k
Please help me to find more reasons...
Life is short. Buy the damn bike.

If you want to be fiscally responsible, sell the old one and put that money into some investment. Then you have a nice bike, and a nice investment. (Ignore the nett effect. Bikes don't need rational thinking.)

That’s to expensive. And their spread is afwul. I have used this, you defenitely do not want to use this for small monthly amounts whilst you save

I wasn't suggesting it for small amounts. I've just ordered a bike that was fairly expensive and I don't want to be exposed to exchange rate fluctuations on that amount of money between now and when they actually charge me for it in July/August so I was looking for an easy way to hedge that and that account is what I found.

I agree that the transfer fees are way too high for it to be used as a savings account with "small" monthly deposits.

And she has arrived last week Thursday.  Only got to putting her together on Saturday and despite all the good weather only managed a 10 km test ride Saturday afternoon but it is save to say it was an awesome purchase.

The amount of information comming from the power meter is mind blowing and it will take time to figure out what to do with all the information.  Pity that today and tommorow would most propably be rainy weather so commuting with the MTB.  Looking forward to Wednesday so I can start using her properly.

post-71-0-00372300-1524468177_thumb.jpg

post-71-0-07573300-1524468185_thumb.jpg

post-71-0-07093300-1524468191_thumb.jpg

Looks stunning. Why did you not go the route of discs?

I am still on the fence wrt disks ;)  It would schock many I know.

I am still on the fence wrt disks ;)  It would schock many I know.

Beautiful  :thumbup: 

I was actually looking over the spec this morning... The red is just so much prettier and get my blood flowing compared to the black/blue of the disk model. But then I'm ~ sold/keen on the disk brakes. decisions decisions...  :wacko:

A question to you/anyone - the "DT SWISS PR 1600 SPLINE - THROUGH AXLE WITH RWS QUICK RELEASE, WHICH IS REMOVABLE AND CAN BE USED BOTH FOR THE FRONT AND THE REAR WHEEL" that is specked on the disc model -  does the none-disk model also have removable quick release? Anyone with experience with this? - I dont know if I'm so keen on it, because the lever have to go into your saddle bag to use when fixing a puncture? (risk of getting lost?)

(Something might be ordered soon if my weight challenge progress keep it current progress).

Beautiful  :thumbup:

I was actually looking over the spec this morning... The red is just so much prettier and get my blood flowing compared to the black/blue of the disk model. But then I'm ~ sold/keen on the disk brakes. decisions decisions...  :wacko:

A question to you/anyone - the "DT SWISS PR 1600 SPLINE - THROUGH AXLE WITH RWS QUICK RELEASE, WHICH IS REMOVABLE AND CAN BE USED BOTH FOR THE FRONT AND THE REAR WHEEL" that is specked on the disc model -  does the none-disk model also have removable quick release? Anyone with experience with this? - I dont know if I'm so keen on it, because the lever have to go into your saddle bag to use when fixing a puncture? (risk of getting lost?)

(Something might be ordered soon if my weight challenge progress keep it current progress).

Has a normal quick release but don't think you could use it as a tyre lever.  Looks thinks and does not swivel like normal quick releases.  Can take a pic tonight and post if you like.

The amount of information comming from the power meter is mind blowing and it will take time to figure out what to do with all the information. 

Power meter ?

Did it come with one, what is it and how did you specify it ?