Rain jacket opinions

lechatnoir

I am looking for a rain jacket to keep the rain off, but not one that lets me sit in a mobile sauna.

any recommendations? TxT

then buy something "rain resistant" and not "water proof "

all the expensive stories about space age breathable material is bullsh*t unless you buying the real top of the line pro kit stuff (think Gabba 2 etc )

the lower end water proof ( so called breathables) are like wearing a bin liner (wetter on the inside)

i have a lite packable water resistant and a good wicking long jersey (castelli- worth the money)- you are warm and you dry faster :thumbup:

#my2cents

Sportsworld advertised some sleeveless gilets on sale for a good price.  I have an Anatomic one that is ideal for our highveld showers and winter rides.  If you get too warm just drop the zip.  Arm and leg warmers complete the kit.  My hate is sodden socks in shoes that you know will take a few days to dry!  When I turn pro my first demand will be water resistant shoes. 

Is it for MTB or Road riding? If it was for road then the Gabba is pretty much the best of the best and you can get it for a very good price if you shop around online. It is worth every penny.

Does it need to be packable into a jersey or a back pack?

I've got one of these and they are great. Gore-Tex is the way forward for proper rain, snow boarding, standing in the shower and more. Don't use it that much but when I do I'm super grateful and it's going to last a long time. It really is the best of the best. It's also on special at a few places at the moment for 50% off. 

https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/clothing/jackets/product/gore-power-trail-gt-active-review-51807/

Edited by Yo-yo

The first ascent X-trail rain jacket is a solid option, Mine was good for 20 odd hours in the rain at karkloof 100 miler, done many other AR events, not the warmest jacket but keeps you dry and folds up super small

https://www.endurasport.com/product/fs260-pro-adrenaline-race-cape-ii/

This. 

We are able to get these in for you. Black or translucent. I have found the micro weave textured rain jackets the best at breathability while remaining waterproof. The apple jacket is for in case it starts raining an you're headed home. The endurance jacket is for a proper rain ride.

Those really look the business. Great waterprood and breathability ratings. Can you give me an idea of price and timeframes?

Sportsworld advertised some sleeveless gilets on sale for a good price.  I have an Anatomic one that is ideal for our highveld showers and winter rides.  If you get too warm just drop the zip.  Arm and leg warmers complete the kit.  My hate is sodden socks in shoes that you know will take a few days to dry!  When I turn pro my first demand will be water resistant shoes. 

Also have the Anatomic gilet and the neon yellow jacket with sleeves. My only gripe is a lack of reflective material (which I fixed myself....well...the ex did anyway...was to stitch a length of reflective tape down the back).

Had those 2 jackets for 5 years odd and no issues, good value for money.

Edited by Mojoman

Those really look the business. Great waterprood and breathability ratings. Can you give me an idea of price and timeframes?

+1 how much are those? 

+1 for the Gabba, or the Perfetto as it's called now. While not completely waterproof, it keeps you dry in most conditions, and warm in all conditions. As stated above, worth every penny

https://www.endurasport.com/product/fs260-pro-adrenaline-race-cape-ii/

This. 

We are able to get these in for you. Black or translucent. I have found the micro weave textured rain jackets the best at breathability while remaining waterproof. The apple jacket is for in case it starts raining an you're headed home. The endurance jacket is for a proper rain ride.

Checked the BM site; no product listed. Can the price be provided?