Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

So, a quick ride report for other hubbers on the new Klipheuwel loop. I left from Hoogies parking.

Total distance: +-66.5km, 1350m ascent, doing Cobra, Welvergenoegd and Fair Cape loop (don't have exact distances as I needed to ride a few detours to find entrance).

The new Klipheuwel loop is +-12km with 164m ascent. Cool fun loop, fast and lekka views. 

I started from Spes Bona. From Fair Cape loop I exited at the Adderley corridor, onto Adderley Road.

The ride to the Spes Bona entrance is +-7km. About 2.5km gentle uphill, then mainly downhill. The Malanshoogte entrance is +-3km (half up and downhill).

Caution 1: Adderley road is used by quite a few cars/trucks going at 100km+. At places hardly any shoulder! Spes Bona also has some traffic and is a gravel road (dust!).

You essentially do a big loop around this big blob of a hill, which imo is screaming out for lots of single track ascent/descent tracks. Hopefully farm owners will play ball here if approached? Currently the loop is quite isolated and the traffic situation won't really entice me to combine again with other loops. Riding it on its own: meh

Caution 2: there are some compression dips on two downhills, which can be tricky at high speed. There's a big one at 2.5km in (nearly lost it) and a few more at around the 10km mark.

Enjoy guys and gals

Thanks for the review. Based on the feedback, unless I happen to find myself in that part of the world, I don't foresee myself riding there soon then.

Riding from Blouberg side, that will be quite a stretch. It might come in useful when training for long distance rides such as Karoo to Coast, with Welvergenoegd, Faircape in the mix. 

I'll wait and see what transpires.

Also, those compression dips - after my last fall, I am not too keen on a repeat soon.

(Patrick did say that the trail was mostly a-frames and animal tracks, and that there was not much grooming of trails as such.)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you ride within your limits, and keep your wits about you, you will be perfectly safe. 

I did get almost caught out the first time, by the first deep dip because I was going too fast, but a quick dab of the brakes, unloading of the front, and I was through / over it. (must admit, was the first time I got full compression of my meager 100mm travel on the fork :blush: ) 

You will only come short if you do not concentrate and just go blasting along. As you most probably would on almost every other trail.

Edited by Wannabe

If you ride within your limits, and keep your wits about you, you will be perfectly safe. 

I did get almost caught out the first time, by the first deep dip because I was going too fast, but a quick dab of the brakes, unloading of the front, and I was through / over it. (must admit, was the first time I got full compression of my meager 100mm travel on the fork :blush: ) 

You will only come short if you do not concentrate and just go blasting along. As you most probably would on almost every other trail.

Yup, exactly what happened to me - first time, blasting along, full compression on my 100mm fork/shock with a loud creak. Stopped to check my rim. As with everything, first time one needs to be more cautious. But this track can lull you into a false of security LOL

But overall, still a fun track to do some speed work with added distance. It's a fun addition and won't require much maintenance.

I just sure hope that we can link the trail with some other trails with that "Dorstberg-like" hill in the middle. Patrick/Captain?? More trails please  :thumbup:  :clap:  :w00t:  :drool:

I just sure hope that we can link the trail with some other trails with that "Dorstberg-like" hill in the middle. Patrick/Captain?? More trails please  :thumbup:  :clap:  :w00t:  :drool:

Rondebossieberg - The Philadelphia race sometimes goes over it. Not sure but I think at least some of it might belong to the Blanckenbergs whose farms the new trails traverse.

So who knows? Maybe one day..

......I just sure hope that we can link the trail with some other trails with that "Dorstberg-like" hill in the middle. Patrick/Captain?? More trails please  :thumbup:  :clap:  :w00t:  :drool:

There are HUGE plans for the future, some which we've been working on for a good three years. Yip, most of these relationships are formed and worked upon, for extended periods, long before an actual trail is built.

Landowner relationships are the most critical element in any trail network, and needs to be respected and handled with the utmost sensitivity.  Sadly there are always the few that show scant regard for this and simply do as they please, which inevitably puts everything, and progress, at risk.

