Cyclist murdered in Fish Hoek 13/3/18 :-(

Headshot

More are more murders/attacks and rapes etc are not as a consequence of a robbery anymore, but rather the initial intent with the theft of a few items rather being the consequence of intentional violence.

Couldn't agree more.

Unfortunately I feel conflicted by "liking" your comment

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've come to Cape Town in March for the last 8 years specifically to do the Argus/CTCT and visit family.  I get around town and southern suburbs by bike and sometimes (until some years ago) train.  What I've seen is a massive increase in low-life and down-and-outs hanging around, particularly the last 5 years. There's more and more very visible poverty, squatter camps everywhere, growing.

This is besides the gang issues.

Policing and service delivery will never keep up.  Social grants hardly pay for food.  What chances of employing, housing, educating everyone?  It seems the country's problems are coming to Cape Town, and that suits the ANC hands-down. To stop this means sorting out the bigger picture and to do that... well, one thing that isn't going to work is people using energy and resources, that are desperately needed to solve problems, to fight each other.  Which is the only thing that politics seems to thrive on.  That definitely has to stop.

Eish.  I am truly sorry.  I don't see anything changing until people being attacked are able to fight back on an equal footing.  And even then, that is war, not crime protection or problem solving.  But that is how I feel.  Attackers should be taken out on the spot. Without proper policing, at the one end, and solving population influx, unemployment etc, at the other, the only thing that is left is going to be vigilantism.  Which is also not a solution.

Agree, there's definitely been an upswing in the dodge element in the Cape... had a run in with a North African gent on long street on Friday - walking there to grab a birthday beer with a friend, we passed a group of guys, the one bumped me to distract me and the other quickly ripped my Fenix 3 off my wrist. I barely felt it, but luckily noticed it was gone straight away and grabbed him... took a few minutes, but got my watch back.

In hindsight I'm lucky I didn't get stabbed, but also grateful to the many gatvol people of all backgrounds who came to help... 

Unfortunately these things will only get worse as long as the gap between the have's and have not's continues to grow  :blush:

Unfortunately these things will only get worse as long as the gap between the have's and have not's continues to grow  :blush:

...and that gap is growing exponentially despite what is (or is not) being done in order to remedy the issue, most often not because of people's inability to work for something, but because of their unwillingness to do so. The average person living in poverty in SA wants a handout, not a job. I feel that a lot of the anger we observe every day is not the result of not having access to things, but rather not having access to free things. So the result is that if people don't give their valuables away, they are relieved of it by force, often at the cost of their safety, sometimes at the cost of their lives.

...and that gap is growing exponentially despite what is (or is not) being done in order to remedy the issue, most often not because of people's inability to work for something, but because of their unwillingness to do so. The average person living in poverty in SA wants a handout, not a job. I feel that a lot of the anger we observe every day is not the result of not having access to things, but rather not having access to free things. So the result is that if people don't give their valuables away, they are relieved of it by force, often at the cost of their safety, sometimes at the cost of their lives.

And as proof of this, the University of Eastern Cape is 800 million in debt because students have stopped paying their fees since Zuma announced free education to students with combined household income < 350k per annum. And now they started burning infrastructure again because they want "better" residences.

WHO THE FUK has to pay for all that???

NOT ME!!!

Another example of entitlement in practice. This country, where people think we "owe" them... :cursing: 

I said it before, and I will repeat it again. This is why live ammunition.

Maybe these "Have nots" should decide to NOT have kids and maybe they will find themselves a tiny bit better off too

Maybe these "Have nots" should decide to NOT have kids and maybe they will find themselves a tiny bit better off too

That will NEVER happen. Kids lead to government grants. again, why work? Just breed.

Here's another thing regarding the insane (and growing) inequalities. And social grants that cannot plug the gap never mind solve the underlying issue.

