SRAM GX or Shimano XT?

Rock Guy

Which 1X option?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which 1X option would you choose?

• SRAM GX Eagle
    • Shimano XT M8000

I didn't want an XD Driver, so I put on the Sunrace 11-50 cassette..... with Sram NX derailleur... and a 34 oval upfront. The Shifter I put on is Sram GX. Took some tinkering at home to get the shifting right, but now it works well. It is my first time with Sram and I am happy, but kinda feel that next time I may go back to Shimano....

I am a Shimano guy, but am envious of the 50t on the Eagle, so if I was going for a new drivetrain I would go XT with Sunrace 11-50 cassette and a 34t chainring. I wouldn't need an XD driver and I get to use the I-Spec II feature on my XT brakes

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's definitely an option to go the GX Eagle + Sunrace cassette route. Sounds like the GX cassette is the source of the shifting issues. I wonder if the Sunrace cassette would be better though?

Don't think I'll do the e13 conversion. My current 11speed derailleur has seen better days and probably wont won't survive my next attempt to do some landscaping with my face.

The sunrace cassette is 100% - lots of guys here have used it with no issues.

Yup, e13 is not a clever route to go if your mech is worn out.

It's a bit strange, but the heirarchies are slightly different. XX1 is top SRAM, but "above" XTR. 

XTR fits somewhere between XX1 & X01. So GX is more or less on the same level as XT. 

Your car analogy is slightly out, though. It's like buying a 220i or an a3 1.8tfsi. 

Sorry I think  you got it slightly wrong.

XX1 (EAGLE) = XTR Race

XO1 (EAGLE) = XTR TRAIL

X1 = XT

GX = SLX

With the 12 speed stuff its still largely the same except that X1 has been replaced with GX EAGLE and NX moves in to challenge SLX.

FWIW, could the people experiencing shifting issues with GX EAGLE please post what bike this is fitted to and what are the shifting issues specifically.

Edited by DieselnDust

XX1 (EAGLE) = XTR Race

XO1 (EAGLE) = XTR TRAIL

X1 = XT

GX = SLX

With the 12 speed stuff its still largely the same except that X1 has been replaced with GX EAGLE and NX moves in to challenge SLX.

FWIW, could the people experiencing shifting issues with GX EAGLE please post what bike this is fitted to and what are the shifting issues specifically.

Bugger. Forgot about X1, but as you say with the 12sp it's not there anymore. 

I like both XT and GX for different reasons. I think XT looks better and is possibly better made. Its also less bulky. Shimano shifting into easier gears is on the heavier side. i prefer GX for this. On the other side, the shifting into faster gears is better and quicker with the multiple upshifts you get on XT et al. I also rather like the SRAM clutch disengagement system over the Shimano one. They are both good. Don't fret about which one. Buy the cheapest version which I suspect is Shimano.

Bugger. Forgot about X1, but as you say with the 12sp it's not there anymore.

But technically,..... Shimano doesn't have 12 speed yet. At least until mid September

For me the beauty of SRAM is the 10 tooth cog which allows you to run a small i.e. 32 tooth chainring and have almost the same top end as someone running a 36 tooth chainring with a 11 tooth cog.  Throw in the 50 tooth granny gear of the Eagle cassette and you've got top end and enough gears to climb up pretty much anything.

Yes GX Eagle does not shift as criply and quietly as XX1 but at the price is it really fair to expect it to?

The SRAM 1 x 12 with 10-50 cassette gives you almost exactly the same range as a 2 x10 with a 24/38 chain ring and a 11-40 wide range cassette. Hard to ask for more.

XX1 (EAGLE) = XTR Race

XO1 (EAGLE) = XTR TRAIL

X1 = XT

GX = SLX

Quality wise I would rather compare NX to Deore.

For me the beauty of SRAM is the 10 tooth cog which allows you to run a small i.e. 32 tooth chainring and have almost the same top end as someone running a 36 tooth chainring with a 11 tooth cog.  Throw in the 50 tooth granny gear of the Eagle cassette and you've got top end and enough gears to climb up pretty much anything.

