[Event] 2018 The Munga

walkerr

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Too early for Munga 2018 discussions?  :)

Wondering if riders on past editions found a need for more than the 2.5L of water from the rules. I saw Jeannie Dreyer's mention of 4L in particular. Do others carry this much? 2.5L I can stash on bike, but 4L is heading towards Camelbak territory - which for longer events I prefer to ride without.

Going to be following this thread with great interest.

Carrying 4L without a camelback might be rather problematic I would think?

Which made me think of bike choice for this race. Hardtail or Dual Suss? 2015/16 was won on a HT, 2017 on a dual suss. I read the report of Vetseun and he was saying his bike (HT) was the perfect bike for the race. Would be interested to know what others opinion on this matter is?

Going to be following this thread with great interest.

Carrying 4L without a camelback might be rather problematic I would think?

Which made me think of bike choice for this race. Hardtail or Dual Suss? 2015/16 was won on a HT, 2017 on a dual suss. I read the report of Vetseun and he was saying his bike (HT) was the perfect bike for the race. Would be interested to know what others opinion on this matter is?

Against the advice of several people I respect, and who have ridden it before, I am going HT. I have my reasons .... and I won't be racing for a podium, which lessens the impact somewhat of the corrugations. It also does, at least, help in the water side of things. I can get 2x1L bottles in my frame triangle, and will prob sling 2x500 or 600s on fork mounted cages. I could of course stick 750s or even 1000s on there also, but I'm thinking/hoping at this stage that 3L or just above should be OK.

Against the advice of several people I respect, and who have ridden it before, I am going HT. I have my reasons .... and I won't be racing for a podium, which lessens the impact somewhat of the corrugations. It also does, at least, help in the water side of things. I can get 2x1L bottles in my frame triangle, and will prob sling 2x500 or 600s on fork mounted cages. I could of course stick 750s or even 1000s on there also, but I'm thinking/hoping at this stage that 3L or just above should be OK.

I think the amount of water to carry is very much weather dependant. From what I can make out 2016 was ridiculously hot and windy from the start. Last year the weather seemed a lot milder and more favourable (the times definitely seem to suggest this too).

If you get 2016 conditions, 3L might not cut it, whereas similar weather to last year it might be fine? Agreed that a HT does potentially give more space for bottles in frame compared to a dual suss.

I think the amount of water to carry is very much weather dependant. From what I can make out 2016 was ridiculously hot and windy from the start. Last year the weather seemed a lot milder and more favourable (the times definitely seem to suggest this too).

If you get 2016 conditions, 3L might not cut it, whereas similar weather to last year it might be fine? Agreed that a HT does potentially give more space for bottles in frame compared to a dual suss.

You dont have a choice in terms of the minimum amount of water that you start with. There is a chick that checks your bike at the sign in. She takes no prisoners. Either you have enough water or not. Enough, with your other essential basics and she signs off. Not enough, she tells you to sort it out and come back for another inspection.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I did to pass water inspection.

2 conventional bottle mounts.Plus...

One on top tube and one on aero bar.

It worked well.attachicon.gifpost-14677-0-82777500-1511946981.jpg

Nice. Will prob skip aero bars - barely used them on TCR, except to hang stuff on. Being fewer days, should be able to travel with much less luggage also. 4 water bottles, feed bags for some food, few spares, dry bag under saddle with some spare gear. Will be minimal though compared to TCR - warm layer, spare short, toothbrush etc. Real basics

• 4 weeks later...

I have a friend that did the very first Munga in 2015...he was also the first to enter with his race number being "1"  :thumbup:  

Over the last 2 to 3 months we have trained together each weekend and I can not remember one training session that we did NOT speak about MUNGA!!!

- from day 2 of MUNGA EVERY bit of his body was hurting...even his earlobes...LOL

- falling asleep while riding...classic and priceless...luckily not getting hurt  :eek:

- burnt from the sun and having a TAN LINE 8 months after the race...

- his lips were SO burnt and blistered from the sun...very painful...having the correct Lip Meds is very important in the Karoo sun and heat...

- etc...etc...too many stories...

It is such a great race that he can not stop talking about it...and he WANTS to go back and do THE MUNGA.

:clap: this IS A LIFE CHANGING EVENT as far as I can gather...do not even THINK that it is not...THIS IS THE RACE TO DO...

Hope and prey I can also do it one day...even BETTER would be to do it together with Wessel one day  :thumbup:  

Go and enjoy guys and gals...you might not have fun for the whole 5 days, but completing the Munga will probably be in your top 5 awesome things you will do in your life  :clap:

EDIT: spelling

Edited by CASSIE1975

1 way of carrying 4l of water comfortably is a handlebar bag that takes a 3l bladder.

The nozzle pops up near the stem so it's out of the way but close enough to drink from.

3kg over the handlebar is also not really noticeable on straight roads.

I saw a lot of guys at the Dirty Kanza and DK XXL with this setup so it is tried and tested.