Tubeless on the road

Popit

4 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

A friend of mine showed me a video where he took his own road bike with Conti GP5000 tyres on with Panzer sealant in:  https://orimglobal.co.za/product-category/panzer/sealant/

and put 3 nails in the tyres (pulling the nail out again each time).  Tyres sitting at 5 bar.
With all 3 holes sealed, the tyre only went down to 4 bar.

Not bad in my books.  Will see how it practically works out on the road.

Just disappointed that the yellow sealant doesn't smell like banana milkshake...........😁

Did the tyre hold pressure when pumped back up to 5 Bar?

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I attempted to put tubeless tyres (conti GP5000) on my current rims, SRT 55 carbon rims, I battled so much, I eventually gave up and exchanged the tyres, any tips?

54 minutes ago, splat said:

Did the tyre hold pressure when pumped back up to 5 Bar?

Good question.
I'll have to find out.  

1 hour ago, Furbz said:

ask him to cut the tire with glass - thats the real road test.

nails tend to leave a rather small hole that most sealant with deal with no probs.

a 4mm straight glass cut is a different story

Well..........talking from experience.....

4mm glass cut in a tubeless tyre or tubed tyre, for me, is a throw away.  I won't take the risk either way.

8 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

I attempted to put tubeless tyres (conti GP5000) on my current rims, SRT 55 carbon rims, I battled so much, I eventually gave up and exchanged the tyres, any tips?

Very rim specific.  Even tyre specific also.
Conti on my Zipp 404 went on okay, pumped up with a normal pump.
The Goodyear F1's went on easier and I used my pump with a reservoir to get it to kick onto the rim.

But I have read people battle a LOT with getting Continental TR onto the rim.  Braking levers etc.

1 minute ago, Spinnekop said:

Very rim specific.  Even tyre specific also.
Conti on my Zipp 404 went on okay, pumped up with a normal pump.
The Goodyear F1's went on easier and I used my pump with a reservoir to get it to kick onto the rim.

But I have read people battle a LOT with getting Continental TR onto the rim.  Braking levers etc.

even tyre batch specific. First set of Pirellis on my giant rims went on and off easy, although I needed a compressor to seat them.

Current set breaks tyre levers.

18 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Put them in the sun for 10min.
Start mounting opposite to the valve.
Make sure every part already mounted is as centered as possible.
Use four hands.

1 hour ago, Dexter-morgan said:

One of these could be useful.

Or make it your LBS's problem. LOL 

20230529_151543.jpg

Thorns Leave a Plug in the tyre and the hole is very very tiny.

That's why thorn punctures get fixed easily by the sealant.

Glass punctures sometimes get fixed by the sealant but it's temporary.

My feeling is that if the sealant gets you home, then it's done its job.

13 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

My feeling is that if the sealant gets you home, then it's done its job.

That was my experience recently.

Seal would blow every couple of minutes but only lost 10-20 psi over 2.5 hrs.

Downtube was a mess and covered in sealant, but I got home without needing to stop.

4 hours ago, Spinnekop said:

Well..........talking from experience.....

4mm glass cut in a tubeless tyre or tubed tyre, for me, is a throw away.  I won't take the risk either way.

Jip.

Month before Argus I had a glass cut during a practice ride ... early on during the ride.

I saw the sealant spewing out ... by the time I stopped the hole was sealed, and pressure still okay.

10km later .... rinse repeat ....

15km later .... once again .....

At Philladelphia the tyre started leaking again, and I could see the spot, while at a coffee stop.  THIS is when I spotted the piece of glass in the tire.  Every so often it would shift and start leaking, and then seal again .....

I removed the glass and put a plug in.

The tyre was fine, and did not loose pressure during the next two weeks, well no more than normal.  But I just could not shake that uneasy feeling.  The thought of a DNF at the Argus due to a stupid glass cut left my uneasy.

Week before the Argus I fitted a new tyre.

A mushroom plug would have been a cheaper and decent solution.  But noting the speeds I do down Franschoek pass and similar areas I did not want a tyre with an unbalanced weight.

25 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

A mushroom plug would have been a cheaper and decent solution.  But noting the speeds I do down Franschoek pass and similar areas I did not want a tyre with an unbalanced weight.

I rode a mushroom plugged road wheel for the first time over the weekend.

Plunged down Constantia Nek without issue.

It is a virtually new tyre so I thought it well worth trying to extend its life.

My rear tyre has been running a tube for nearly a year now because of a cut in the tyre that wont seal. Maybe its in my head, but I feel like even though I pump it to the same pressure as without the tube, the ride feels harder, and I'm sure there is more rolling resistance.

Front tyre might be getting a tube soon to. A couple of weeks back I hit something on the road in the dark, it really jolted me on the  bike. Did not see anything wrong with the tyre after the ride, but with the bike hanging in the garage for a week whilst I was ill, when I looked at the tyre over the weekend there is a light cut on the sidewall and a small amount of sealant was visible.

I'll have to wait for my SARS rebate to buy 2 new tyres soon.

19 hours ago, Dexter-morgan said:

They are tough to fit. Even worse with Spez Turbo's (I had this struggle last week)

Heat the tires up with a hair dryer before trying to pop them over the rim. Makes life much easier.

Also, ensure the tire beads are in the middle of the rim profile to ensure that the circumference of the rim is as small as possible.