Typical! Welcome to sunny South Africa

Vetseun

That is really sad, and just the kind of press South Africa needs the international view on South Africa as well

Could be retitled 'Typical, welcome to Sunny SA where people are constantly looking for another negative story'. Just as well the guy isn't in Australia as they mow down and kill long distance cyclists there or in London this weekend as they beat you with bottles and attack you 4 on one to nick your bike or door you on a regular basis. 

Edited by Yo-yo

on the one hand....getting your bike stolen really sucks.

having it happen whilst you're at worship is a kick in the nuts.

BUT. it's not like bike theft i a unique south african crime. I can imagine a dutch guy reading this article, and going, [sound like you're eating stroopwafels] wow it took 22 000km before his bike was stolen, I should go ride in Africa! [/sound like you're eating stroopwafels]

We helped someone get to world track champs - why don't we hubfund this guy?

Just imagine the hub managed to locate this guys bike and as a result he gets it back

Now that would be a positive spin for SA

Just imagine the hub managed to locate this guys bike and as a result he gets it back

Now that would be a positive spin for SA

Anyone seen pics of the bike? It has to be pretty unique....

Perhaps thehub massif in SA could spread the word?

I can confirm ( without eating stroopwafels ) that getting bikes stolen here is part of normal life. There was a recent article in the newspaper that said if you live in Amsterdam your chances of having a bike stolen is exactly 100%. That's why I keep my nice bikes under lock and key and I have a banger to ride around on.

on the one hand....getting your bike stolen really sucks.

having it happen whilst you're at worship is a kick in the nuts.

BUT. it's not like bike theft i a unique south african crime. I can imagine a dutch guy reading this article, and going, [sound like you're eating stroopwafels] wow it took 22 000km before his bike was stolen, I should go ride in Africa! [/sound like you're eating stroopwafels]

I can confirm ( without eating stroopwafels ) that getting bikes stolen here is part of normal life. There was a recent article in the newspaper that said if you live in Amsterdam your chances of having a bike stolen is exactly 100%. That's why I keep my nice bikes under lock and key and I have a banger to ride around on.

In Hilversum we have mobile electronic billboards warning about bike thieves being active in the area. Its such a prevalent crime that the Dutch almost seem numb to it by now.

In Hilversum we have mobile electronic billboards warning about bike thieves being active in the area. Its such a prevalent crime that the Dutch almost seem numb to it by now.

How dare you come to this discussion with evidence that South Africa isn't as bad as some people say it is? The whole point of this post was for the negative people to lay into SA like the grass is greener everywhere else. 

On a serious note, when you read overseas websites, such as Road.cc, you really do come to the conclusion that South Africa isn't really any different to the rest of the world. The grass isn't really greener, it's just a different colour. . .

So .... how many people get robbed at gunpoint or stabbed for their bikes?  #JustWondering.