However, as said, there are huge plans for the future which we shared with those at the AGM, and as per fbook announcement comment last week, if we have our way, the Chamois Cream manufacturers will have their hands full in keeping up with the demand.  

Happy to here folk enjoying the trails - loads of good stuff on the way  :thumbup:

There are HUGE plans for the future, some which we've been working on for a good three years. Yip, most of these relationships are formed and worked upon, for extended periods, long before an actual trail is built.

Landowner relationships are the most critical element in any trail network, and needs to be respected and handled with the utmost sensitivity.  Sadly there are always the few that show scant regard for this and simply do as they please, which inevitably puts everything, and progress, at risk.

However, as said, there are huge plans for the future which we shared with those at the AGM, and as per fbook announcement comment last week, if we have our way, the Chamois Cream manufacturers will have their hands full in keeping up with the demand.  

Happy to here folk enjoying the trails - loads of good stuff on the way  :thumbup:

Hopefully the few riders that do not abide by the Club rules won't spoil the planned development for the rest of us

Anybody know when the club will drop the membership fees for the remainder of the year?

Anybody know when the club will drop the membership fees for the remainder of the year?

Afternoon - this will be on 1 July, and details will be given through on our Facebook page.  

Just don't expect too much of an drop in price (like in the region of 50% due to the year being halfway already) :whistling:  :ph34r:

Just don't expect too much of an drop in price (like in the region of 50% due to the year being halfway already) :whistling:  :ph34r:

maybe a price increase for only waking up now, :ph34r:  :devil:  

maybe a price increase for only waking up now, :ph34r:  :devil:  

hey more trails now than in January ... increase would only be fair ....

certainly would be handy for those parents whose kids are now starting with the SPUR series.  May just be a good uptake on a "mid-year" deal ...

certainly would be handy for those parents whose kids are now starting with the SPUR series.  May just be a good uptake on a "mid-year" deal ...

Think 99% of the stuff on the trails is way beyond what you would encounter at the Spur series...  :devil:

Not sure what the kids at your school do but we had to take out Tygerberg memberships if you wanted to partake in the school training sessions.

Think 99% of the stuff on the trails is way beyond what you would encounter at the Spur series...  :devil:

Not sure what the kids at your school do but we had to take out Tygerberg memberships if you wanted to partake in the school training sessions.

JIP !!  I was trying to tell the parents that B Fever has more difficult bits than what I have seen at the SPUR events ....  :whistling:   I have a video of the Paul Roos SPUR event that I shared with them.

Membership for the kids makes life a LOT easier for the coach !

What an interesting morning .... nice misty morning, with WET grass.  Kids learnt a lot, and enjoyed the new skills.  Then some fun on B Fever .... Time for a lap of B Spot ..... Sister watches boetie 50m ahead of her, and rides off the trail ...  :eek:   She could have just stopped, nope, turns SHARPLY to get back on the trail !! front wheel slides out ....  Only a small scrape on the palm of her hand, no blood, but her convidence took a serious knock.  :wacko:   She walked a bit, but the little trooper got back on and completed B Spot  :clap:   Her boet had the time of his life !!  :thumbup:

Edited by ChrisF

for the many many parents with kids riding the trails .... you can now buy adult and kids sized club cycling tops at Anatomic 

Just picked up Maritz's top :clap:   :clap:

post-110956-0-25644300-1559821762_thumb.jpg

Having the elastic band in the sleeves removed from my shirt.  Then we will have a nice matched kit.

Very nostalgic for me reading some of these posts. I was one of the 10 or so people that got together one eveing at Union Cycles to form Tygerberg MTB Club....that must have been about 1994. We used to ride/explore those hills in those days almost at will, obv there were a few estates that we knew were a no-go and not negotiable. I remember walking up from the Majik Forest to beyond the vineyards with Meurant Botha to show him where we wanted him to cut single track for us. Good memories, but who knows, maybe I will end up back there one day.