Looking at the railway lines leading into Cape Town this year was a real shocker.  I know about Metrorail's issues, like the central line that was down for weeks. But still.  Neglect now seems total.  It looks like a once functional system is falling to pieces.  That's a view from the outside because I didn't bother to try using the trains. About 5 years ago they were already bursting at the seems, even on a Sunday morning.  Then the roads are crazy with traffic and the rail is under-utilized??

Same on the national roads. They carry ridiculous numbers of trucks and freight. Why are those not on the rail?  We nearly got wiped out because of slow trucks, some with NO tail lights, at night, coming home yesterday.  More than once.  And that happens almost every time one travels these days.

Leave the question of why the rail infrastructure has been allowed to disintegrate: here's a challenge to the country/ANC.  Do what Milner and then the Nats did, and do it better: bring back rail and public transport.  Use it to create jobs for people.  How difficult is that?

Make the roads safer at the same time. Surely it's better than social grants -- money for nothing, literally.

It's not my intention to change focus from this horrible murder, and the concern with safety.  But we must start looking at how the pieces fit together.  There must be something that can be done, beyond shooting/knifing/pepper spraying someone who attacks us (if we can).

If someone in government with real balls would just wake up, focus on jobs, developing infrastructure and building the country up.  Please!

Edited by gogo@

A most tragic incident again. Terrible for all family, friends and community concerned.

My sincere condolences to them all.

What is not ok, dear gentlemen, is the sweeping statements as keyboard warriors without a full set of facts and information and most importantly, solutions. The only result of the hysteria is more misinformation and people jumping on the bandwagon and creating more hysteria, fear, retaliation and probably ending somewhere close if not right on the mark of blatant racism.

Please rather examine how you can be a part of the solution. Please don't quote stats from other countries or the world if you don't actually know them or have ever lived in another country.

Fact is, this happens in every country of the world - in some form or another. And yes, I have lived abroad - 11 years in different countries.

Do we have problems in this country? Yes, absolutely. And it requires our hard and concerted efforts to be part of the solutions. We have a whole society to transform after Apartheid. It is a massive task. What are you doing, other than complain?

Again, not trying to detract from this horrible incident, but let's try debating intelligently.

The blame game has never solved a thing. Nor has the death penalty.

The guy who was murdered was a customer of mine.  A really nice person with a gentle nature.  He would never have put up any fight.  What has happened was brutal and unnecessary.
Real low point right now - this is very close to home. 

The guy who was murdered was a customer of mine.  A really nice person with a gentle nature.  He would never have put up any fight.  What has happened was brutal and unnecessary.

Sorry man.

I deal with many people after traumatic attacks and their families too, many still in shock, its not a nice thing to see how their lives have been affected.

I do take heart that the survivors are more aware at least.

A most tragic incident again. Terrible for all family, friends and community concerned.

What is not ok, dear gentlemen, is the sweeping statements as keyboard warriors without a full set of facts and information and most importantly, solutions. The only result of the hysteria is more misinformation and people jumping on the bandwagon and creating more hysteria, fear, retaliation and probably ending somewhere close if not right on the mark of blatant racism.

Please rather examine how you can be a part of the solution. Please don't quote stats from other countries or the world if you don't actually know them or have ever lived in another country.

Fact is, this happens in every country of the world - in some form or another. And yes, I have lived abroad - 11 years in different countries.

Do we have problems in this country? Yes, absolutely. And it requires our hard and concerted efforts to be part of the solutions. We have a whole society to transform after Apartheid. It is a massive task. What are you doing, other than complain?

Again, not trying to detract from this horrible incident, but let's try debating intelligently.

Here's the facts - 

1. Guy rides bike

2. Guy is stabbed to death for his bike

Have I missed anything salient?

You can type out as many words as you want about problems/causes but it doesn't change or excuse the fact that a guy was killed. For a F*cking Bike!

Terrible...my ex is going to be hit badly when she hears.I believe she knew him from the spinning class at the gym and when she had Circle Cycles

There is nothing one can say

The death penalty will make sure that the scumbag who perpetrated this does not get out after a couple of months only to repeat the same crime !!

Edited by nickc