Cyclists with a "Running" Problem - Running Shoes

EmJayZA

This is my go-to shoe as well! Love them. Haven't done longer than 30 in them, though... Love them! I have the "launch" version - very bright with an upper to match the soles, orange going into yellow. Had them for a long time before starting to run in them properly.

Barry, it's the Freedom ISO. 4mm drop, nice shoe box, not highly padded, so that's the only concern I have for going further than 30. But my "long run" shoes are now past their best-before date, so I'll give this a try before a next marathon.

I took them for na 4,5km run this morning.

I loved my Kinvaras but these Freemom ISO is in a different class.

Last night I was almost cross with myself with spending so much money on a pair of shoes... but after my run, I dont regret it at all.

New Shoes means new PB's. Everytime I buy a pair of new shoes, they feel so bouncy, and you just wanna go fast. Lol

Edited by Lexx

New Shoes means new PB's. Everytime I buy a pair of new shoes, they feel so bouncy, and you just wanna go fast. Lol

The problem with these shoes are, they just want to go fast, period! They claim there's added longevity in the shoe, plenty of reviewers also mentioned it. So that's part of my biggest hope. And tbh, I've only done 200 in them and they feel as new. Fit still awesome, soles looks brand-new but for some marks. 

Best part is Vitality assisted shopping...  ;)

Who here also runs in the Nike Free Run range? I use it currently and I have a total of 5 pairs, two of which are still brand new. When I started running in 2016, I was told by some guy at Randburg Runner that it 'wasn't designed for running, and that I will be prone to injuries'. My ITB issues were from before I started running so that doesn't count. So has anyone else picked up injuries because of using this shoe perhaps?

Edited by tjommies3

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Dicovery Shoe Booster... I picked up some Peregrine 8's - will definitely hit the trails in them this weekend! 

But seriously, could they not do anything more funky with the colours for the male shoes. Fortunately there was a black option as well. But to go and make the lady shoe a screaming red (stunning!) and then the dullest grey and blue combo for the male version?! Ja, I know looks only count for so much. 

The "Cyclists with a "Running" Problem" thread has so much valuable info in it, but it's hitting 500 pages now. Since we chat about running shoes so often, I thought it would be better to split these posts out into its own thread so others can find this info easily.

I'll start.

Found this interesting for the Asics fans:

https://www.runningshoesguru.com/content/best-asics-running-shoes/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=asics_running_shoes_the_2018_updated_guide&utm_term=2018-04-06

Some reviews on the shoes I have used:

New Balance Fresh Foam Lazr (Neutral Shoe)

Terrible long distance running shoe. Ate the back of my feet and made my feet numb. The store assistant admitted that they are having issues with these shoes. Didn't play around with new lacing techniques as I returned them (got a full refund towards another set of New Balance). A nice looking shoe, and would work well in the gym and for cross fit style training as it feels flatter. They did feel nimble and fast though.

New Balance Fresh Foam 1080 v6 (Neutral Shoe)

My very first pair of real running shoes. They didn't give me a single issue, not even a blister. Have 1000km on them and they still have some life left. No tears in the fabric and slight wear on the soles. I suspect I will get 1300km out of them. They do feel big and "boat" like as they have a wide toe box. They are also quite pricey though (around R2,500).

New Balance Fresh Foam 880s (Neutral Shoe)

This shoe is very comfortable, feels faster and smaller than the 1080s. Also looks nicer than the 1080s. These shoes however make my feet numb 20 minutes into a run, no matter which lacing pattern I use, or how loose they are. The tongue of this shoe seems to have more padding in it, which I think is what is causing the issue. I do have high arches, but not overly high, so I would be cautious.

Is the answer not to actually move this to the trailhub.co.za sister site?

Where can I by Nike Zoom Fly online. The problem is, I'm not going to Joburg or PTA in the next Month.

Hi have you tried purchasing online from Nike. I am also interested in the zoom fly but seems none of the Nike stores stock them any longer but they are available online with free delivery if you register on Nike.

Am currently out of SA but hope to order mine soon.

I don't think the usual posters here frequent that site as much... I also don't do any trail running. 

I don't think the usual posters here frequent that site as much... I also don't do any trail running. yet....

Fixed, one day you will realise that tar is boring and mountains set the soul free.

Fixed, one day you will realise that tar is boring and mountains set the soul free.

I have no doubt. One of my bucket list items is to do an ultra trail run. Comrades first though. 

That place is dead, though

• 2 years later...

I'm looking for a new pair of running shoes.

They have to have a boa dial for closing, or a similar method, but I do not want laces.

I'm looking for a store either in Sandton, or somewhere in the East Rand.

Any recommendations?

I'm looking for a new pair of running shoes.

They have to have a boa dial for closing, or a similar method, but I do not want laces.

I'm looking for a store either in Sandton, or somewhere in the East Rand.

Any recommendations?

What about elastic laces? You put them in once and never really need to adjust. Stood the test of time in triathlons. They have small knots/knobs every cm or so so they don't come undone. 

I think I might have once seen a boa on running shoes but for the life of me I can't recall.

The "Cyclists with a "Running" Problem" thread has so much valuable info in it, but it's hitting 500 pages now. Since we chat about running shoes so often, I thought it would be better to split these posts out into its own thread so others can find this info easily. 

I'll start. 

Found this interesting for the Asics fans:

https://www.runningshoesguru.com/content/best-asics-running-shoes/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=asics_running_shoes_the_2018_updated_guide&utm_term=2018-04-06

Some reviews on the shoes I have used:

New Balance Fresh Foam Lazr (Neutral Shoe)

Terrible long distance running shoe. Ate the back of my feet and made my feet numb. The store assistant admitted that they are having issues with these shoes. Didn't play around with new lacing techniques as I returned them (got a full refund towards another set of New Balance). A nice looking shoe, and would work well in the gym and for cross fit style training as it feels flatter. They did feel nimble and fast though. 

New Balance Fresh Foam 1080 v6 (Neutral Shoe)

My very first pair of real running shoes. They didn't give me a single issue, not even a blister. Have 1000km on them and they still have some life left. No tears in the fabric and slight wear on the soles. I suspect I will get 1300km out of them. They do feel big and "boat" like as they have a wide toe box. They are also quite pricey though (around R2,500). 

New Balance Fresh Foam 880s (Neutral Shoe)

This shoe is very comfortable, feels faster and smaller than the 1080s. Also looks nicer than the 1080s. These shoes however make my feet numb 20 minutes into a run, no matter which lacing pattern I use, or how loose they are. The tongue of this shoe seems to have more padding in it, which I think is what is causing the issue. I do have high arches, but not overly high, so I would be cautious. 

time to get this up and running again then?

http://www.trailhub.co.za/

time to get this up and running again then?

http://www.trailhub.co.za/

Still doesn't work  :(

Tested again and my posts just don't show up. 

Still waiting for admin to respond to query from like a hundred years ago