Cyclist murdered in Fish Hoek 13/3/18 :-(

Headshot

The real answer, which many will not want to hear, is that there is very little you can do that will have any meaningful effect. How do you instill morals into someone who was raised in an environment where rape/pillage/murder is an everyday occurence? Who was educated in a broken system? You can't. But there's a whole generation of those 'someone's' roaming around SA at the moment.

Agreed

This is why a fitting deterrent like the death penalty is required. It’s something they can relate to and understand.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed

This is why a fitting deterrent like the death penalty is required. It’s something they can relate to and understand.

The problem is even if they implement the death penalty today I don't think it would deter them.  They are hardy caught by police in the first place and if that happens getting a guilty verdict is even more of a problem as the police tend to screw up the investigations big time along the way.

The problem is even if they implement the death penalty today I don't think it would deter them.  They are hardy caught by police in the first place and if that happens getting a guilty verdict is even more of a problem as the police tend to screw up the investigations big time along the way.

Very sad that someone had to be stabbed to death over a bicycle, made even worse by it being someone who was an older citizen and probably put up no resistance to the robbery...What an awesome country....and before we hear it, yes there is crime everywhere but the odds on being murdered for something minor here like a mango are huge....

In my opinion the police have a lack of skills and a serious lack of motivation. We have had a lot of crime in my area lately (over and above the usual petty theft) and a few weeks back there was a serious farm attack (police called it a robbery but when you are hit in the head with a panga a couple of times I kind of think its more of an attack...). Even the cop who lives across the road from me was robbed while the family was sleeping!

The police went to great lengths last week to show themselves off removing a few scraggly ass weed plants growing at the back of someones shack.....but phone them when there is a problem and there is either no car available or (and this has happened) no petrol for the vehicle or you get someone who can barely read and write....

Edited by Mojoman

seems like we need to start riding armed. 

As much as these bastards deserve a bullet, it in not practical and most of the time you are confronted unexpectedly, the result is they will kill you with your own gun and others.............

the problem is our Govt & police & justice system.

The death penalty will be a definite deterrent- please bring it back- this not the problem. A violent hardened criminal will only be scared of dying- nothing else will deter him- our useless police force certainly won't. you have any better ideas besides bringing back the death penalty then?

The problem is even if they implement the death penalty today I don't think it would deter them.  They are hardly caught by police in the first place and if that happens getting a guilty verdict is even more of a problem as the police tend to screw up the investigations big time along the way.

the problem is our Govt & police & justice system.

The death penalty will be a definite deterrent- please bring it back- this not the problem. A violent hardened criminal will only be scared of dying- nothing else will deter him- our useless police force certainly won't. you have any better ideas besides bringing back the death penalty then?

Well I actually already statet the way I see it. Having an effective police force and justice system that would lock you up for long terms in cases like these would already have an impact.  Before that is fixed we can hop on the death penalty wagon as much as we like it would still not change anything.

Report received of ANOTHER bikejacking this morning,

Chap got relieved of his Giant Xtc hardtail opposite Bishops, at the underpass.

The problem is even if they implement the death penalty today I don't think it would deter them. They are hardy caught by police in the first place and if that happens getting a guilty verdict is even more of a problem as the police tend to screw up the investigations big time along the way.

Yep... sadly the problem is a lot of issues which are beyond joe citizens control. This is why people get Fed Up and FO

The fart and thunderstorm comparison comes mind....

Absolutely tragic.

I don't stay in the Cape but would it not be worthwhile to enclose/fence off popular spots and in order to enter, you need a magnetic card or tag which you purchase for a nominal fee (must produce proof of residence and ID)? Maybe also put up thermal imaging cameras on inaccessible high poles like they use with hunting game, just to monitor the human movement around these spots - especially at night time. If you understand the movements and activity, you can plot a map out to ascertain who is coming from where.....

I know these things cost money but I am sure if there is buy in from the hiking, mountaineering, mountainbiking community this can be done.

As much as these bastards deserve a bullet, it in not practical and most of the time you are confronted unexpectedly, the result is they will kill you with your own gun and others.............

I'll just completely disagree with this.

Absolutely tragic.

I don't stay in the Cape but would it not be worthwhile to enclose/fence off popular spots and in order to enter, you need a magnetic card or tag which you purchase for a nominal fee (must produce proof of residence and ID)? Maybe also put up thermal imaging cameras on inaccessible high poles like they use with hunting game, just to monitor the human movement around these spots - especially at night time. If you understand the movements and activity, you can plot a map out to ascertain who is coming from where.....

I know these things cost money but I am sure if there is buy in from the hiking, mountaineering, mountainbiking community this can be done.

You are talking about the Table Mountain National Park here not Melville Koppies

Unfortunately for most of the perpetrators prison is better than their current circumstances.

If they do get caught and sent to prison they consider it a bonus, weatherproof home and free food.

You are talking about the Table Mountain National Park here not Melville Koppies

I understand that but without access control, you cant control access to areas.

Right now it is pick a spot and wait...

I see you are in Germany or it says you are. Are you? Just wondering if you live in SA.

You want an effective police force and justice system- so that is your solution- but we in SA do not have this- so your solution is thus merely a pipe dream. Hence you have no practical solution. Great....

The death penalty would definitely change a lot- it will remove from society for good hardened criminals before they do more damage murdering innocent civilians who do such things as pay tax and ride bicycles.

Well I actually already statet the way I see it. Having an effective police force and justice system that would lock you up for long terms in cases like these would already have an impact.  Before that is fixed we can hop on the death penalty wagon as much as we like it would still not change anything.