[Event] Bestmed Tour Of Good Hope

PRFullstop

Like how the organisers casually sneak in major route changes in the bottom of the article while only highlighting the TT - they clearly think their customers are idiots

https://inthebunch.co.za/2019/02/time-trial-change-brings-fresh-element-to-tour-of-good-hope/

He outlined a number of changes they had been forced to make.

“The N1 tunnel on Du Toitskloof Pass is undergoing a period of maintenance, with work being done to tunnel number two.

“We have consulted with the traffic authorities, as well as Sanral, and subsequently ruled out the mountain stage over Du Toitskloof.

The explanation he does give doesn't make sense at all as we don't use the N1 tunnel on the Du Toits Kloof pass and what about Franschoek which is also out?

So deflated. I followed a colleague doing the race last year and jumped at the opportunity to ride it myself in 2019.

I have done all the PPA rides, so this will barely be a tepid and expensive rehash of all that. Stage 4 will be the only worthwhile ride.

Again, entries closed long before the route reveal. I entered based on last year's route, which was awesome.

No excuses for CTCT now. Not like I'm doing insane riding in the week leading up to it any longer.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like how the organisers casually sneak in major route changes in the bottom of the article while only highlighting the TT - they clearly think their customers are idiots

https://inthebunch.co.za/2019/02/time-trial-change-brings-fresh-element-to-tour-of-good-hope/

He outlined a number of changes they had been forced to make.

“The N1 tunnel on Du Toitskloof Pass is undergoing a period of maintenance, with work being done to tunnel number two.

“We have consulted with the traffic authorities, as well as Sanral, and subsequently ruled out the mountain stage over Du Toitskloof.

The explanation he does give doesn't make sense at all as we don't use the N1 tunnel on the Du Toits Kloof pass and what about Franschoek which is also out?

it could be the short little tunnel on the actual Du Toitskloof Pass as you climb to the top from Worcester side i.e. the alternative route tunnel &

Not the Toll Road tunnel.

Road works on the N1 is still ongoing. Last year that little drag was pretty dangerous with motorists not giving the cyclists any room. The tunnel on old Du toits was also pretty dangerous because the road surface was terrible and there is no visibility inside its that dark. This has all played a role but I don't like the late hour of the announcement of the route.

Maybe they did their best to secure the old route but keeping riders informed would have gone a long way in maintaining trust

Road works on the N1 is still ongoing. Last year that little drag was pretty dangerous with motorists not giving the cyclists any room. The tunnel on old Du toits was also pretty dangerous because the road surface was terrible and there is no visibility inside its that dark. This has all played a role but I don't like the late hour of the announcement of the route.

Maybe they did their best to secure the old route but keeping riders informed would have gone a long way in maintaining trust

There were serious doubts the event would happen at all as they struggled to find a new headline sponsor. Takealot came on board later last year and only then did they open entries.

Perhaps they left the actual organization/planning/routing of the race up to that (very late) point.

Agree that keeping us informed and communicating the challenges would have been helpful. But as it stands I believe they acted disingenuously, taking entries upfront and not communicating route issues because they didn't want it to affect demand.

Then they don't even own up to it, publishing this marketing nonsense yesterday: "time trial switch adds spice to Tour of Good Hope"

A more appropriate headline: "customer pays for 3 course meal, gets fish&chips instead."

By the by, all this info I've gleaned from cycling media. As an entrant the ONLY communication I've received from ASG was my confirmation of payment. Zero correspondence otherwise.

There were serious doubts the event would happen at all as they struggled to find a new headline sponsor. Takealot came on board later last year and only then did they open entries.

I am really rooting for the TOGH to be successful. No PPA funride or WP league race will take us over Franschoek, Du Toits and Bainskloof, nevermind all 3 which is what makes this race unique. No other race caters to the type of rider who will race 500km during the week and still do the Argus on Sunday. My gut feel is that the organisers are misreading their market, even with Du Toit's closed they still could have kept Franschoek even if it is out & back or point-to-point, crappy logistics for 1 day beats a boring Cyclosportif route every time for this crowd.

I also got the sense riding last year that the race is barely surviving and needs more entrants to be sustainable. I do hope this change is not the last straw that kills this event off the calendar. 

I think they had the right idea of getting teams to enter to make it worth while. Some of my best riding was against a certain patches team with a few ringers in it and another team with horns! Actual team racing with people of similar ability is awesome.

Funnily enough this is what the Sportifs were like last year with the league split out. Was some fun team racing between cyclopaths, us, UCT, team 13, star team, outcast star team, outriders.

If togh was keen on the team idea I would have expected a mail or try and touch base online with the 5 biggest teams in CT. But alas, nothing.

I am really rooting for the TOGH to be successful. No PPA funride or WP league race will take us over Franschoek, Du Toits and Bainskloof, nevermind all 3 which is what makes this race unique. No other race caters to the type of rider who will race 500km during the week and still do the Argus on Sunday. My gut feel is that the organisers are misreading their market, even with Du Toit's closed they still could have kept Franschoek even if it is out & back or point-to-point, crappy logistics for 1 day beats a boring Cyclosportif route every time for this crowd.

