The "I need something you might throw away" thread

Kalahari Vegmot

14 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

I have one from my 6800 Ultegra groupset which I swopped out for my OSPW, Not sure if it's compatible. Ask around and let me know.

I found 1, thanks R.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, RobertWhitehead said:

I am kinda sure you will be able to make it fit

Screenshot_20230620_095239_Brave.jpg

@RobertWhitehead seems to be some slight changes where they connect at the rear, as you said might be able to make it fit, especially if I don't manage to find the correct chain stay

please PM me with what you have in mind for it. 

Not quite in the spirit of the thread's name, but I've not been able to take my MTB chain off as I've lost (thrown away) my quicklink pliers. 

Or so I thought... So hunted high and low for them, but nope... In frustration, I ordered a new pair (see where this is going?). But the order failed, which was a good thing, as they're hanging on my bike stand, where I put them...

It's always in the last place I look, so I should look there first

1 minute ago, lechatnoir said:

Not quite in the spirit of the thread's name, but I've not been able to take my MTB chain off as I've lost (thrown away) my quicklink pliers. 

Or so I thought... So hunted high and low for them, but nope... In frustration, I ordered a new pair (see where this is going?). But the order failed, which was a good thing, as they're hanging on my bike stand, where I put them...

It's always in the last place I look, so I should look there first

for the future when your quicklink pliers are where they belong but you dont see them.

I've been using a piece of weedeater line to release the quicklink on my previous chains.  Thread it through the to closest links to the quicklink, pull the links together which forces the quicklink to disengage. 

I am looking for a broken di2 shifter for spares (r8050/r8070/R9150/R9170). I actually only need the springs (in pic) that goes onto the lever buttons if anyone know a way around it or an alternative. 

Screenshot_20230621_173239_Chrome.jpg

3 hours ago, RRIBike said:

I am looking for a broken di2 shifter for spares (r8050/r8070/R9150/R9170). I actually only need the springs (in pic) that goes onto the lever buttons if anyone know a way around it or an alternative. 

Do you know the sizes of those springs ?

I've got a box full of springs from old computer keyboards (dont ask).

5 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

I am not sure but will try to measure this evening when I get home, thanks

5 hours ago, RRIBike said:

If you are in Gauteng, you can try SA Spring manufacturers in Driehoek Germiston, they have LOTS of samples that was made up for Clients, they will help.

5 hours ago, RRIBike said:

Service gone wrong? Should I be concerned to open mine up?
My shifter has a mechanical click before the button click engages. No big deal, but YouTube video shows that it's likely these springs getting worn or mucky. The guy in the video simply cleaned and lubricated these springs and resolved his issues.

2 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

I'm in cape town. There are a few spring manufacturers here however none is close to me. Will need to plan a day out if I don't come right

3 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Service gone wrong? Should I be concerned to open mine up?
My shifter has a mechanical click before the button click engages. No big deal, but YouTube video shows that it's likely these springs getting worn or mucky. The guy in the video simply cleaned and lubricated these springs and resolved his issues.

No. Apparently the bike that the groupset came from was in a crash, unfortunately I took the risk as I couldn't view the groupset. I'm hoping it will be a cheap fix

1 minute ago, RRIBike said:

No. Apparently the bike that the groupset came from was in a crash, unfortunately I took the risk as I couldn't view the groupset. I'm hoping it will be a cheap fix

I hope so. Tag me with feedback if you fix it and I'll do likewise if I open mine up. 🙂

3 hours ago, RRIBike said:

I'm in cape town. There are a few spring manufacturers here however none is close to me. Will need to plan a day out if I don't come right

Is there a Brights hardware near you ?  Most of their branches have a wide selection of springs in stock.  I previously bought from them for various projects.

7 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

Width x Length

3mm x 5mm
6mm x 15mm

14 hours ago, RRIBike said:

Width x Length

3mm x 5mm
6mm x 15mm

I'll measure them on the weekend