Reversed Route 94.7 2018

mercurystorm

Same here although I did get the finish time SMS. (Group L, can't be only 23 riders?)

I also cant find my result. Seems to also be a problem with B Batch. No ways only 175 riders finished from B batch.   

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never thought that I will see an e bike on the wheel of a road bike. Yesterday I did on the m1, guess his battery got flat. Couple of minutes later he got dropped.

Just a bit of rant, IMO, there very many inspirational riders out there yesterday all shapes and sizes and some with disabilities, how can one possibly enjoy the race riding with your e bike ?

On a lighter note, enjoyed the route. Hope the route stays the same for next year.

Two guys cruised past me on ebikes, having a chat, on that last big climb after Kyalami. I wondered to myself if they would share my sense of accomplishment after the race.

I also cant find my result. Seems to also be a problem with B Batch. No ways only 175 riders finished from B batch.

Ditto ,I thought the same thing. Have sent them a mail .

First 94.7 

Did not ride Kyalami, got there just after 1pm. Glad I didn't. It would have added another hour on to my time.

Had a total of 3 hours training ( I think) for this ride. So I'm not phased about time. 

Prolly will not do it again. Managed to not cramp, which is great, given my lack of fitness, and 1 x 10 mtb gearing. Chowed rennies, ate every hour, and drank mainly water with 2 glasses of coke at the water points. Managed to only spend a total of 8 mins at all the water tables.

If I ever decide to do a road race again, it will be CTC or Shova... at least there's scenery to look at, that I don't see every day in my travels.

Edit:

It was K@kwarm.

Edited by RocknRolla

Was my first 947 race and I absolutely enjoyed it.

I started in G and forced myself to hold back as the last few rides I have been cramping badly and its been ruining my rides so i made sure i held back and well and behold as i entered the last water point on the M1 my right inner quad told me TGFM :( so i nursed it to kyalami where once again booom I cramped, the slomag lady massaged me and put an icepack on which took the pain away, another wonderful gentleman and his son on a tandem gave me some cramp ease tabs to take.

The climbs back I had to grind up all the hills, if i spun my legs it started to cramp so yeah i was a bit gutted as i was pacing so nicely. The last 4km was absolute bliss to the line.

As per racetec i finished with a 3h20. Hope to crack that Sub three next year :)

This question pops up quite often... so here is the answer below. Must say I was impressed when all the traffic controllers were still in place on the way home in the afternoon to get the riders all the way to the highway as quick as possible... it's the small little things that really add value to the day.

[WHERE DOES YOUR ENTRY FEE GO] 
Your Entry Fee into the 2018 Telkom 947 Cycle Challenge is R504.50 (breakdown: R438.69 + R65.80 VAT) incl. CSA rider levy of R10.00 (R8.69 + R1.31 VAT) - this goes some way to cover the actual cost of putting each cyclist on the road:
• Registration process, dedicated online entry system and year-round Race Office to service your Cycle Challenge needs and queries
• Hire of the Ticketpro Dome for Race number collection and queries, 90 temp staff to facilitate this process
• 11km of fencing to keep the roads on the route closed and safe 
• 3600 straw bales to keep the roads on the route closed, delivered placed and removed 
• 4400 orange cones to close the route one block away from the route, delivered, placed and removed
• 350 marshals – who need to be transported and dropped off at their points from 03:00 and picked up from 15:00 until 18:00
• 500 JMPD Traffic Officers, provided with two meals and hydration
• 2000 traffic advisories erected and removed 
• 400toilets at the start/route/finish and 60 janitors to keep them clean
• 40 hand wash basins in the venue and staff to monitor
• 450 security staff on route and at the venue
• 200 medical staff on route and at the finish
• 170 Physio and Chiro students and 12 qualified Physio’s and Chiro’s on route and at the finish 
• 120 Start Marshals - Start Team 
• 120 Finish Marshals - Finish Team 
• 40 Joburg Roads Agency staff to place and pick up the cones and road closure signage
• 60 Traffic Free Flow officers to direct traffic
• 45 Off Road Rescue Units who patrol the route, send communications to the Joint Operations Centre and sweep cyclists abandoning their ride
• 40 Think Bikes patrolling the route and troubleshooting
• 10 Undercover units
• 30 Sweep Vehicles with trailers, drivers and navigators
• 20 Megabus buses to assist with the sweep with drivers and route leaders.
• 20 bakkies to transport the 100 casual staff who physically place the fencing and bales in the intersections to effect road closure, from 00h00 – 06h00
• 10 Water points with Powerade, water, ice, toilets, rubbish bins and 50 support staff per point 
• Generators - providing power for lights; sound; catering at the Start and Venue 
• Route cleaning – 4 days of mechanical sweeps sweeping and vacuuming the immense waste on the roads of the route 
• Recycling of waste.
• Feeding and watering of all the staff mentioned above (4000 meals )
• Race number and race pack (and pins)
• Commemorative Medal at the finish
• Ice cold beverages and water at the finish
• 1000’s of manhours in meetings, planning, creation of documentation to prepping for the event – in line with the Safety and Security at Events act of 2010 (10 months of the year), JOC processes and presentations applying for permissions and in adherence to the legislation pertaining to mass participation events and gatherings and producing a world-class cycling event that shuts down the City of Joburg for 12 hours
• Ride for a Purpose management
• Digital Race Brochure
• We allow for 450 discretionary entries to previously disadvantaged communities, the physically disabled cyclists, mentally disabled cyclists, blind cyclists.

Excellent hot day out and agree that reversed route is more enjoyable.

Starting in double alphabet letters is no fun and couldn't get any groups to hang on.

Wonder how far some of those riders got that started pushing on the first hills going up Cedar road? You still need to give some respect to the race.

Hope the rider that took what seemed to be a hard fall in Steyn City recovers.

Water points were a blessing and made good use of them.

Thanks to the mechanic at 2nd last water point that assisted my son in getting his derailleur sorted out (after he was taken out by someone chasing position 8000+). This "adult" almost messed up the day for a 15 year old doing his first one.

Looking forward to next year's ride.

A number or riders in groups still need to be added,  last year recorded finishers 19992, this year 17236

Did a casual ride with my mate, decided we weren't going to race it this year. Even stopped for a brekkie just before the Nelson Mandela bridge. Was a fun day out, taking in the gees again and all that. Finished somewhere around 4.5 hours.

I am however dreading this route at race pace. It's going to be tough!

Anyone in VA that can explain why the batch's time are on average slower than VB and VC?

Race tactics was different.

Early Breaks in VB and VC, Constant pace breaking down the bunch in VA.

A number or riders in groups still need to be added,  last year recorded finishers 19992, this year 17236

Looks like the are posting results intermitently

Race tactics was different.

Early Breaks in VB and VC, Constant pace breaking down the bunch in VA.

This. Cat and mouse tactics in VA slowed the pace down in the first half. Main break only got away on the halway climb. By then the break of VB and VC was established and going fast with their respective bunches chasing hard. In the end VA VB and VC bunches were mixed with a few tandems. Was chaotic to say the least.

Anyone in VA that can explain why the batch's time are on average slower than VB and VC?

yep.

its racing. the other point i will put right at the bottom of this post.

keep in mind we are not riding for time but for position.

the first 30km we were either going 300% or 50%. bleeding or dawdling. i can only comment on the first 30km because that is when i lost touch with the front group of VA.

this takes the sting out a legs and shells tons of riders who cannot maintain the intensity.

2nd reason.

i suspect the really good the 30+ riders (Nolan Hoffman) rode with the elites.

Edited by Furbz