Poor design thread

David Marshall

A common thing that confuses me is how perforations INCREASE the strength of packaging. Bizarre!

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not bike related . . . . . But just one of my pet peeves.  

There should be a  building law against building a residential house where the walls end higher than the roof cladding. 

Sooner or later the thing starts leaking there with the  water running down the wall inside the house. 

And the plaster always starts cracking on top  those  exposed walls after a few years as a result of weather exposure. 

Where is it needed between units for fire safety  regulations, the top of that wall should also be covered with  roof cladding.

Yes, you can say stuff like doing it properly and doing maintenance and what about individual taste and all those things.  

But why in hell build a flaw into your building that someone will have to redo or maintain later?

That is just piss-poor design. 

The roof cladding must cover all the building walls if viewed from the above, problem solved. 

Its an unwritten rule, the roof must be bigger than the house. Solves all water leak problems.

We have endless problems with leaks at our offices because form trumped function so we have an elaborate gables and roof sections coupled with flat sections.

Insurance won't pay as they say it is a design flaw. Disaster.

Waterproofing only gets you so far unfortunately.........

We were not that lucky...  This was a very reputable roofing co - sent their C-team out to us...

that looks like exceptional quality workmanship  :cursing:

Not really a "design failure" but had the Maxigate guys installing a big gate Infront of our lounge windows, which reach to the floor. About 4 metres wide. The guys measured either side of the frame for the top rail. Since the two side pillars were equal, they decided that the top will be flat. So they drilled and mounted it to the wall without measuring the height in the centre. Didn't consider that a bar that length will have a small sag in the middle due to its weight.

I noticed that it was sagging in the middle and pointed it out. According to the workers and manager, it was an optical illusion. Then measured the two sides from floor too the bar, and from the Flore to the centre of the top bar. 1.5cm lower in the centre. Their answer:sometimes the floor is skew. So we measured from bar to ceiling, and still 1.5cm. They could not understand that even a metal bar will have a bit of "sag" in this situation due to its weight.

Also put a hot drill bit on our carpet, which now has burn marks.

Any cycle computer except Garmin.

Any sunglasses except Oakley.

:ph34r:

did you not leave out Spez by mistake :devil:

Garmin watch with the integrated strap ... you break a strap, you need a whole ^#$^&$#^ new watch!

The Garmin is a relic in my cupboard now where bad ideas go to die.

did you not leave out Spez by mistake :devil:

Kid you not, I had it in there and then removed it because I am split between Spez and Colnago.

Not really a "design failure" but had the Maxigate guys installing a big gate Infront of our lounge windows, which reach to the floor. About 4 metres wide. The guys measured either side of the frame for the top rail. Since the two side pillars were equal, they decided that the top will be flat. So they drilled and mounted it to the wall without measuring the height in the centre. Didn't consider that a bar that length will have a small sag in the middle due to its weight.

I noticed that it was sagging in the middle and pointed it out. According to the workers and manager, it was an optical illusion. Then measured the two sides from floor too the bar, and from the Flore to the centre of the top bar. 1.5cm lower in the centre. Their answer:sometimes the floor is skew. So we measured from bar to ceiling, and still 1.5cm. They could not understand that even a metal bar will have a bit of "sag" in this situation due to its weight.

Also put a hot drill bit on our carpet, which now has burn marks.

If you have OCD issues, never ever measure your house, ever....

I used to hang curtains as a side job in high school. the number of times the floor, window top, window bottom and ceiling were not aligned or perfectly horizontal is scary, very very few houses are square. My favorite party trick was to hang a curtain rail perfectly horizontal and then when the clients said no it was skew I would put a few different spirit levels on the rail and tell them look the house is skew...

Kid you not, I had it in there and then removed it because I am split between Spez and Colnago.

The Romans build the Aqueducts and some other nice pieces like Vespa's. On good design it's a no-brainer.....

Ford vs Alfa :oops:  :offtopic:  :whistling:

If you have OCD issues, never ever measure your house, ever....

I used to hang curtains as a side job in high school. the number of times the floor, window top, window bottom and ceiling were not aligned or perfectly horizontal is scary, very very few houses are square. My favorite party trick was to hang a curtain rail perfectly horizontal and then when the clients said no it was skew I would put a few different spirit levels on the rail and tell them look the house is skew...

false ... it is the house following the curvature of the earth :P

Garmin watch with the integrated strap ... you break a strap, you need a whole ^#$^&$#^ new watch!

The Garmin is a relic in my cupboard now where bad ideas go to die.

We just going to say the Garmin strap... Doesn't last much longer than a year

But yes.. Integrated strap.. Gave my last one away because the strap was going to cost 500 bucks

My new garmin I bought with the strap issue in mind. I can also buy a replacement non garmin one for €10 from Amazon. Just replaced the original and testing the new one out

Archived