Evil bikes thread

PhilipV

Quick update. 

So I've been on my Following MB now for a couple of months and I'm still working on getting the suspension dialed in. So far I'm close but I can't get the Pike to be 100% on fast stutter bumps like braking bumps. Seems to harden up a bit. 

Running 2 clicks of HSC and LSC from open and 8 click back from slowest on rebound. 

Rear shock seems fine as it came out of the box. 

Made a couple of upgrades like the OneUp V2 dropper post and OneUp bar and EDC stem with tool. 

Big issue is the linkage bolts that are made of cheese. At correct torque settings they tend to start rounding out. Bit annoying but there is a company in the UK that makes Ti upgrade kit. 

One annoying issue I can't sort out is shifting to one specific gear in the back. Just wont climb up unless you give it a tiny bit of extra push on the shifter. Everything else is crisp and fast. I suspect it to be a machining issue on the Sunrace cassette. Down the line I'll upgrade the rear hub to microspline to run the SLX cassette to match the derailleur and shifter. 

I also have the grommet on the swing arm popping out occasionally. Seems like the movement of the swingarm causes the housing to move around a little bit too much and it pulls out. 

Other than that I am super happy. New photos coming soon.

Ja also very concerned about the linkage bolts... Those titainium from Burgtec are hellishly expensive. Seems like it's a common problem for all their bikes

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ja also very concerned about the linkage bolts... Those titainium from Burgtec are hellishly expensive. Seems like it's a common problem for all their bikes

I was so concerned that I ended up spending R6500 on new torque wrenches and precision bits to ensure I have the exact stuff I need to help prevent this.

• 1 month later...

Finally worked up the courage to enter a local enduro race over the weekend. Learned things:

Firstly, this was my first time riding the bike in anger, and it was awesome. The bike is such a beast at speed. Very few obstacles slow it down.

It was a super wet, muddy day, and the wreckoning is not great at it. It collects literally all of the mud, and after 2 lines I had clogged up everywhere around the suspension and crank. Not lekker when you spray it out and see all the little stones that's collected in between all the expensive carbon.

This has nothing to do with the bike, but I had to replace my tires before the race (maxxis dhf2 up front / aggressor rear). Bike has Derby carbon rims, and it was SUCH a lol to put them on. I literally washed out the rims, seated the tires, and pumped them up with a floor pump. I only added in the sealant a few days afterwards, and they were still pumped hard. I only mention this because I have literally never had a good experience getting new tubeless tires up and running...

post-6952-0-49388400-1606224075_thumb.jpg

Edited by traaidmark

Looks like you had a blast. 

I mirror the sentiment of mud getting in there and making you cringe when you wash it out. My chainstays are fairly scratched up already running a 2.4 at the back. I really wish we had more clearance. 

I'm heading to Karkloof in 2 weeks time. Can't wait to unleash my Following on those trails. Good times are coming. 

As for easy seating tires... some of them only require an asthmatic sheep with a straw to inflate. 

PS. No kneepads and those rocks makes my tjommie hurt. 

Edited by DR ◣◢

• 11 months later...
19 hours ago, Delarey said:

Added some new Evil in my life. Very much in love with this beast

E71C4384-DBD5-4F5A-BC8D-6A994E4FFCE1.jpeg

V1 Insurgent?
Very nice paintwork btw, wonder what that cost to get done?

8 minutes ago, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

V1 Insurgent?
Very nice paintwork btw, wonder what that cost to get done?

No, it’s a 2019 Offering with a 160mm Lyric in front. 
Not sure what the paint job cost, but it’s one of the best custom paint jobs I have ever seen.