Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

Anyone been down Rooikat recently? See they redid the beginning of the trail so it all smooth ground. Might just be me but hope they don't redo the rest of the trail. The loose rocks/gravel is what makes it fun and challenging, If I wanted to be rattled before every switch back I would go ride Bloemendaaler :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Puncher said:

Does anyone know when the Tygerberg annual membership gets discounted?

Afternoon - it is annually on 1 July.  Follow our social channels on Facebook and Instagram for offical announcement and details.  Post will be made by Friday.

Regards

• 2 months later...

how safe is it to traverse most of the trails on your lonesome? ill be driving to them.  probably mostly hoogekraal/contermans? I bought a membership for the remainder of 22, but will mostly be on my own. I have ridden these trail networks before. I'm just a bit skittish about these two specifically and  heading out alone after my bike jacking on contermans road. I know there are no garentees but can one assume it's safe inside the fences?

57 minutes ago, MORNE said:

how safe is it to traverse most of the trails on your lonesome? ill be driving to them.  probably mostly hoogekraal/contermans? I bought a membership for the remainder of 22, but will mostly be on my own. I have ridden these trail networks before. I'm just a bit skittish about these two specifically and  heading out alone after my bike jacking on contermans road. I know there are no garentees but can one assume it's safe inside the fences?

From Hoogies to Conties you must not take Contermanskloof road, but Visserhoek or the missing link instead :

image.png.57144a9ded6b686b64d0bbf2d67835a5.png

Oatlands-East-Corridor-1030x583.jpg

I always ride alone, it's fine on the network, it's just if you need to connect by the road that you must avoid contermanskloof road. It actually doesn't really makes sense using it as you can get in from two places on vissershoek (bottom and top see maps above) and you can also connect it to bloemendal/bloemendaaler from the top of the two masts (it will test your fitness though)

Edited by Jbr

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

Agree with JBR

The trails are safe - touch wood

The only bit that has my spidey senses in overdrive is the 4-way stop outside Hoogies ....  at least you have visibility and can spot the loiterers and adjust your route accordingly.

The rest of the tar section to FairCape is okay.

5 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Agree with JBR

The trails are safe - touch wood

The only bit that has my spidey senses in overdrive is the 4-way stop outside Hoogies ....  at least you have visibility and can spot the loiterers and adjust your route accordingly.

The rest of the tar section to FairCape is okay.

13 minutes ago, Jbr said:

From Hoogies to Conties you must not take Contermanskloof road, but Visserhoek or the missing link instead :

image.png.57144a9ded6b686b64d0bbf2d67835a5.png

Oatlands-East-Corridor-1030x583.jpg

I always ride alone, it's fine on the network, it's just if you need to connect by the road that you must avoid contermanskloof road. It actually doesn't really makes sense using it as you can get in from two places on vissershoek (bottom and top see maps above) and you can also connect it to bloemendal/bloemendaaler from the top of the two masts (it will test your fitness though)

thanks @Jbr, I saw these in the trail map and that was basically my question. 

@ChrisF we rightly should be. My wife's obstetrician told us that 2 of his doctor friends were attacked on their bikes at that 4 way crossing a few years ago.

Ive noticed that since it's spring and a lot of work is happening in the vineyards, there seems to be a lot of informal labourers loitering around all over the place....most probably from dunoon. 

2 hours ago, MORNE said:

Been riding the trails alone for 8 years and never had a problem, obviously you always need to be vigilant, but once you are on the farms there is little to worry about besides the of snake and cow.

There is a new traverse from contermans to hoegoes via Anne bulla which is pretty direct and cuts out 90% of the road riding you had to do previously. 

More than happy to show you the way a couples of times till you get comfortable with it. DM me if interested

Anyone maybe have route I can use for base miles using the tygerberg trail network? Nothing to technical in terms of elevation, perhaps maybe using the corridors to link the different trails. Just wanna try and get some distance in off road.

