Cyclist murdered in Fish Hoek 13/3/18 :-(

Headshot

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, Amputation for those

seriously? Look at countries that have laws like that and ask yourself if you would like to live in those places. They all seem to have one thing in common. And no I'm not talking about their religion (although there is that as well)

seriously? Look at countries that have laws like that and ask yourself if you would like to live in those places. They all seem to have one thing in common. And no I'm not talking about their religion (although there is that as well)

On the bright side there would be a booming prosthetics industry which would create a few jobs and you'd be able to spot a criminal much easier

So if they appear in court today it will only be to get a date for application for parole and they will not have to plead?Only once they plead will there pics be in the papers etc

may his soul rest in eternal peace.

sjoe, the amount of anger on this forum is really scary and i think is not healthy

Don't be scared, anger is an inevitable result of senseless cold blooded murder.

What isn't healthy is the fact that there are a large number of incidents that are perpetrated by idiots with absolutely no regard for human life.

may his soul rest in eternal peace.

sjoe, the amount of anger on this forum is really scary and i think is not healthy

I'd be more worried if there was no anger... The day we stop being angry at an elderly man being brutally murdered for his bicycle, or a promising young athlete having some attempt to chainsaw his legs off or a child being raped and bludgeoned to death etc etc is the day we stop being human... #justsaying

Things have gotten exponentially worse every year in the last 3 years. Others opinions might differ, but I've certainly had to cut new areas out of my transport/cycling routes due to escalated violent crime.

Fishhoek was my home away from home.  Although I lived in Pretoria I was in the Cape Peninsula for work at least every two months and always stayed in Fishhoek.  99% of time I took my bike with and cycled either early morning before work or after work (or both :) ).  There was already in the last two year before I left SA a radical increase in incidents in the Fishhoek area especially early mornings and yes it did get worse after we left.  Have family and good friends in both Cape Town and Pretoria and am very well informed of what the situation is.

So if they appear in court today it will only be to get a date for application for parole and they will not have to plead?Only once they plead will there pics be in the papers etc

The suspects are expected to appear in the Simon's Town magistrates court on Friday.

Police say they were found in the possession of the victim's bicycle and cellphone.

The police's Lieutenant-Colonel Andrè Traut says that an investigation is underway.

"Our investigations into the murder of a 68-year-old cyclist yesterday morning in Fish Hoek resulted in the arrest of two suspects yesterday, one for being in possession of the victim's bicycle and the other one for being in possession of the victim's cellular telephone."

Traut says the cyclist was stabbed multiple times.

"We are yet to charge a suspect for murder and the circumstances surrounding the matter are still under investigation."

Both suspects are in their twenties.

L-C Traut is a hubber, maybe he will slip some inside info here

Fish Hoek Community Police Forum

1 hr · 

Murder suspect arrested

We are pleased to inform you that the suspect wanted in the murder / robbery that took place on Tuesday, 13 March has been arrested in Phillipi.

Excellent work has been conducted by our station and the cluster team. Well done!

The process is not over and we ask that privacy and respect still be shown to the family and that the SAPS be allowed to continue working the case to the high calibre that they have been.

That's great news!

But now to see his arrest be escalated to an actual conviction with the appropriate jail time.

Yes let's see jail time.. cause we unfortunately cannot look forward to his public hanging. 

Piece of sh*t should be shot Philippines style in a busy road.

I am heartened by the latest developments and my opinion of SAPS has been raised a few notches off rock bottom. 

The thing is that a swift arrest and conviction will help, but only a little. As long as we have thousands of people swarming into Cape Town believing they will get a job in a few days but without a place to live or means to support themselves when they don't, this problem will continue. Did this murderer come to CT to get a job or kill people for a living? 

The ANC government and more than 10 years of disastrous management of the countries economy, destruction of law enforcement and the education system, irresponsible political rhetoric, not to mention the theft of billions is one of the the root causes of the rise in violent crime. 

Zuma's legal fees could have paid for how many hours of SAPS helo maintenance? The billions stolen by the Guptas could have bought how many actual helicopters or assisted law enforcement in other ways, or built houses ... the list goes on. 

Despite this success, we remain our own best defenders. Ride in groups, be vigilant and assist law enforcement and community initiatives  like the recently formed TM Safety action group. 

There is a meeting on 20/3/18 at 18h30  sharp at the Fish Hoek High School called I believe by concerned citizens in the area. Zille, Smith and Plato among others will allegedly be there. 

Cool heads, not emotive ranting have been requested from all attendees. 

The suspects are expected to appear in the Simon's Town magistrates court on Friday.

Police say they were found in the possession of the victim's bicycle and cellphone.

The police's Lieutenant-Colonel Andrè Traut says that an investigation is underway.

"Our investigations into the murder of a 68-year-old cyclist yesterday morning in Fish Hoek resulted in the arrest of two suspects yesterday, one for being in possession of the victim's bicycle and the other one for being in possession of the victim's cellular telephone."

Traut says the cyclist was stabbed multiple times.

"We are yet to charge a suspect for murder and the circumstances surrounding the matter are still under investigation."

Both suspects are in their twenties.

L-C Traut is a hubber, maybe he will slip some inside info here

Well done to the SAPS and all involved. This is stellar work by a Force who is, according to quite a few here, uninvolved, unmotivated, incapable and uninterested in "protecting us".

This incident makes me infinitely mad but even more so, it puzzles me to high heaven. Let alone an intention of stealing a bike, I try to imagine how an individual's moral compass can be so damaged that the act of violently hurting someone to a point where the victim lose his/her live is no skin off your back.

I’m a firm believer in the fact that no-one is born bad. People are made that way - more often than not by abuse of some sorts. And, my dear Hubbers, like it or not, we live in a country that has seen the immeasurable abuse and the perpetuation of abuse towards human beings over many centuries: picking the fruit has sadly become the norm rather than the exception. Add to that a dysfunctional social system and a totally skewed distribution of wealth and even basic services, and people will get irrational and you get the emergence of learned anti-social behaviour – like it or not.

All I’m saying is that my heart again broke a little when I departed the Mother City on Tuesday morning, flying over the Cape Flats after a weekend that cost me way more than the monthly salary of many of the people on those very Flats. Context is everything, and something in me would really like to know the context of these suspects.

However, being all philosophical will not bring back this gentleman, in all probability a husband, father and grandfather and one’s heart bleeds for the fact that ultimately he is the victim of a much larger sickness in our society.

RIP sir and prayers to the family.

Edited by Karooryder

..Except for the "land invader" Orcas which prowl around......... :)

And those great whites that are sometimes mistaken for the submarines out of Simons Town Naval base.