I also got the sense riding last year that the race is barely surviving and needs more entrants to be sustainable. I do hope this change is not the last straw that kills this event off the calendar. 

Exactly my sentiments. This is going to be my fourth ToGH and I really want it to succeed and to stay on the calendar. It has been a highlight of every year for the past three years.

However, with the poor communication and blatantly bad attitude from ASG, I would not be surprised if this is indeed the last straw.

I am not sure how they are going to get us to trust them again for next year... people would be reluctant to enter early, but then it might seem as though there isn't enough interest and it does not go ahead.

I think they had the right idea of getting teams to enter to make it worth while. Some of my best riding was against a certain patches team with a few ringers in it and another team with horns! Actual team racing with people of similar ability is awesome.

Funnily enough this is what the Sportifs were like last year with the league split out. Was some fun team racing between cyclopaths, us, UCT, team 13, star team, outcast star team, outriders.

If togh was keen on the team idea I would have expected a mail or try and touch base online with the 5 biggest teams in CT. But alas, nothing.

Would that be Oryx? :P  

I think in terms of organizing a tour, a lot goes into it, and needs a fair amount of logistics and sponsorship. The year I did it, I can't even remember who the title sponsor was - this needs to change (Although I think it was BestMed back then already). Title Sponsors require interest in the events they sponsor and get the exposure the deserve. 

My opinion, and maybe it's just me, but they don't. Cycling is not as big an advertised sport as Rugby and Soccer / Football, and lets be fair, not as many people in our country are interested in it.

Something I also felt was that all the exposure was focused on the Pro's and nothing on the Amateur Racing or Individual categories. I would think a lot more interest would be generated if you gave the everyday cyclist as much of a pro tour feeling as the Pro's get - have a tweet feed with updates, some roadside facebook live videos . Friends and family can follow, and maybe you get your moment of fame when you're in the break of the day and mentioned in the tweet or seen passing in the peloton. That **** lasts forever and inspires others.

Ever since ASG hijacked the event (under a different name and can be discussed over a cuppa), it has lost a big part of the event. Maybe it's logistical issues, but I've volunteered on two occasions before participating and the routes were different and more challenging.

I think in terms of organizing a tour, a lot goes into it, and needs a fair amount of logistics and sponsorship. The year I did it, I can't even remember who the title sponsor was - this needs to change (Although I think it was BestMed back then already). Title Sponsors require interest in the events they sponsor and get the exposure the deserve. 

My opinion, and maybe it's just me, but they don't. Cycling is not as big an advertised sport as Rugby and Soccer / Football, and lets be fair, not as many people in our country are interested in it.

Something I also felt was that all the exposure was focused on the Pro's and nothing on the Amateur Racing or Individual categories. I would think a lot more interest would be generated if you gave the everyday cyclist as much of a pro tour feeling as the Pro's get - have a tweet feed with updates, some roadside facebook live videos . Friends and family can follow, and maybe you get your moment of fame when you're in the break of the day and mentioned in the tweet or seen passing in the peloton. That **** lasts forever and inspires others.

Ever since ASG hijacked the event (under a different name and can be discussed over a cuppa), it has lost a big part of the event. Maybe it's logistical issues, but I've volunteered on two occasions before participating and the routes were different and more challenging.

Yeah, most of the pro teams expect invites to show up and ride. I think the ideal business model would be to have a tour of 19 teams each paying R30k each, with a corporate backer. I dont really care for bags or glasses, I will also just like a little tuck shop with coffee at venue. Would prefer no clover leaf but within 20km of Paarl so can sleep in one spot and ride in. 

Yeah, most of the pro teams expect invites to show up and ride. I think the ideal business model would be to have a tour of 19 teams each paying R30k each, with a corporate backer. I dont really care for bags or glasses, I will also just like a little tuck shop with coffee at venue. Would prefer no clover leaf but within 20km of Paarl so can sleep in one spot and ride in. 

The old race (Tour de Boland) was exactly like that - feels like a tour but not far out by distances - I think the one year they started in Paarl and stages finished in Tulbagh and Riebeek Kasteel, possibly Worcester too.

You were the best volunteer we ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Come join us for pasella for a week of real touring, on the tourdeboland.com

All thanks muct go to CSA and ASG in assisting us in achieving our latest status: one of the coolest, most profitable and enjoyable cyclo-tours in the province....and it is still just a sideline.

The old race (Tour de Boland) was exactly like that - feels like a tour but not far out by distances - I think the one year they started in Paarl and stages finished in Tulbagh and Riebeek Kasteel, possibly Worcester too.

I hope it survives. Its something I've been keeping one eye on for a long time (makes the mission down for CTCT more justifiable in my opinion) but just havent been able to pull the trigger yet, but I like to think that someday I will. Until then I need you guys to support the event to keep the organisers interested ;-)

We are looking at re-introducing the TdB from 2020 onwards - with a nice twist or two - so a poll might advise whether it should be clover-leaf or a "real" tour. 

Anyone keen to share a few more needs, before we establish a poll?

Open your own thread.

It won't be in conflict with this thread.