Reversed Route 94.7 2018

mercurystorm

I am sure all the racing bunches did the same across them and unfortunately we don't have the luxury of time to slow down adequately to make them "safe" - this has always been a problem when they where towards the end or the towards the start now. Fresh or not you hope everyone's skills is up to par to negotiate them.

It is not a new risk and yes they are marked and marshalled but you either risk or drop off. I just think another measure can be made to smooth them out a bit for race day.

Those speed bumps through Steyn City scared me at the start - and I definitely didn't want to get dropped so early on! (At least when they were at the end of the race if you chose to be a bit more cautious the race was already basically over by then unless you were really intent on a podium position).

I think we had one guy in our bunch come down on the metal expansion joint at the U-turn onto the M1 - maybe it should have been covered?

Overall the new route suits me better I think - the slightly longer climbs this way round meant I could get to the top faster than the 'power' climbers who go flat out for 1-2min at the start of each climb. The main VB bunch did a similar time to last year, but it felt easier to me. The last bit to the finish doesn't really suit me (82km/hr and still being passed by everyone), but I'm going for time not position, so doesn't matter.

Edited by ridr

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those speed bumps through Steyn City scared me at the start - and I definitely didn't want to get dropped so early on! (At least when they were at the end of the race if you chose to be a bit more cautious the race was already basically over by then unless you were really intent on a podium position).

I think we had one guy in our bunch come down on the metal expansion joint at the U-turn onto the M1 - maybe it should have been covered?

Overall the new route suits me better I think - the slightly longer climbs this way round meant I could get to the top faster than the 'power' climbers who go flat out for 1-2min at the start of each climb. The main VB bunch did a similar time to last year, but it felt easier to me. The last bit to the finish doesn't really suit me (82km/hr and still being passed by everyone), but I'm going for time not position, so doesn't matter.

Was that in VB? Guy went down just in front of me. Also had a guy on a single speed finish with us. Seriously impressive!

Great ride, was the small bunch all in the same kit?

Nope, mixed bunch.

It grew and shrank through the undulations of the M1 but I seemed to always have the legs to get around the stragglers and power onto the bunch again.

i was really enjoying myself on sunday.

Was that in VB? Guy went down just in front of me. Also had a guy on a single speed finish with us. Seriously impressive!

Yip. Slow through the turn at least I presume, so managed to get back up and carry on from what I saw.

That single speed is there every year - seriously impressive. And he doesn't just sit in the bunch to finish - always attacks in attempts for top position in the last 10-15km.

Ps - on the R511 early morning bumper-to-bumper traffic approaching the venue a guy drove into the back of another and totaled two very pricey bikes on the bike rack...man...I have not seen such rage before! What a terrible day to non-start your race!        

My biggest fear when in traffic 

Lots of the stronger guys that was in VA last year was in VB this year at CC. This definitely contributed to the faster pace in VB.

True story  . . .  :ph34r: (VB was great fun - Loved the race flipped) 

Does anybody have a CTCT reference? Same fitness level?

In my opinion:

Although a bit faster, 947 is harder but that is because I am not a mountain goat.

It is 15km shorter but at 1325m (on my Garmin) significantly more climbing that Argus, so it is a "hillier" ride with more challenging climbs.

The 2 longest climbs, from the klein Jukskei to top of Homestead and also  Jan Smuts (Conrad to St Andrews) are both longer than Chapmans and the steep climbs are steeper than Suikerbossie, albeit not as long.

Also, there is zero flat, nothing like Lakeside to Simonstown or past Misty Cliffs where you can recover in a pack. You are either going up, often steeply,  or down, fast with no time to recover.

Most importantly, it is at 1700m, not sea level.

Edited by eddy

For me, the new route was harder, but statistically speaking, it's very similar.

post-41865-0-02246900-1542637380_thumb.png

2016      2017      2018        
                   Mean:  04:16:59  04:24:45  04:16:19
Mode (grouping of 5min):  03:50:00  03:40:00  03:50:00
               Variance:  00:03:22  00:03:45  00:02:46
Edited by GaryvdM

For me, the new route was harder, but statistically speaking, it's very similar.

attachicon.gif947_Cyclechallange_Bell.png

2016      2017      2018

Mean:  04:16:59  04:24:45  04:16:19
Mode (grouping of 5min):  03:50:00  03:40:00  03:50:00
               Variance:  00:03:22  00:03:45  00:02:46

Nice!

The mode makes my time feel less special.... :P

It seems participation has been on the decline over this period, do you think that would skew 2018 to the left?  Also, what's the effect of the "Heat Plan"?  Did those late finishers receive Racetec finish times despite riding a significantly shorter route? (might explain the tighter variance)

Edited by thisismyotherbike

Nice!

The mode makes my time feel less special.... :P

It seems participation has been on the decline over this period, do you think that would skew 2018 to the left?  Also, what's the effect of the "Heat Plan"?  Did those late finishers receive Racetec finish times despite riding a significantly shorter route? (might explain the tighter variance)

thats a good point, how have they adjusted figures for those that did the shorter route ?

Iat 1325m (on my Garmin) significantly more climbing that Argus, so it is a "hillier" ride with more challenging climbs.

My Edge 1030 recorded 1494 and the official number is 1495. So I reckon 1495 it is. How much ascent in the Argus?

Thanks for that. Looking at that and the profile, it doesn't look too bad. I reckon if you can manage the 94.7, you should be able to manage that…?

This was my post in another thread from 11 October:

2:26 was the Carnival City Macsteel National Classic - they did 2:25:56

2:14 for the 947 - 2:15:26 for yesterday's winner.

If you did the CCMNC, how did your time compare between these two events?

CCMNC 2:54:52

94.7 2:50:37

94.7 felt a lot harder though. I think BL at CCMNC took it a bit easy because half the bunch was basically together for a huge group sprint at the finish (top 45 people finished within 1 minute of each other).