The "I need something you might throw away" thread

Kalahari Vegmot

Hi all. Bit of a off topic question. I am in need of an iPhone X to use as parts for mine. I use it as my “cycling computer” and due to some unfortunate events mine has taken some damage 😆 

please let me know if anyone has one kicking around that I could buy off you or trade some bike bits for. 

smashed screen etc is okay aslong as the internals and cameras are working that’s cool. 

all the best 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have a 24 Hole MTB rim to exchange for some beer?

Got given a set of SRAM Roam 40 wheels, but the rear rim is completely toast

Hey Guys. 

Looking for an old spindle styled bottom bracket to complete an old Le Jeune I'm busy rebuilding. 

I have added a picture as an example. 

Screenshot_20230820_153155_com.facebook.katana.jpg.d083fc100bc4a6c1cde785afe5251664.jpg

I've over tightened the bolt which fastens the the crank arm to the bb spindle and unfortunately the bolt snapped. 

I could upgrade to a sealed bb, but they are pricey and I'm already over budget. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks 

8 hours ago, Cronie said:

Hey Guys. 

Looking for an old spindle styled bottom bracket to complete an old Le Jeune I'm busy rebuilding. 

I have added a picture as an example. 

Screenshot_20230820_153155_com.facebook.katana.jpg.d083fc100bc4a6c1cde785afe5251664.jpg

I've over tightened the bolt which fastens the the crank arm to the bb spindle and unfortunately the bolt snapped. 

I could upgrade to a sealed bb, but they are pricey and I'm already over budget. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks 

What does the sealed bearing look like, maybe I have something 

3 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

What does the sealed bearing look like, maybe I have something 

Hey Robert thanks for your response. I think you are referring to the sealed bottom bracket cartridge? 

It basically looks like this:

Screenshot_20230821_110157.jpg.b2808d4615e8ed080e77720d9732971e.jpg

The bolts in the picture below is what I was reffering to that snapped off on the bb when I overtightened. 

Screenshot_20230821_110045_com.facebook.katana.jpg.77e2018175a6e980d9dd4cc2862e970c.jpg

I'm currently trying to get an old Formula The One brakeset working. I serviced the rear brake and it works gorgeously, but the front brake isn't budging, despite disassembly and cleaning. Does anyone perhaps have another brake like this or the seals that typically go around the sealing screws and pots?

I am looking for a Garmin CADENCE sensor (only), and I have a Garmin (new/unused) Garmin SPPED sensor (indoor trainer sensor) to SWAP...

Tx. Chris 072 211 7725

On 8/21/2023 at 11:11 AM, Cronie said:

Hey Robert thanks for your response. I think you are referring to the sealed bottom bracket cartridge? 

It basically looks like this:

The bolts in the picture below is what I was reffering to that snapped off on the bb when I overtightened. 

That's a square taper bottom bracket. The bearing face on the shaft is a wear item, if you use a 2nd hand one make sure the bearing face is not worn. You should be able to buy a complete new assembly for about R300. Make sure you get the right length to match your old one.

The cranks fit onto the taper, if you managed to break the bolt you could have easily damaged the cranks or got them so tight they never come off.

You get special tools for pulling the cranks off and also for tightening/loosening the castle nuts on that cartridge.

8 hours ago, Zebra said:

I am looking for a Garmin CADENCE sensor (only), and I have a Garmin (new/unused) Garmin SPPED sensor (indoor trainer sensor) to SWAP...

Tx. Chris 072 211 7725

If you weren't so far away .... I have one

2 hours ago, i24 said:

That's a square taper bottom bracket. The bearing face on the shaft is a wear item, if you use a 2nd hand one make sure the bearing face is not worn. You should be able to buy a complete new assembly for about R300. Make sure you get the right length to match your old one.

The cranks fit onto the taper, if you managed to break the bolt you could have easily damaged the cranks or got them so tight they never come off.

You get special tools for pulling the cranks off and also for tightening/loosening the castle nuts on that cartridge.

That's correct. I've got the necessary tools. Removed the crank arms and bb today and this is the setup. IMG_20230822_155503.jpg.e8df52e222901669921d778d84bfc7f3.jpg

Luckily nothing was damaged. Ive decided to go for a brand new setup like this original one and not sealed cartridge square tapered bb. This I mainly because it's alot cheaper than I expected and also because I'd like to keep the bike as original as possible. 

Thanks for your input🙏

53 minutes ago, Cronie said:

That's correct. I've got the necessary tools. Removed the crank arms and bb today and this is the setup. IMG_20230822_155503.jpg.e8df52e222901669921d778d84bfc7f3.jpg

Luckily nothing was damaged. Ive decided to go for a brand new setup like this original one and not sealed cartridge square tapered bb. This I mainly because it's alot cheaper than I expected and also because I'd like to keep the bike as original as possible. 

Thanks for your input🙏

Mine is new and free :oops:

7 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Mine is new and free :oops:

Wow. That is very kind of you thank you Robert. I will dm you and we can chat🙏

19 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

If you weren't so far away .... I have one

thanks, a chap in SEA POINT (Dean) has one he is selling me, so I am sorted, but thanks for thinking of me!

Chris