Tubeless on the road

Popit

5 minutes ago, Jbr said:

PIRELLI P ZERO VELO 25C CLASSIC 127 TPI TYRE

was in jan 2021 though, at the time the only tan walls available.. the things you do just for looks (had a black bike at the time)

I see from your favourite tyre rolling resistance website that the F1s and the Cinturatos have a very similar rolling resistance.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

I see from your favourite tyre rolling resistance website that the F1s and the Cinturatos have a very similar rolling resistance.

did not have to time to get a feel for the RR when I was standing on the road side most of the time

2 minutes ago, Jakkals. said:

Im not sold...seen to many times not sealing properly

sadly, I agree with you 

After getting very frustrated with punctures (literally half the races I have ever been in), took the plunge and got GP5000 TL with Orangeseal. Man it felt great, so comfortable, fast and grippy. 

Hit a small bump after 70 odd km at lowish speeds, sidewall hole so small you can't see it, basically just pumped out sealant without sealing. Stuck on the side of the road pumping for ages but no luck. Should have brought a plug.  Now back home after an emergency call to the wife, and will probably try and do a tubeless patch on the inside (if I can get the tyres off that is).

I'm getting so frustrated with road punctures I think I might just go back to MTB for a while.

Pirelli P zero race TLR arrived. Waiting for the 85mm tubeless valves and tape to arrive from CRC next week. Will report back how the conversion went on my 60mm hoops…

44 minutes ago, W@nted said:

Pirelli P zero race TLR arrived. Waiting for the 85mm tubeless valves and tape to arrive from CRC next week. Will report back how the conversion went on my 60mm hoops…

Just don't go throwing those tyres into a corner. they need km's on the road to get the grip up. Mine are only coming alive now, about 3000km later....

4 hours ago, dexterdent said:

After getting very frustrated with punctures (literally half the races I have ever been in), took the plunge and got GP5000 TL with Orangeseal. Man it felt great, so comfortable, fast and grippy. 

Hit a small bump after 70 odd km at lowish speeds, sidewall hole so small you can't see it, basically just pumped out sealant without sealing. Stuck on the side of the road pumping for ages but no luck. Should have brought a plug.  Now back home after an emergency call to the wife, and will probably try and do a tubeless patch on the inside (if I can get the tyres off that is).

I'm getting so frustrated with road punctures I think I might just go back to MTB for a while.

Tubeless is good for Thorns. Seals good and Permanent.

A bit of revelation for me was how good (comfy) my bike feels after a 100+ km ride. I run a 30mm (6bar) at the back and a 28mm up front (5bar). Hutchinson tyre.

Binned the GP5000 after is started to crack/perish a year into its life span. Was too risky.

6 hours ago, dexterdent said:

unlucks, I hit many cat eyes full speed and so glad the 5000s held on. 

What I take on rides is usually two levers and those Slime Pre-Glued 1" Tube Patches - Pack of 6 | CyclelabI find plugs pretty useless on road tubeless as most inserts are massive even if you find small size plugs. I only used one of these patches once, after a puncture didn't seal because of my own fault (my tyre was completely dry inside), it held on for the remaining 70km and I only replaced it with a "proper" patch for peace of mind. I almost never take a spare tube with anymore as I don't remember tubeless failing me in over two years now (except for that one time which was my fault)

Edited by Jbr

2 minutes ago, Jbr said:

unlucks, I hit many cat eyes full speed and so glad the 5000s held on. 

What I take on rides is usually two levers and those Slime Pre-Glued 1" Tube Patches - Pack of 6 | CyclelabI find plugs pretty useless on road tubeless as most inserts are massive even if you find small size plugs. I only used one of these patches once, after a puncture didn't seal because of my own fault (my tyre was completely dry inside), I held on for the remaining 70km and I only replaced it with a "proper" patch for peace of mind. I almost never take a spare tube with anymore as I don't remember tubeless failing me in over two years now (except for that one time which was my fault)

Oh dear you dared to get brave with your punctureless luck…..

better pack the repair kit for tomorrow 

never taunt the puncture gods 

Just now, DieselnDust said:

Oh dear you dared to get brave with your punctureless luck…..

better pack the repair kit for tomorrow 

never taunt the puncture gods 

everytime I post this i'm like....why take the risk 🤣

Touching wood, tomorrow the wife might get the call...

So new rim tape is on, tubeless valves installed and pirellis installed. Tires seated with floor pump. No sealant in yet, but I see both wheels are losing pressure all around the tire bead (small bubbles all around).

Is this normal? Will sealant solve this? Or is there some other advice please?

19 minutes ago, W@nted said:

So new rim tape is on, tubeless valves installed and pirellis installed. Tires seated with floor pump. No sealant in yet, but I see both wheels are losing pressure all around the tire bead (small bubbles all around).

Is this normal? Will sealant solve this? Or is there some other advice please?

Why not try and find out ? 😜

9 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Why not try and find out ? 😜

😂 Busy as I am typing. Sealant in and spinning slowly at low pressure