Yes GX Eagle does not shift as criply and quietly as XX1 but at the price is it really fair to expect it to?

Agreed and if you want better shifting fit a XO1 Eagle XG-1295 cassette. it will outlast the GX too.

For me the beauty of SRAM is the 10 tooth cog which allows you to run a small i.e. 32 tooth chainring and have almost the same top end as someone running a 36 tooth chainring with a 11 tooth cog. Throw in the 50 tooth granny gear of the Eagle cassette and you've got top end and enough gears to climb up pretty much anything.

That last part exactly!

You get what you pay for, GX is the cheaper SRAM drivetrain so you get cheaper shifting than the more expensive XO/XX components.

XT is one of the better Shimano drivetrains so you get better (in terms of Shimano) shifting.

Just because they cost the same doesn't put them in the same class.

Apple's with apples........

just, whatever you do, go for the Sunrace cassette. Far superior to Shimano, and fits standard hub freebodies. 

+1

In my MTB days, I only used SunRace cassettes. Far cheaper than the Shimano equivalent and gave me good mileage with no issues.

• 4 years later...

Had a GX Eagle RD. Was finicky since day one. B limit screw was a hassle to get dialed in.

Last week I got a stick into the RD and it was now way off. 

Bought a SLX 12 speed RD on the GX shifter and now it works much better than the original GX Eagle RD. Setup was easy and it just works out of the box. At R1,400 less than a GX I couldn’t be happier. 

From my experience, for the best value for a performance setup

Brakes: Formula

Suspension: Rockshox

Cranks: XTR or Raceface (or equivalent to avoid a SRAM bb)

All other parts Shimano and/or Shimano compatible cassette.

I prefer Formula brakes over Shimano and SRAM. To me it has always seemed that SRAM is more pricey and more prone to issues than other brands (except for Rockshox which I think is not originally a SRAM company).

From my experience, for the best value for a performance setup

Brakes: Formula

Suspension: Rockshox

Cranks: XTR or Raceface (or equivalent to avoid a SRAM bb)

All other parts Shimano and/or Shimano compatible cassette.

I prefer Formula brakes over Shimano and SRAM. To me it has always seemed that SRAM is more pricey and more prone to issues than other brands (except for Rockshox which I think is not originally a SRAM company).

Edit: And I do not like the vertical play Shimano pedals, avoid it like the plague! I use Look pedals which is far superior to Shimano pedals.

Ok ill play.

have a GX AXS setup on my new bike and shimano mechanical on everything else (XT, GRX812…and 600 tri color on my vintage)

Im still not convinced😅. I was actually contemplating putting it on here for a direct swop for something mechanical of similar value.

Ive said this in the past and I maintain that GX has nothing on XT, probably not even SLX. Even AXS compared to mechanical.
Im not talking about how long cassettes last or weight or looks (Sram has those covered pretty well). Im talking about shift action, feel, general everyday usage.

It works fine i guess. Shifting is crisp although not as quick. And then the fact that i have to charge something on my bike that fundamentally impacts whether or not i can use it on a whim….meh.
SRAM also still cant make a decent shifter even if it’s electronic = no need to feel any certain way mechanically.

The ergonomics/tactility/act of using it is plain ****. They need a better industrial designer with experience of designing things that people hold in their hands and stop being such engineers. Touch points are as important.
The new sram B-screw gap tool and how you use it is pretty neat though. You don't even have to know how to set up a rear mech and you’ll have pretty good shifting…if you prefer not to ever learn anything and pay someone to do it. 
Kind of made me wonder what all the ‘sram 12spd crap shifting threads’ have been about over the years. They are just as easy to setup and get right as shimano. The theory is the same, application just different. 

the 10 tooth cog on the cassette is now a non event, shimano 12spd has those too. My gripe with them is on certain frames/ring combos you can have interference issues on the chain stays since the chain gets so close to the dropout area. Also, smaller cogs go crap quicker.  

all in all i’ll use it for now, it’s on there and it works. Will i buy it again. Probably not.

edit: what i will ad though is in this country with its useless Shimano distributor, you are probably better off buying SRAM products for now 

Edited by MORNE