Tubeless on the road

Popit

On 8/26/2022 at 6:46 PM, Furbz said:

Oom.

Wont you please punt the sizing (ml) on the Orange seal items, pretty please?

https://lanoysports.co.za/collections/orange-seal

Don't know how much smaller the "with injection system" is compared to just the refil.
Need to get some.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Oom.

Don't know how much smaller the "with injection system" is compared to just the refil.
Need to get some.

Thanks for this, I wanted to ask yesterday and then got distracted with this silly work thing that keeps getting in the way of my cycling thing. :) 

On 9/8/2022 at 2:43 AM, Spinnekop said:

Oom.

Need to get some.

On 9/8/2022 at 2:48 AM, ouzo said:

Thanks for this, I wanted to ask yesterday and then got distracted with this silly work thing that keeps getting in the way of my cycling thing. :) 

Thanks guys,

have updated the description to include the size

Km 78. Road maintenance crew. Weed eater. A million thorns unsighted. Passed by and tik-tik-tik-tik. Urgent stop. Adrenaline response. Removed a handful of them out of both tyres. Sealant did the job. Continued on, blissfully. Toobless for the win.

57 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Km 78. Road maintenance crew. Weed eater. A million thorns unsighted. Passed by and tik-tik-tik-tik. Urgent stop. Adrenaline response. Removed a handful of them out of both tyres. Sealant did the job. Continued on, blissfully. Toobless for the win.

what sealant are you using ?

I'm loosing faith in Enduro seal.

9 minutes ago, ouzo said:

what sealant are you using ?

I'm loosing faith in Enduro seal.

Nooooooo ! I ran out of stan's race sealant on a weekend and bought a massive bottle of Enduro Seal...

2 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Nooooooo ! I ran out of stan's race sealant on a weekend and bought a massive bottle of Enduro Seal...

I've just pulled out a nearly full bottle of Stans that I stashed in my cupboard here at work. I was going to give it away 2 years ago because it wasnt working for me. But I'm hoping it was the crappy tyres I was using back then.

Unfortunately dont have the money to order some Orange right now.

I've not tried Orange seal, but personally -

Stans is too thin for road pressures and tyre thicknesses. it just runs out and gets everything dirty. Something with particles/lumps is required to help plug the hole.

I have been using the approx. R100 bright green 'tube' sealant from sportsmans in my road and gravel bike and on the tandem to good effect. Ryder also have a cheap option like this. Seals quickly, doesn't clump up in the tyre. Have done a few '000 k's with this sealant.

NB - because this is more slimey and not quite as liquid as Stans it needs a good tyre-rim seal. I use a single layer of electrical tape on top of the hard tubeless tape to create a good seal.

8 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I feel it hasnt sealed the punctures I've noticed.

I assume this is for a road bike tubeless set up?

If yes then you have to stay on top of topping it up. Road bike tyres generate a lot more heat , especially rim brakes and this evaporates the water in the sealant. 

If your tyre pressures are over 70psi then any ssealant is going to struggle. I run my tyres at 75psi rear and 70psi front. Enduro seal plugs but peeps behind do get a face full of white milk before it plugs.

Oh i'm on Pirelli Race TLR 26C.

4 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I assume this is for a road bike tubeless set up?

If yes then you have to stay on top of topping it up. Road bike tyres generate a lot more heat , especially rim brakes and this evaporates the water in the sealant. 

If your tyre pressures are over 70psi then any ssealant is going to struggle. I run my tyres at 75psi rear and 70psi front. Enduro seal plugs but peeps behind do get a face full of white milk before it plugs.

Oh i'm on Pirelli Race TLR 26C.

Yes, road bike running Pirelli Cinturato. So punctures are not often at all. Tyre pressure is always 80psi or below. Disc brakes.

Top ups every 6 months (which may be to far apart) but the liquid in the tyres always still looks ok.

It could also be the sealant getting old in the bottle. or something like that.

1 minute ago, ouzo said:

Yes, road bike running Pirelli Cinturato. So punctures are not often at all. Tyre pressure is always 80psi or below. Disc brakes.

Top ups every 6 months (which may be to far apart) but the liquid in the tyres always still looks ok.

It could also be the sealant getting old in the bottle. or something like that.

Yeah 6 months is too long between top ups. Even in my Mtb tyres I too at least once every two months in winter and monthly in summer. I do ride a lot though.

the continuous churn and heat cycling gets the binder adhering to the tyre wall so the plugging material just gets blown out of the hole. The binder is important so top is required 

in my road tyres I top up monthly even in winter.