Scammer: Peets

Apeman2

Guys, he said he is not Peets, let's trust him.

Then again, I can say I don't ride a Specialized and hope that you believe me.

"Member since:Today 10 o'clock" Sure buddy, we will believe everything you say because you have such a long track record.

Noice. When are you changing your name to Veteran or Master? just don't go killing younglings please

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This reminds of that story on Carte Blanche a few years ago where a guy bought a Pinarello from a bike shop in Gauteng only to find out that it was in fact a Chinarello ????????????

This thread has got zero chance of reaching the same status or page count of that one.

LOL The OP gave those guys a serious lesson

I've had some fake frames and parts come through my workshop.  The good ones you will not be able to tell from photos.  You start to get suspicious when you find things like the headset bearings fitted before the last clear coat is applied, the braze on FD mount is riveted straight into the carbon without reinforcement, the internal cabling has to go through a maze of carbon fibres and plastic and so on.

I think parts and rims are even more difficult to spot and often come to light only when they fail.  Suspect stuff comes up on the Hub.  One of my customers bought a seatpost here that failed and proved to be fake and recently when I was searching for a saddle I came across two that I found very suspicious.  One had a slight fold in the cover material at the back and the other had a pattern that I could not find the exact picture of.  None of this stuff was at "bargain" prices when compared with the new.

Don't ride anything fake. Inferior build with inferior materials. You could experience a catastrophic failure and put yourself at risk. I had fake Ritchie MTB bars that snapped like a twig!

Many will disagree with you on the Chinese Carbon thread https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/125808-chinese-carbon-thread/?hl=chinese

all of these posts have made me rethink my own "specialized s-works epic". I bought it at a really good price several years ago, but it was an old model and a 26'er needing some maintenance. I could never find the serial number...

I've since had everything restored besides the paint job. There was an issue of bosses for the bottlecage coming loose form the carbon but it was fixed. There was an issue of a loose headset where Wendell Bole discovered the stem was shortened.

Besides all of this, I've ridden this bike like a downhill bike (except for jumps, but raced down the slate-like rocks at Hopewell Trails), it's taken massive beating and so far all the components held up amazingly and the frame hasn't cracked at all. I'm at a point where hearing its a fake won't make me love my 26'er any less.

Irrelevant to the OP that may or may not have been conned, but just a short story I'm sharing regarding my own hub purchase years ago.

Clearly my point was not well articulated, it was more focused on the amount of energy being spent by the local sleuths, trying to identify the frame in question. 

Based only on the information at my disposal the OP stated that he did not approach the seller via the hub, but that the offer of the frame was made directly to him by the seller, while inspecting a bike for his friend.  A point that some of the posts seem to overlook (myself included at the start). 

My suggestion that we get some high energy hubber to draft a template complain form which will include all the relevant information for the hub-mafia/protectors/crowd/enforcers to make an inform judgement. 

I may or may not have snorted my coffee reading this.

Noice. When are you changing your name to Veteran or Master? just don't go killing younglings please

Thanks, but the more you learn about a topic like cycling, the more you just realize how little you know. Might consider something like Novice in about 5 years time, we'll see.

EDIT:SPELLING

I've had some fake frames and parts come through my workshop. The good ones you will not be able to tell from photos. You start to get suspicious when you find things like the headset bearings fitted before the last clear coat is applied, the braze on FD mount is riveted straight into the carbon without reinforcement, the internal cabling has to go through a maze of carbon fibres and plastic and so on.

I agree, and if you know the product and in the business of trading them you will pick these up very quickly.

whilst you're here...we never worked out how one of your riders got a suspension that no one heard of and when it came onto a hub thread it MAGICALLY disappeared off the drugfreesport website....

#NeverForget

I'm not saying the Chinese make k@k carbon components, I'll saying the fake components are likely to be k@k, because why make a high quality fake?

Mmmm, a 'quality fake' sounds like an oxymoron.

There is nothing different between a "fake" and the average chinese carbon frame. The one is just sprayed with branding. NO other difference. How do I know this? I ride a chinese hardtail since 2012. Many races and Trans Baviaans' later, still 100%. The factory I bought it from can supply you the same frame painted as a Specialized Stumpjumper. Apart from the paint, no difference. So please don't try make it sound as if a "fake" is a category on its own.

The factory I bought it from can supply you the same frame painted as a Specialized Stumpjumper. Apart from the paint, no difference. .

You are admitting that the factory you bought from are criminals. They have no compulsion in breaking the law, so it cannot be said that they will behave ethically when it comes to quality control or safety.

There is nothing different between a "fake" and the average chinese frame. .

First, there is no such thing as an "average chinese carbon frame". Some are excelent, some are downright dangerous. You cannot average those two.

Reputable factories make excelent products, criminals do what criminals do.

So please don't try make it sound as if a "fake" is a category on its own.

Fake IS a category on its own and one seperate from reputable Chinese manufacturers, believing anything different makes anyone a fool.

Discussions off topic.

Up and till now a photo of the frame in question not posted by OP...

Heading of this threat contains a name of a person.

Why has admin not closed this topic yet?

very difficult to concentrate at work while this topic is still running....hahaha

I'm not saying the Chinese make k@k carbon components, I'll saying the fake components are likely to be k@k, because why make a high quality fake?

Mmmm, a 'quality fake' sounds like an oxymoron. 

Lets call it a "quality reproduction"

Lets call it a "quality reproduction"

A common modus operandi is to do production overruns on the molds. As in: supplier buys twice the amount of raw material and delivers only what the customer ordered. They then offset the rest in the local market, and through online sites.

Essentially the same product, but probably much less quality control and possibly one of those parts that didn't pass initial checks, but you might also get a brilliant product that is exactly the same as the name brand. But there is no way to know which one you will get.

A common modus operandi is to do production overruns on the molds. As in: supplier buys twice the amount of raw material and delivers only what the customer ordered. They then offset the rest in the local market, and through online sites.

Essentially the same product, but probably much less quality control and possibly one of those parts that didn't pass initial checks, but you might also get a brilliant product that is exactly the same as the name brand. But there is no way to know which one you will get.

There is, only buy from a Hubber with 10 000 000 posts.

Archived