All things Team Qhubeka NextHash

Eldron

5 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

can't read behind the paywall, but

You've got johann rupert, the oppenheimers, motsepe, koos bekker.

I guess through MTN Bekker could have been involved, but I doubt the others would play.

I skimmed through this, not much was said of future

Althouth they do have aTour of Britain invite

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

Can't say I agree. The team had an outstanding start and produced a successful number of seasons, unfortunately the latter seasons left much to be desired. That is professional sport, and life really, can't be at the top all of the time everytime. It's unfortunate that as they were getting back on their feet they were dealt blows by both the pandemic and a dodgy sponsorship deal.
The fact is that in a short time frame, 7 years is short. They put a number of African riders into the WT peloton and opened doors for many others in other job roles. 
Then there's been the backup that's often been quietly provided behind the scenes without fanfare/acknowledgment, que support cars for one of the world champs.
Sure, Ryder may not be everyone's type and the hype train not without reproach by a long shot. But if the 'only' upside is a good few people getting employment, then that's a win on it's own. 

Love him or hate him, one has to respect the tenacity and passion. Personally feel we would do well to have more of that than the **** talking a few others show.

True, their start was a dream, exceptional!! 

But in the spirit of continuous improvement, which is expected of any business organisation, they missed the boat.  I have got no opinion on Doug, positive or negative, I tried to look at this from a business results perspective, and getting the best out of your people.  Top talent come in, fails to deliver, and then delivers again elsewhere?  Just seems odd. 

BTW, Jumbo Visa has a interesting vid on the team failure and successes in the '21 Tour. (YTube)  I was actually fascinated to see how "business like" they are running their athletes/team in the drive for results.  Sure they created the vid themselves, but I was quite impressed with the team management.   

6 hours ago, jcza said:

Not sure a new team will do any better than the old team. Take away Cavendish results and the team doesn't have much to show. Will be relegation fodder. 

Bring that money to SA and spend it on local development instead of providing a lifeline for some euro hasbeens. 

This statement is so ice cold I turned on the heater. 

But as the saying goes, the truth hurts. And this is it right here. 

I have spent 5 weeks in Europe recently .It is competitive ,people work hard and everybody chips in to make it work .BEE has NO status there and they will hardly notice Qhubeka for more than a second .In fact i think sponsors shy away from it ,especially the way the migrant crisis is developing over there .They don,t want to be associated with anything not done on merit alone .There are hundreds of exciting young cyclists that want to make their mark .If your team goes over there and kicks some ass the old fashion way  ,you will be noticed !and attract sponsors also

Edited by eala

11 hours ago, eala said:

I have spent 5 weeks in Europe recently .It is competitive ,people work hard and everybody chips in to make it work .BEE has NO status there and they will hardly notice Qhubeka for more than a second .In fact i think sponsors shy away from it ,especially the way the migrant crisis is developing over there .They don,t want to be associated with anything not done on merit alone .There are hundreds of exciting young cyclists that want to make their mark .If your team goes over there and kicks some ass the old fashion way  ,you will be noticed !and attract sponsors also

Snap.  We did a fairly extensive road trip, visiting less touristy places, so saw the locals in action. I was again so impressed with the place. EVERYONE works hard, EVERYONE, works to a high standard. Nobody is just standing around. Refreshing.

would be interesting trying to be "Africa's team" again with IWG currently performing with African riders.

19 hours ago, jcza said:

Rumour is that backer is Glasenberg, ex Glencore.... 

interesting move as it would really be philanthropy, and he has been very media shy in the past.

on paper he is worth about $5b or in R85 000 000 000, so throwing something like R50 000 000 each year is not going to make a dent. Would be even less as a continental squad to start.

Glasenberg said he had plenty to keep him busy in retirement, although Glencore would never be far from his thoughts.

One project he is particularly passionate about is the athletics school he has established in South Africa — one of many schools he has funded around the world.

Other plans include developing Italian sportswear company Q36.5 in which he is an investor, working on his fitness with a view to entering an iron man competition and establishing a farm in Lithuania where his father was born.

As for commodities, Glasenberg’s “involvement” will be strictly limited to his 9 per cent stake in Glencore, which he plans to retain.

“I will keep an eye on the company,” he said, “given the size of my investment”.

https://www.expatica.com/ch/environment/sw-glencore-life-after-ivan-glasenberg-215995/

4 hours ago, Shebeen said:

would be interesting trying to be "Africa's team" again with IWG currently performing with African riders.

interesting move as it would really be philanthropy, and he has been very media shy in the past.

on paper he is worth about $5b or in R85 000 000 000, so throwing something like R50 000 000 each year is not going to make a dent. Would be even less as a continental squad to start.

https://www.expatica.com/ch/environment/sw-glencore-life-after-ivan-glasenberg-215995/

Glasenberg is no fool and wants results. so if this is true I wonder how Doug will fit into the picture….

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Knowing a few of the Glencore types ( There HQ is just down the road from us) I would be pleasantly surprised if he spent that amount out of his own pocket, perhaps he has other contacts from the business world who would also participate.  

5 minutes ago, SwissVan said:

Knowing a few of the Glencore types ( There HQ is just down the road from us) I would be pleasantly surprised if he spent that amount out of his own pocket, perhaps he has other contacts from the business world who would also participate.  

Aaah so you’re in Baar?

7 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Glasenberg is no fool and wants results. so if this is true I wonder how Doug will fit into the picture….

This threa is so painfully true am considering not following 😭

6 hours ago, SwissVan said:

Glasenberg isnt one to sponsor for vibes. would be surprised...

15 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

This threa is so painfully true am considering not following 😭

Glasenberg isnt one to sponsor for vibes. would be surprised...

I agree

That being said, Glencore themselves have in the past and still do sponsor various sporting events in our area including an annual standard distance triathlon and time trail (running, walking, cycling) series.

Screenshot 2022-08-04 134428.jpg

On 8/3/2022 at 2:33 PM, DieselnDust said:

I also think Doug might have burned some bridges by publicly moaning how they felt they got 'dropped' by NTT/DD. No matter how it actually happened it's not enticing for new sponsors to see how old ones are treated badly.