Cyclist murdered in Fish Hoek 13/3/18 :-(

Headshot

Absolutely tragic.

I don't stay in the Cape but would it not be worthwhile to enclose/fence off popular spots and in order to enter, you need a magnetic card or tag which you purchase for a nominal fee (must produce proof of residence and ID)? Maybe also put up thermal imaging cameras on inaccessible high poles like they use with hunting game, just to monitor the human movement around these spots - especially at night time. If you understand the movements and activity, you can plot a map out to ascertain who is coming from where.....

I know these things cost money but I am sure if there is buy in from the hiking, mountaineering, mountainbiking community this can be done.

That technology actually exists and even more...

They can use facial and body movement recognition software and identify a suspect person (I guess on previous ID on criminal activity) in your neighborhood and it will send an instant notification to your phone that said person is currently in your area, which essentially gives you a heads-up and you can activate alarms or close all doors, etc.

A friend of mine told me they've been using it for a while in China with great success.

Edited by Chingy182

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard it happened in Brigantine st and could vaguely remember seeing that name when I take a short cut through Sunvalley/Fishhoek.Looked it up on the map only to find the Sunvalley Primary is in the same street and also borders on the wetlands.

Be careful out there

I see you are in Germany or it says you are. Are you? Just wondering if you live in SA.

You want an effective police force and justice system- so that is your solution- but we in SA do not have this- so your solution is thus merely a pipe dream. Hence you have no practical solution. Great....

The death penalty would definitely change a lot- it will remove from society for good hardened criminals before they do more damage murdering innocent civilians who do such things as pay tax and ride bicycles.

Well I lived in SA up until three years ago and am very well aware of the effectiveness of the SAPS service.  I am very well aware of how these crooks manipulate the justice systems. 

If you could please tell me how the death sentence is going to prevent what is happening now if the perps is not going to get caught in the first place.  For someone to be sentenced to death by a court (i assume that is what you mean with the death sentence and not just mob justice death sentence), he actually needs to be caught by police of some sort.  Then he needs to be tried in a court which normally would require some sort of forensic evidence (police work in case you missed it) and propper state prosecutors and then get sentenced.  That is where the problem is and until then it does not matter where I live, in SA this is going to continue.

The death penalty would definitely change a lot

How will it change anything at all?

These guys go out and commit crimes knowing that they could get caught and shot by Police or Security guards.If that's not a deterrent how will the death penalty be any different?

Yes I'm also out of Sa but pay taxes on the properties i rent out and my investments so have just as much say as someone living there.

Absolutely tragic.

I don't stay in the Cape but would it not be worthwhile to enclose/fence off popular spots and in order to enter, you need a magnetic card or tag which you purchase for a nominal fee (must produce proof of residence and ID)? Maybe also put up thermal imaging cameras on inaccessible high poles like they use with hunting game, just to monitor the human movement around these spots - especially at night time. If you understand the movements and activity, you can plot a map out to ascertain who is coming from where.....

I know these things cost money but I am sure if there is buy in from the hiking, mountaineering, mountainbiking community this can be done.

Funny thing is, this is exactly what we have planned... 

Personally I give up every weekend, every public holiday and quite a few week days doing my bit to deal with this.

And you?

I suspect his comment was more community based/involvement. We've spoken about this before, part of the upliftment project we'd like to get to.. 

Well I lived in SA up until three years ago and am very well aware of the effectiveness of the SAPS service. I am very well aware of how these crooks manipulate the justice systems.

If you could please tell me how the death sentence is going to prevent what is happening now if the perps is not going to get caught in the first place. For someone to be sentenced to death by a court (i assume that is what you mean with the death sentence and not just mob justice death sentence), he actually needs to be caught by police of some sort. Then he needs to be tried in a court which normally would require some sort of forensic evidence (police work in case you missed it) and propper state prosecutors and then get sentenced. That is where the problem is and until then it does not matter where I live, in SA this is going to continue.

https://www.saps.gov.za/newsroom/msspeechdetail.php?nid=14963

That technology actually exists and even more...

They can use facial and body movement recognition software and identify a suspect person (I guess on previous ID on criminal activity) in your neighborhood and it will send an instant notification to your phone that said person is currently in your area, which essentially gives you a heads-up and you can activate alarms or close all doors, etc.

A friend of mine told me they've been using it for a while in China with great success.

Thermal PTZ with night motion detection up to 1.5kms. Daytime to 3.9.. Unless the perp is behind a rock, there'll be no hiding place! We're getting prices.. 

I'll just completely disagree with this.

fine, we can agree to disagree then..........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIP.

These last few days have been depressing hearing about fellow cyclists and a marshall that have lost their lives.

So sad.

Just now, on Twitter...

@SAPoliceService 27m27 minutes ago

#sapsWC Two suspects were arrested for the possession of a bicycle and cellphone of a cyclist (68) that was murdered yesterday morning while he was cycling on an off-road trail in Fish Hoek. The victim was stabbed multiple times. SW

Good. Edited by gogo@