[Event] The Durbie Dash

Ernst Viljoen

Yes they had George Perrons in the break with us.

Yeah, looked on racetec and didn’t see anyone from the team so wondered

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, looked on racetec and didn’t see anyone from the team so wondered

Saw you at the loo before the start, trying to get rid of those last few grams??

Also, what was the syringe in your pocket for?? Lol

What Happened to the Bunches today???

We, a group of five Guys Rode off the front from Our Group ©.

I finished 5th in ©.

Down the road we caught (B) and later (A) riders.

Nobody managed to hold on to a Wheel.

'IF' I had ridden with (B), I would have got 13/14th.

Same with (A), I would have got 58/59th position.

Yeah there no real bunches to speak of behind %, looking at the times on racetec. I was one of those 5 with you in batch CL - tall guy in the red duvel top, really struggled to get anyone to help do the work. Last 15km was kaak. Every group we past, it looked so tempting to just go hide away for a bit haha. Eventually 3 of us finished together.

Time to get my seeding sorted out...

Forgot to mention, the wind was extremely helpful up that last murderous climb at Hooggelegen, they mockingly say it's only 10km to go at the waterpoint below it...

Oh, the waterpoints seemed very well stocked, I managed to make it to the last one before I ran out of water and they were quick to fill me up with Powerade with some of them yummy fancy Italian chocolates on hand, I think it is pronounced "Baróné" ? 

My only gripe, again, is the few places where I had to stop because people with cleats could not ride a section. As I said before on trails like these you are better off with flat pedals and the extra agility they offer. Especially that section of grass between the vineyards at the start and the one bit where you ride up over the rock on Cobra going down. Also a few of the hairpins in the climbs. But ja, no one listens to me whine anyway...  :whistling: 

Obviously I will be back next year  :drool:

Yeah there no real bunches to speak of behind %, looking at the times on racetec. I was one of those 5 with you in batch CL - tall guy in the red duvel top, really struggled to get anyone to help do the work. Last 15km was kaak. Every group we past, it looked so tempting to just go hide away for a bit haha. Eventually 3 of us finished together.

Time to get my seeding sorted out...

Well Done on your time.

Busy loading clips

At 1st reading all the bikehub posts, I thought you were just an urban legend, I thought there is no way that the things you do are possible. Then I saw a post from Savage last week saying he rode with you and I had hope, Today, I met the man, the legend himself Mr Frail. I was the B rider you caught just as we turned to Windmeul who had jumped away from the bunch(Black and Yellow Scott Foil). Then you rode away on the climbs and I caught up again and then rode away myself, I'd say today I did a proper race, I did about a 60km solo TT as I was always just catching a group and riding off, then catching a group and riding away again with nobody wanting to really help out.. At 75kms I decided to go away from the bunch again and ended up doing the last 15km solo into a a proper headwind and some very eina crosswinds, had me leaning over making me feel like I was on the track LOL..

Anyway I finished 8th in the B bunch(Never saw the breakaway go).

Pretty happy considering majority of the race was solo...

Frail, was awesome meeting you man and having a lekker chat, you're a proper gent!!

Ps, DM me if you looking for cycling shoes and you're a UK8, I saw you riding in trekkies LoL...

Hello Footballing Cyclist 

Thanks for kind words.

Sorry i need a 9.

Good Morning everyone, hope everyone's legs are good this Monday.

Does anyone know where the pics of the 90km finishes are?

I never even saw a photographer LOL

Mini Race Report

First time doing the Durbie Dash (90km). Luckily it was close by and I could ride from my home to the venue as a warm-up. Was still dark, so I rode with my lights and with it during the race (not the end of the world as the weight isn't so heavy).

My first impressions on the groups were: "Wow, this is massive groups!"

Started in A and the pace was quite fast from the start. I worked my way to the front where I followed two guys. While going on Klipheuwel Rd, I forgot that we were going to turn right on the R312 as I was riding up front. I kid you not I did a late turn to the right going at 35kph (was quite impressed with my Gators grip!). Honestly, thought I am going to wash out there, was a close call.

Halfway on the R312 and I got dropped (please keep in mind my seeding in the PPA is H as this is my second time racing). So I am not used to that pacing as yet, and of course the wind was knocking me all over the place as I only weigh 62kg.

Fortunately, two riders (one on Silverback Space with an orange POC helmet and the other I cannot recall the brand of the bike) come to save me. We worked together nicely.

Everything was going great! My average speed up to the 80km mark was 33kph and I was confident that I was going to achieve a good time... 

Sadly with 10km remaining, I got a very sore pain in my lower back on the right-hand side. So sore in fact, I wanted to start walking. The pain was unbearable and if I can rate it, it is 9/10. I dropped again out of the group and the wind was killing me. A group of riders from the B group even passed me. But what can one do, it is out of your hands, unfortunately.

Official time of 2:58:57.

So my hypothesis is that I pulled a muscle due to my posture because I was leaning more towards the right because of the heavy winds.

Disappointed because I knew I could have got a better time. But oh well, next time!

Edited by Andrew_Smith

Afaik there are no photos of the road race. Brakkies Sport Photos have photos of the mtb on their FB page

Organisers didn't do me any favours seeding me in $. Clearly didn't belong there, only lasted 15min before I was spat out at the back. Was much nicer riding with the % okes for the rest of the race  :P

Wind was brutal, I think even in % bunch only about a 1/3rd of the group managed to stick with the bunch until the end (with a few $ stragglers). First time ever I've seen a group in a D'ville PPA race ascending that last little climb before D'Urbanvale finish line so slowly, everyone was spent..

And what was up with all the EL riders in $ and %? Looked like development riders from other African countries? Observed a few dodgy maneuvers from these okes! Maybe they thought EL stands for Elite so they have to start at the front... 

Organisers didn't do me any favours seeding me in $. Clearly didn't belong there, only lasted 15min before I was spat out at the back. Was much nicer riding with the % okes for the rest of the race  :P

Wind was brutal, I think even in % bunch only about a 1/3rd of the group managed to stick with the bunch until the end (with a few $ stragglers). First time ever I've seen a group in a D'ville PPA race ascending that last little climb before D'Urbanvale finish line so slowly, everyone was spent..

And what was up with all the EL riders in $ and %? Looked like development riders from other African countries? Observed a few dodgy maneuvers from these okes! Maybe they thought EL stands for Elite so they have to start at the front... 

Not all of them lasted in the front with their 58kg frames :P