[Event] Bestmed Tour Of Good Hope

PRFullstop

When I win the power all tonight I am bringing giro del capo back and you okes all get free entry!

Don’t worry, won’t be UCI or CSA event

did you get the 230 big ones?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I win the power all tonight I am bringing giro del capo back and you okes all get free entry!

Those were the days hey!!  Good tough tour 

Just checked the website, Stage 3 was still listed as 116km two days ago but now it looks like they've replaced it with the 26km TT route the pro's were doing on Stage 1?

Never mind that loss of some iconic climbs, further reducing the total Tour from 482km to 408.5km seems ludicrous!

As I see you didn't win cycling is still thus missing out! Damm

I know a few riders that want to pull out due to the watered down event, they get told its a UCI event and then silent on refund.

Curious on how some events keep on harping about their UCI status as if more than the top 1% of entrants care. (If I'm missing something please correct me).

I'm actually kind of ok with the dumbed down route because I'm not paying for myself (corporate team) and I still have to go back to work after mornings racing. But if I entered solo or was flying down from up North for this I would be furious!

Sad to think that last year I thought they finally got most things right and now they take 5 steps back again. Wonder if it has to do with the change in ASG ownership? Did the new organisers forgot to get permission from the traffic authorities? Apparently that is something that can easily happen, heard that last years DC came close to being cancelled because someone forgot to inform the traffic dept...

Curious on how some events keep on harping about their UCI status as if more than the top 1% of entrants care. (If I'm missing something please correct me).

I'm actually kind of ok with the dumbed down route because I'm not paying for myself (corporate team) and I still have to go back to work after mornings racing. But if I entered solo or was flying down from up North for this I would be furious!

Sad to think that last year I thought they finally got most things right and now they take 5 steps back again. Wonder if it has to do with the change in ASG ownership? Did the new organisers forgot to get permission from the traffic authorities? Apparently that is something that can easily happen, heard that last years DC came close to being cancelled because someone forgot to inform the traffic dept...

The DC was not in threat last year, they are rather on top of that sort of thing, with the pre ride 2 months before with traffic etc.

The DC was not in threat last year, they are rather on top of that sort of thing, with the pre ride 2 months before with traffic etc.

You would think... I have a reliable source on the inside.... They had to get the politicians involved to pull some strings to save the event

I am going down from GP and obviously not happy with how the route is "unveiled" so short before the Tour. I did not ask them about pulling out, as all accommodation etc. are booked already, and will lose accommodation deposit, will have to change travel arrangements, etc., so I am still going.

By announcing the route only after entries had closed, we were not given an opportunity to decide based on the route whether we would like to do the tour or not. When early bird entries opened, there was no reason to think that the route would be any different to the last three tours. If this route was announced before I booked everything, I would have considered not doing it and would probably have gone for the Panorama Tour instead - a tour where the route is published and finalised months in advance.

Anyway, I am sure it will still be a fun week, but I will not enter "early bird" for next year's tour... lesson learnt from this year - if there is no route by January (when we need to book flights, accommodation, etc), I am not going to enter.

Anyway, I am sure it will still be a fun week, but I will not enter "early bird" for next year's tour... lesson learnt from this year - if there is no route by January (when we need to book flights, accommodation, etc), I am not going to enter.

Very disappointing that they dropped the ball so badly on the route. Can't be easy to get permission to race the passes but they have managed it few years in a row now so I'm curious to know what changed.

Think the new routes will still be ok to people who haven't ridden here before, but for people who did it previously or are used to the PPA funrides it will be meh..

Like how the organisers casually sneak in major route changes in the bottom of the article while only highlighting the TT - they clearly think their customers are idiots

https://inthebunch.co.za/2019/02/time-trial-change-brings-fresh-element-to-tour-of-good-hope/

He outlined a number of changes they had been forced to make.

“The N1 tunnel on Du Toitskloof Pass is undergoing a period of maintenance, with work being done to tunnel number two.

“We have consulted with the traffic authorities, as well as Sanral, and subsequently ruled out the mountain stage over Du Toitskloof.

The explanation he does give doesn't make sense at all as we don't use the N1 tunnel on the Du Toits Kloof pass and what about Franschoek which is also out?

Edited by Skubarra

The explanation he does give doesn't make sense at all as we don't use the N1 tunnel on the Du Toits Kloof pass ...

Could it be additional traffic on the old pass because of the tunnel closure.?

I agree. Those two big stages were the highlights of the tour.

As for Franschoek, on the website they say that now that the venue is the Landbou Skool for all the stages, Franschoek Pass is too far away.

This is exactly what really irritates me - how they just sneak the changes as if we won't notice... like replacing the jacket with sunglasses last year without saying anything.