Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

PATRICK ..... your pets were out in full force today ....

Long-12.jpg.5e74b278fe9a569c3bd08e5b1faa6e2d.jpg

This lady took her sweet old time to check out my lycra clad middle aged body ...

Long-29.jpg.0a92477caf7ac07a29afe65f99001410.jpg

This lot took some time getting past .....

Was great meeting you this morning Chris - glad we could share some time together on the trails.  

16 hours ago, ChrisF said:

This lot took some time getting past .....

I always smile at people struggling to pass cattle. I mean, they are intimidating, but more docile than you'd think. Just take it easy close to the bull.

Usually a firm, loud 'HA,  HA,   HA' does the trick. They will generally move out of the way as that is the universal cattle herding language to let them understand who's in charge. For added effect you could open your arms wide and slowly advance to the direction you want to clear. They will take that as a cue to go the opposite direction.

It works on my dad's farm, all the neighbouring farms and also as I've found on many occasions on Patrick's pets too. On one particular ride on the old Contermans - Meerendal corridor I was confronted with some cows, and a lady was parked on the other side. I came down, and gave them a loud HA and they all moved off to the side. Her response was an incredulous "how did you know that would work?" in wide eyed wonder. She was sitting there for maybe 15 minutes, too afraid to pass, when I showed up and rode through the herd with no issues.

49 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I always smile at people struggling to pass cattle. I mean, they are intimidating, but more docile than you'd think. Just take it easy close to the bull.

Usually a firm, loud 'HA,  HA,   HA' does the trick. They will generally move out of the way as that is the universal cattle herding language to let them understand who's in charge. For added effect you could open your arms wide and slowly advance to the direction you want to clear. They will take that as a cue to go the opposite direction.

It works on my dad's farm, all the neighbouring farms and also as I've found on many occasions on Patrick's pets too. On one particular ride on the old Contermans - Meerendal corridor I was confronted with some cows, and a lady was parked on the other side. I came down, and gave them a loud HA and they all moved off to the side. Her response was an incredulous "how did you know that would work?" in wide eyed wonder. She was sitting there for maybe 15 minutes, too afraid to pass, when I showed up and rode through the herd with no issues.

Now I know the language of the cows!????:thumbup:
Sometimes it's just easier not to disturb the whole herd though, often times they are all in one spot (between Protea hotel and Altydgedacht)

50 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

This lot was in a "triangle" at an A frame ....

Each time one tried to move the herd had nowhere to go ....

Just took a few seconds longer.

I made sure to stay close to the fence, and gradually and consistantly moved forward ....

• 4 weeks later...

I rode Contermans for the first time in maybe 2-3 years - wow!  Great condition, some new pieces added, it was a blast.

That link from Meerendal is a pig though 😬

43 minutes ago, SiriS said:

I rode Contermans for the first time in maybe 2-3 years - wow!  Great condition, some new pieces added, it was a blast.

That link from Meerendal is a pig though 😬

The "Missing link" corridor ?

I rode it yesterday .... that first drop has some nasty loose pebbles .....  that thing is going to be "fun" by the end of the holiday traffic .... :whistling: :cursing:

9 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

The "Missing link" corridor ?

I rode it yesterday .... that first drop has some nasty loose pebbles .....  that thing is going to be "fun" by the end of the holiday traffic .... :whistling: :cursing:

the one from top of Visserhok to Contermans - steep climb up to Conties and off-camber downhill back...almost karked myself going down there 😃 

19 minutes ago, SiriS said:

the one from top of Visserhok to Contermans - steep climb up to Conties and off-camber downhill back...almost karked myself going down there 😃 

That is Oatlands corridor.

Tricky, but okay.

Boys, if I pull from Blouberg 

there is that one section of “informal” settlement something NU—

is that stretch fine

2 minutes ago, DIPSLICK said:

Boys, if I pull from Blouberg 

there is that one section of “informal” settlement something NU—

is that stretch fine

Du Noon

NO .... IT IS NOT SAFE.

You can draw a radius of a few kilometers around that .... still not safe

Best to drive to one of three spots:

1. Contermanskloof

2. Bloemendal

3. Hoogekraal

All three have nice parking, and day passes.

The first two have coffe shop facilities.

8 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Du Noon

NO .... IT IS NOT SAFE.

You can draw a radius of a few kilometers around that .... still not safe

Best to drive to one of three spots:

1. Contermanskloof

2. Bloemendal

3. Hoogekraal

All three have nice parking, and day passes.

The first two have coffe shop facilities.

Thanks 

so if I get my wife to drive me to tygerberg??

On 6/6/2021 at 1:32 PM, ChrisF said:

BIG thumbs up to Patrick and his teams for excellent trails :thumbup: :clap:

L3-6.jpg.d10f34e84c671c2488caf3b9f0722c67.jpg

L3-18.jpg.a78b8afe4ca8499d4c9da0166a6d4ff7.jpg

Despite the late rains, they have managed to get to most of the trails, and it SHOWS ! :clap:

The odd "lost" day visitor is part of the landscape ..... 

When a club member (4425) takes two friends for a ride of the trails, one would expect him to know where his buddies are allowed with their day-permits .... NO, wait, one would actually expect this club member to get his buddies to PAY for their day-permits !!  And NO, when you enter Traverse FROM Bloemendal at NINE O-CLOCK, no ways anybody is going to believe you that the "store was closed" and you could not buy your day permits .....

L3-33.jpg.3a0fe715d4da1231573e215dd05725f4.jpg

And for the gent riding Traverse with a day-permit, who previously was a club member.  YES, the trails ARE clearly marked ....

L3-8.jpg.301c9b86e51d303858eaa9d06926f9e6.jpg

Riding without paying makes you a douche. 

you guys need to chill... bringing guys once on a traverse won't hurt anyone as long as you follow the marked trails, and sometimes can be the best way to bring new members on the long run. I always found that the fact that it's impossible to take friends who aren't members for day ride around the network was stupid...

I'd save my energy and be mad at the idiots who don't lock the gates or throw their gels in the grass rather.

Edited by Jbr