When a winner isn't a winner

Hackster

Wouldn't mind some thoughts on this.

Is it bad form to game the system when entering races?

Hypothetical situation A

You're race fit for the 50 km version of the event where you'd probably finish in the top 20 or so, but you choose instead to enter the 25 km version because you know you'll win it with ease which will score you a prize worth R5k.

Hypothetical situation B

You've won your class in a race two years running, together with the prizes and accolades that come with it. Do you step aside to let someone else have a crack at the podium or do you just keep creaming it year after year? 

Caveats: 

I'm not talking about pro events, I'm referencing medium to large fun rides that attract competitors ranging from folk pedalling in their crocs (not judging) to fit & fast amateur racers.

Asking for a friend of a friend.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It boils down to personal goal IMO.

Everyone enters a race knowing that there will be a winner, and a possibility that they will not be that winner. So the fact that someone "specializes" in that distance and keeps on winning is not an issue for me. As with time, the youngsters will chase this winner down, and due to this the standard of the sport rises. 5 years later the "winner's" time becomes the new average.

Further to the above you get people who feel that they win when they keep on winning a specific class/event, others feel that once they have beaten a specific group, they need a new challenge.

It boils down to personal goal IMO.

Everyone enters a race knowing that there will be a winner, and a possibility that they will not be that winner. So the fact that someone "specializes" in that distance and keeps on winning is not an issue for me. As with time, the youngsters will chase this winner down, and due to this the standard of the sport rises. 5 years later the "winner's" time becomes the new average.

Further to the above you get people who feel that they win when they keep on winning a specific class/event, others feel that once they have beaten a specific group, they need a new challenge.

Yes but what if you can't beat the faster person and still want to win, shouldn't the faster person step aside rather?

I don't think you'll get any top pro stepping aside from winning a grand tour simply to let someone else have a chance. If you're good enough to win go win and get the prizes.

As letum911 said, it's down to personal challenges. If you're happy to stay at the lower distance to win fine but if  you want to challenge yourself then give the longer distance a go.

of course this is for your friends friend

Yes but what if you can't beat the faster person and still want to win, shouldn't the faster person step aside rather?

What the hell for? In the name of "fairness"? Sod that. The real world does not give everyone trophies for participation. If there's someone cleaning up at the local races, that's fine. Makes everyone else race / train harder. 

Joh, this sort of mentality bugs me. 

I think situation A is just sad.. No spine.

In situation B, if you're strong enough each year to win, go for it! You're not going to win every race in a season. So if that's the race you peak for, it's up to the other competitors to take the race from you.

What the hell for? In the name of "fairness"? Sod that. The real world does not give everyone trophies for participation. If there's someone cleaning up at the local races, that's fine. Makes everyone else race / train harder. 

Joh, this sort of mentality bugs me. 

I think I forgot my sarcasm tag, here it is /s.

In situation B, if you're strong enough each year to win, go for it! You're not going to win every race in a season. So if that's the race you peak for, it's up to the other competitors to take the race from you.

Worked for a guy named Lance ...

Friday thread, I have been looking for you.

Do it, take the winnings as long as it makes you happy :thumbup:

I won an Open Seeded batch recently after putting in big efforts and taking the sprint win, it still felt nice.

Racetec stuffed up the results of the event by putting the results of some of the VA/VB/VC guys ahead of me. But it doesn't bother me, I know I won, even though it was the sad Open Seeded batch it was still nice to compete against my peers.

After a while I might not see it as an accomplishment anymore, then I will join the VA/VB/VC guys untill winning that gets boring :devil:

Worked for a guy named Lance ...

Yeah exactly! He gave the others plenty of others races to win during the rest of the year  :ph34r:

Hypothetical situation A

You're race fit for the 50 km version of the event where you'd probably finish in the top 20 or so, but you choose instead to enter the 25 km version because you know you'll win it with ease which will score you a prize worth R5k.

Tricky one that... 

I think no matter how you spin it is really a bit of a d%ck move to win the short event when you really should be competing in the longer distance. (5K is a lot though...)

That said, no rule against it and I myself might have attempted something like that in the past  :ph34r:

Archived