Reversed Route 94.7 2018

mercurystorm

Still doesn't make it an easy, flat race as per your initial post?

Didn't imply it was flat, just that enough flat races for the sprinters out there. In 947, climbers/hard riders had a chance to shed the sprinters before the finish. Now the sprinters fresh for the first few climbs. And enough time to get back on if they are dropped before the finish. So could end up having the same culprits winning. Just a thought. And to break away on the first climbs makes for a long time to try stay away. So the dynamics of the race will totally change.

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would really like to see the progression of the route over the years.

Who would like to make maps of the routes and share them here, from the first race till now?

Edited by JA-Q001

Didn't imply it was flat, just that enough flat races for the sprinters out there. In 947, climbers/hard riders had a chance to shed the sprinters before the finish. Now the sprinters fresh for the first few climbs. And enough time to get back on if they are dropped before the finish. So could end up having the same culprits winning. Just a thought. And to break away on the first climbs makes for a long time to try stay away. So the dynamics of the race will totally change.

Froome can stay clear for 80km. How hard can it be? :whistling:

I also understand what you mean (for the first 500-1000 ELITE riders doing the race), but maybe the organizers listened to the other 27000-27500 people wanting to "ENJOY" the race and not just thinking of the "STRUGGLE and PAIN" for the last 25km's over those hills.

If some of the climbers / hard riders want to win, then maybe go and do the JOCK, or even the Race 4 Victory (150km's - which 40km's goes through the Suikerbos Reserve) and don't do the flatter races if the new route of 94.7 is too "flat"...this "reverse route" would also give another dimension to the 94.7 and give the initiative to the BREAKAWAY to work together and stay away from the "sprinters" to make sure they have a chance of winning?

The first half of the race looks like HILLS and should be possible for the climbers / hard riders to stay away then for the second half???

Yes it's awesome to win and be an Elite rider (I would guess)...but the other 27500 people just wanting to finish with a medal around their necks (normally in HEAT and WIND in the afternoon) and before cut-off time 16h30-17h00...isn't most of THIS day anyway also for THEM??  :thumbup:  

Just go and enjoy the race and maybe don't overthink the whole thing...just my 2 cents 

Flame suite ON  :ph34r:

I also understand what you mean (for the first 500-1000 ELITE riders doing the race), but maybe the organizers listened to the other 27000-27500 people wanting to "ENJOY" the race and not just thinking of the "STRUGGLE and PAIN" for the last 25km's over those hills.

Exactly... just a little classic Reverse Psychology to entertain the masses  :P

...but the other 27500 people just wanting to finish with a medal around their necks (normally in HEAT and WIND in the afternoon) and before cut-off time 16h30-17h00...isn't most of THIS day anyway also for THEM??  :thumbup:  

Just go and enjoy the race and maybe don't overthink the whole thing...just my 2 cents 

THIS !! 

:thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

I'm hoping they do the alternate year thing as mentioned previously, like the comrades. Could add some variance to each year, an "up" or "down" race if you will.

"up" and "down" races will be quit cool  :thumbup:

I think everyone needs to HTFU and ride whichever route to EARN the finishers medal not dictate and complain about routes and difficulty. It is the same as the able bodied doing races on an e-bike scenario - how did you exactly EARN your finishers medal??? By EARNing enough money to buy and e-bike and thus buy your medal rather than putting in the effort for it right???

The cancer of our society that want everything but do not want to put in the effort for it.

Do the training.

Ride the hard route.

Earn your finishers medal.

IMO. 2c added.

Edited by s14phoenix

If some of the climbers / hard riders want to win, then maybe go and do the JOCK, or even the Race 4 Victory (150km's - which 40km's goes through the Suikerbos Reserve) and don't do the flatter races if the new route of 94.7 is too "flat"...this "reverse route" would also give another dimension to the 94.7 and give the initiative to the BREAKAWAY to work together and stay away from the "sprinters" to make sure they have a chance of winning?

The first half of the race looks like HILLS and should be possible for the climbers / hard riders to stay away then for the second half???

Yes it's awesome to win and be an Elite rider (I would guess)...but the other 27500 people just wanting to finish with a medal around their necks (normally in HEAT and WIND in the afternoon) and before cut-off time 16h30-17h00...isn't most of THIS day anyway also for THEM??  :thumbup:  

You cant be serious.....27000 just want to enjoy the race..ha ha ha

You forget about the sub 2.5,sub 3,sub 3.5,sub 4 etc.

Thanks for clarifying.

I think it's still going to be tough, the strong guys are going to make everyone bleed on the first climbs and then stay away on the flats. Invariably the strongest guys in the bunch are also the guys who also sit in the front of the group, so I don't think the sprinters (wheelsuckers :whistling: ) will pull them back. Adds a nice dynamic to the race.

Someone said it earlier, very similar to what Tour Durban does. 

Thanks for clarifying.

I think it's still going to be tough, the strong guys are going to make everyone bleed on the first climbs and then stay away on the flats. Invariably the strongest guys in the bunch are also the guys who also sit in the front of the group, so I don't think the sprinters (wheelsuckers :whistling: ) will pull them back. Adds a nice dynamic to the race.

Someone said it earlier, very similar to what Tour Durban does. 

What is the Tour Durban like? Never ridden it, but based on the Amashova which I've always enjoyed I'm wondering what TD route and vibe is like.

What is the Tour Durban like? Never ridden it, but based on the Amashova which I've always enjoyed I'm wondering what TD route and vibe is like.

It's an awesome day out! Very hard start climbing up to Pinetown, then loooooong descend back to Durbs and then out and back on the M4 (scenic and fast). Bit of broken road before the climb and coming through town again, but all in, heaps of fun. Do it :thumbup:

You cant be serious.....27000 just want to enjoy the race..ha ha ha

You forget about the sub 2.5,sub 3,sub 3.5,sub 4 etc.

So the sub 2.5,sub 3,sub 3.5,sub 4 etc. guys are not part of the 27000 and don't enjoy the race? 

Okay...the last 5000 just want to go and enjoy the race...

Does anyone remember the Star 100 which started and finished at Nasrec in 87 or 88?

I know Wyatt did this one

All the way around JHB and included going up Allens Nek

We finished in a huge storm with sleet and ice

That race was, and still is, organised by the same club... question is, do you know the club?

First event took place in 1984.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk