Storing bikes vertically - potential issues with suspension fork?

Grease_Monkey

So I've reorganised the garage a bit to make space for a workbench - and the easiest way was to store the bikes vertically on the wall; ie: back wheel on the ground, front wheel on a hook, with both wheels against the wall.

So one of the issues that came up was that I had spongy front brakes overnight because the calipers are higher than the lever - I expexted this with the one bike which needs a bleed, but strangely it also happened to the other bike with very well bled brakes - anyway, I guess they need a bleed as well.

What I do wanna know, is if there are any potential issues with suspension forks being stored like this? The axle is slightly higher than the crown of the fork, so oil will gravitate naturally to the seals. I can't imagine there would be any issues, but I just wanna make sure because I'm not really keen for any surprises. Anything I should look out for?

There is a Fox 34, MRP Ribbon, and a Fox 32.

post-82251-0-14608800-1530423424_thumb.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been told that I should store my DH bike upside down to keep the seals moist.

I guess that makes sense. Obviously upside down gets the entire seal moist, I'm guessing this will only get half the seal moist, but that's still better than if the bike was stored upright...

Dunno. Also. Regarding spongy brakes. When we went to Morz the bikes would get stored vertically. The codes and saints would sponge up. Without fail. You can bleed them till the world is out of oil. That happened. But there might have been other factors at play such as a long flight. Altitude. Etc

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I've stored my bikes vertically for years and had no brake or suspension issues.

... oil will gravitate naturally to the seals. I can't imagine there would be any issues,

You said it yourself already. Oil to seals = good!

Regarding the brakes, when you take the bike off the wall pump the brakes a couple of times, they should return to normal after a few pulls.

I might have misread / heard from someone that there was a difference of opinion depending if you have rockshox vs fox shocks, so which is which I am not sure. 

I have also been storing my bikes vertically as it is the most efficient use of space

So I've reorganised the garage a bit to make space for a workbench - and the easiest way was to store the bikes vertically on the wall; ie: back wheel on the ground, front wheel on a hook, with both wheels against the wall.

So one of the issues that came up was that I had spongy front brakes overnight because the calipers are higher than the lever - I expexted this with the one bike which needs a bleed, but strangely it also happened to the other bike with very well bled brakes - anyway, I guess they need a bleed as well.

What I do wanna know, is if there are any potential issues with suspension forks being stored like this? The axle is slightly higher than the crown of the fork, so oil will gravitate naturally to the seals. I can't imagine there would be any issues, but I just wanna make sure because I'm not really keen for any surprises. Anything I should look out for?

store them like that , suspension won't be hurt in anyway  :thumbup:

Btw I store our road bikes vertically and zero brake fade and no suspension issues. Go figure.

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

I guess that makes sense. Obviously upside down gets the entire seal moist, I'm guessing this will only get half the seal moist, but that's still better than if the bike was stored upright...

No, the foam in the seals will wick the oil anyway, so it will get fully saturated even though half of it is in the oil.

if the room you store the bikes in are warm, you might find some seepage pooling on the floor. My old trail bike is hung like yours, front wheel up, and during summer, i noted some suspension oil on the floor below the bike. maybe it was a sign I needed to service that Pike, but i had no suspension performance or leakage issues while riding the bike.

NB! point i forgot to highlight: the oil seepage occurred on the air spring side. I run fairly high air spring pressures,so perhaps that was the real driver given the heat I mentioned previously. Suggestion: depressurize the air spring before storing for long periods of time.

Edited by Capricorn