Any ideas?

39 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Anyone maybe have route I can use for base miles using the tygerberg trail network? Nothing to technical in terms of elevation, perhaps maybe using the corridors to link the different trails. Just wanna try and get some distance in off road.

Any ideas?

I haven't ridden there yet but perhaps give Faircape and klipheuwel a look?

https://www.trailforks.com/region/faircape-23173/?activitytype=1&z=12.7&lat=-33.75651&lon=18.62131

1 hour ago, Bub Marley said:

Any ideas?

Like @Newbie321 said, if you link up Klipheuwel & Faircape you can get roughly 35km of mostly non-technical trails and not too much climbing

7 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

Any ideas?

The Fair Cape loop is NICE .... but it certainly has its bit of elevation, and the start is certainly not technical, but also not beginner friendly .....   Though this bit of "technicality" certainly should be part of any training program.

Starting at Bloemendal, then Traverse and back via Protea corridor (or in reverse) is a nice 15km lap.  Minimal climbing, by Tygerberg standards, and certainly not technical.  Very easy to pack in the laps as your fitness increase.

For a real workout .... do a lap or two up to the mast and back .....  but this certainly is not what you were asking for.

On a similar "not asked for" note .... Terra CLIMB, and that little black section to the trees above Bloemies certainly is a worthwhile bit to throw in every so often .....  Once you go out and ride an event you are bound to be glad that you included this in your training.

You may also want to include the blue route at Contermanskloof.  Short, bit of climbing, but a nice little repeatable route if you want to push up the miles.

OR ..... Bellville - Protea Corridor - lap of Bloemies - up to the mast - lap of Conties - down either of the two corridors to Hoogies - up the tar to Fair Cape - 1/2 lap, pop out onto Adderly St.  If you turn back now it is a 60km ride (very hard return ride if the wind pumps!!).  For some real miles, turn left and have coffee in Philladelphia.  Coming back turn left and do the trails on the other side of the road, linking back via Spes Bona.  Sure, this includes a fair bit of climbing, but no more than you will experience in any event in the Western Cape.

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

The Fair Cape loop is NICE .... but it certainly has its bit of elevation, and the start is certainly not technical, but also not beginner friendly .....   Though this bit of "technicality" certainly should be part of any training program.

Starting at Bloemendal, then Traverse and back via Protea corridor (or in reverse) is a nice 15km lap.  Minimal climbing, by Tygerberg standards, and certainly not technical.  Very easy to pack in the laps as your fitness increase.

For a real workout .... do a lap or two up to the mast and back .....  but this certainly is not what you were asking for.

On a similar "not asked for" note .... Terra CLIMB, and that little black section to the trees above Bloemies certainly is a worthwhile bit to throw in every so often .....  Once you go out and ride an event you are bound to be glad that you included this in your training.

You may also want to include the blue route at Contermanskloof.  Short, bit of climbing, but a nice little repeatable route if you want to push up the miles.

OR ..... Bellville - Protea Corridor - lap of Bloemies - up to the mast - lap of Conties - down either of the two corridors to Hoogies - up the tar to Fair Cape - 1/2 lap, pop out onto Adderly St.  If you turn back now it is a 60km ride (very hard return ride if the wind pumps!!).  For some real miles, turn left and have coffee in Philladelphia.  Coming back turn left and do the trails on the other side of the road, linking back via Spes Bona.  Sure, this includes a fair bit of climbing, but no more than you will experience in any event in the Western Cape.

Amazing. Thanks. 

• 2 months later...

1 December .... entries open for 2023 membership 👍

TIP - log into your club account, go to your "previous orders", select last years order, then "renew order" ...  no need to re-type all the stuff

Edited by ChrisF

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

First batch of membership cards are at Protea 👍

20221202_161853.jpg.14b7db45fed68b0bd152e2058d5d048c.jpg

Thank the ghosts. Green will go with my bike this time around