What causes heart attacks among cyclists

My old man has his provincial colours for mtb in his age group. He is no slouch at 65. He has also done 14 Comrades marathons amongst others in his lifetime.

Last year he blacked out on the bike decending into the valley at the Sani2C. They had to airlift him as he had no recollection of what happened and some bad facial injuries.

Looking at his heart rate monitor and other riders' feedback as to what happened, he went to a cardiologist. He had to get a cardiac ablation as his heart rate was all over the place when stressed (max effort).

Cardiac issues happens very easily and quick. And it is not only because some weekend warriors are ignorant of their health.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking through old runs I came across this scare. No change in pace or elevation.42a1ddbb3d97dc13403150d51bb918eb.jpg

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Looking through old runs I came across this scare. No change in pace or elevation.42a1ddbb3d97dc13403150d51bb918eb.jpg

Heart straps are not that reliable, sometimes they produce nonsense data. Especially near the beginning of a session. Would not look to far into it.

Heart straps are not that reliable, sometimes they produce nonsense data. Especially near the beginning of a session. Would not look to far into it.

or she was really, really gorgeous, or the car she was driving in came really really close. ^_^

I went for a ride some months ago and had my fenix on my handle bar and strap on my chest. Left home and my first bit of ride is a long steep downhill which I needless to say always gun it down.. At the bottom my fenix almost (if it could out loud it would have) told me I was busy dying... heart rate was 220+...  stopped to try and find out what was up. turns out the wrist sensor and strap got mixed up and it was probably picking up handle bar vibration along with the strap count. Hasnt happened again though.. so yes. Almost shat myself but soon enough realised I was just fine :D

I had flu like symptoms on Sat but they were mostly gone by Sun morning so I cycled the CTCT very slowly.

I had no power on the ride and had a little vom on the M3 but I managed to finish in just under 7 hours.

I see some mentions of getting an ECG done - as far as I understand that is only looking back (and current).  It does not indicate / predict that you won't get a cardiac event in the next 0-x days, especially when the cardiovascular system seems to be in good order?

I see some mentions of getting an ECG done - as far as I understand that is only looking back (and current).  It does not indicate / predict that you won't get a cardiac event in the next 0-x days, especially when the cardiovascular system seems to be in good order?

True but you need to start somewhere and then use a good reliable HR monitor and get all the other stuff checked regularly - especially if you know about any cholesterol or sugar or pressure etc issues...

Keep healthy and maintain it...

slacking over 5 weeks in December and festivities and overindulgence really gave me a knock and I am still trying to recover. A similar effort pre and post the holidays meant the difference of 160bpm ave and 175bpm ave and 10min loss over 1 hr covering the same distance and also a 6kg weight gain. :eek:

I've been experiencing a lot of coughing in the beginning of my rides in the mornings.

It usually lasts anything between 20min to an hour, then just stops.

I've tried taking cough medicine, but nothing seems to help.

There's no phlegm or anything, but just a dry throat scratching urge I get to cough.

I'm not sure really what to do about it and if any of you guys have experienced anything like that?

My only thought on the matter is that I breathe through my mouth mainly when I'm exercising and that the unfiltered air going into my lungs could be the cause.

My only thought on the matter is that I breathe through my mouth mainly when I'm exercising and that the unfiltered air going into my lungs could be the cause.

Perhaps - google the symptoms on "Excercise Induced Asthma"

Perhaps - google the symptoms on "Excercise Induced Asthma"

I have also considered that it could be the case.

Does exercise induced asthma also cause coughing spells on other days where I am not doing exercise?

I find that I get a coughing spell on most mornings lately, mainly after I have showered.

I have also considered that it could be the case.

Does exercise induced asthma also cause coughing spells on other days where I am not doing exercise?

I find that I get a coughing spell on most mornings lately, mainly after I have showered.

Not normally - unless you also have allergic asthma - the question is more if you don't have some other condition that causes repeated coughing fits - and there are many - anything from lung cancer to a throat infection - best to go and visit your gp and take it from there.

I've been experiencing a lot of coughing in the beginning of my rides in the mornings.

It usually lasts anything between 20min to an hour, then just stops.

I've tried taking cough medicine, but nothing seems to help.

There's no phlegm or anything, but just a dry throat scratching urge I get to cough.

I'm not sure really what to do about it and if any of you guys have experienced anything like that?

A non-medical opinion: Could the morning cough be a result of deep breathing of cooler morning air, just after you've left the warm air in your house? Especially if breathing through the mouth?

That would be me - cause of death post anti inflammatory use is generally kidney failure not heart attack.

Inadequate preparation combined with genetics is in my opinion the primary cause of heart attacks in mass participation events.

V12man, I often see riders in races take tablets/pills from team cars - sometimes after a fall, or for some other pain.

What is that they take?

But then I remembered it was the exact spot a Jack Russel tried to hitch a ride by hooking his tooth unto my shoe laces. Was running with earphones so the little stoepkakkertjie caught me off guard.

Archived