[Event] 2018 The Munga

walkerr

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

51 degrees at 14h00 last year folks...attachicon.gif51 deg munga.jpg

Lovely - I'll remember to pack my trunks ...

Edit - I remember riding through some town in Germany last year at 3am on TCR and the fuel station temp guage was still reading 35C. Couple of riders up ahead logged temps over 50C, and we had days in a row over 45C. You definitely need to adjust your riding to survive that kind of stuff.

Edited by walkerr

I'm interested to hear which GPS units are most popular.  Seems like the Audax guys prefer the Garmin Etrex as it uses normal penlight batteries - but looking at pic's of the Munga bikes it seems like the Edge is the one....any opinions?

I'm interested to hear which GPS units are most popular.  Seems like the Audax guys prefer the Garmin Etrex as it uses normal penlight batteries - but looking at pic's of the Munga bikes it seems like the Edge is the one....any opinions?

Will be running an eTrex and Wahoo Elemnt in combo.

the Etrax is great .Battery life will cover the complete event

I am also thinking about running the Garmin 520 and Etrex20x in combo as my 520 missed some routes in the past. Really would like to avoid getting lost because of my GPS.

the Etrax is great .Battery life will cover the complete event

Possibly - but in my experience, with backlight use, about 50 to 70 hours is the range from a pair of Ultra Lithium AAs. I'll definitely be carrying a spare set as I'm expecting to ride at night a lot, and even on min backlight there is extra battery drain.

Edit - you can also run on external USB power too (assuming you carry a USB cable). So worst case, your extender battery can keep the eTrex going. You need to set the backlight on max then though as the current drain is so low from the eTrex that most extender batteries think they have nothing connected and switch off after about 30 seconds

Edited by walkerr

Does anybody know what the "medical kit (supplied by ER24 at race registration)" contains?

Cheers guys and good training,

I've built up a dynamo hub and wheel for one of the top 10 finishers from last year.  So this year less stopping time will be needed to recharge lights and devices.  Will be interesting to see if it makes a difference.

I was really happy with the build - it ended up being lighter than his normal Csixx carbon front wheel! 

Laid all my kit out at weekend to check my packing approach - probably looks like a lot, but after packing for TCR last year it feels like I'm taking nothing at all. And I've probably got backups and spares that a lot of folks would skip too

44991687_581476478970288_580956925073345

Laid all my kit out at weekend to check my packing approach - probably looks like a lot, but after packing for TCR last year it feels like I'm taking nothing at all. And I've probably got backups and spares that a lot of folks would skip too

44991687_581476478970288_580956925073345

Nice.

I'm assuming the red bottle is chain lube. Why not put less it into a smaller bottle?

Also - you have 2 light batteries, but only one charger. What's the plan there? Charge one with the Dynamo, or charge one, and then wake in the middle of your sleep to switch over charge to the other?

Edited by GaryvdM

Nice.

I'm assuming the red bottle is chain lube. Why not put less it into a smaller bottle?

Also - you have 2 light batteries, but only one charger. What's the plan there? Charge one with the Dynamo, or charge one, and then wake in the middle of your sleep to switch over charge to the other?

Yep - I may decant lube into smaller bottle if I can find.

Not riding dynamo. In theory, with both those batteries charged I can probably do the whole event. Charger weighs little and is more of a just-in-case. I'll top one of the batteries up when I sleep anyhow given time and a spare outlet

I did the 2 battery thing but charging is an issue as the stops are short.

Please remember to run you light on the lowest setting where possible. I forgot to do that and my light died in the Tankwa.When your mind is tired you make silly mistakes. As long as you helmet light is good you will survive.

If those bottles are not camelback toss them. Only use Camelback bottles they will save you.