Rockshock RS 1

evolve

Hi  Looking to buy a Rockshock RS1, what the feed back on this fork and what can i expect to pay for a service and at what intervals.

Thanks

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Avoid unless you're deadset on the RS1

there's a reason they only came OEM for one year every one has gone back to traditional forks and when the new sid got launched it left the rs1 in its dust 

service intervlas are roughly the same and i would expect them to be slightly ( maybe even not ) more expensive cause the Rs1 needs one or more special tools to get the lowers off.

The front hub was also a bit of an issue in that you needed a specific one to work with the fork.

They didnt last very long as OEM so I would follow Bageara's advice.

Love my RS1. Have been riding one for about a year on my tallboy. Ran almost every fork you can think of on it before the RS1 (lefty, SID brain, Revelation, etc). Still love riding it. Service it about every 6 months or so. Cost is R350 at Spez. Fork is SO smooth. Fore/Aft stifness is awesome although torsional stiffness not as good as say a lefty but you must really smash it to notice it. On rocky terrain it really shines. Try and take one for a test ride, you will notice what i mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have a RS1 , awesome fork . Service costs are the same as my World Cup Sid but the Sid is not as smooth as the RS1 and the small bump sensitivity is unrivaled.

If it's in the budget go for it . You can loose the 300 grams weight gain off your self if you feel it might slow you down . I see a few pro teams are using it at Epic this week as well .

It's boost , so you don't need any special anything if you have a newish bike or boost wheel set .

I have a 2017 fox 32 that was built up specifically for me, however i cannot let my RS1 go! I agree with all the other comments on the forum like the hub being proprietary etc... But in my opinion, if you are able to get the fork dialed you will love it. Basically you will not regret it if you do buy one but i doubt you will regret a new sid or fox. 

Avoid unless you're deadset on the RS1

there's a reason they only came OEM for one year every one has gone back to traditional forks and when the new sid got launched it left the rs1 in its dust

service intervlas are roughly the same and i would expect them to be slightly ( maybe even not ) more expensive cause the Rs1 needs one or more special tools to get the lowers off.

Speaking massively under correction but wasn't the push from the pros to go back to the sid due to ease of changing in a rush? IE. Spare wheel from puncture at epic/xco race?

That didn't really apply to Joe blogs

Speaking massively under correction but wasn't the push from the pros to go back to the sid due to ease of changing in a rush? IE. Spare wheel from puncture at epic/xco race?

That didn't really apply to Joe blogs

I don't know for sure 

but i do know the sid is light and much stiffer so that in itself should make it the better choice for pro's 

I was also 1 of the guys saying Reba and Sid are the same thing but having both now the SID is different but only a little not only lighter but smoother as well. Having the same stantions and lowers I can't see where they saved the weight. I have to say this in the Reba's defense it's only noticeable when riding them back to back.

It is pointless going for upside down forks, in motorbikes where they are mounted in a triple clamp by inverting the forks you gain fork travel by having the outer fork tubes run up past the headset bearings and in MX and enduro bikes this is worth it, but the RS1 still has a neck so you gain no more travel, and you still have the flex issues involved with a fork with a neck. You also gain the issue that the stanctions are low and vulnerable, if you damage the stanction tubes on rocks they will eat the fork seals and you will have to replace the seals and recoat the stanctions. So ya don't bother,