Cyclist shot at cradle...

sunchaser

To collect the money for security could actually be very simple. If all businesses in the Cradle that offer parking charge an extra R10 or R20 per person that go towards a joint security fund to secures the area at certain times, that could cover quite a bit.

Most of us are happy to pay for parking so all of us should be happy to pay for security.

I`d really love to agree on this but as a resident in a reasonably upmarket suburb not much bigger than 3 x 3 km squared, where just about every household pays in excess of R500 per month for a local security company we still have hijackings, driveway robberies, car theft and burglaries on a weekly basis.This is despite the fact that we have a well resourced and supposedly exemplary police station in the suburb, whose primary function seems to be as employment for counter staff and `admin` that can only attempt( very badly) to log the crime statistics in the area and surrounds. This is our reality i`m afraid and whatever solution there is to this problem is probably not suitable for these politically correct days. Take care of yourselves and your close ones or leave are the only options.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Chilli Bean

I will try make it if I can finish up with work early enough. Will take note of the main points. 

Any news on the victim? No more info on the actual attack? 

I'll be there - thanks for the info!

http://www.engedi.co.za/contact-us/

I`d really love to agree on this but as a resident in a reasonably upmarket suburb not much bigger than 3 x 3 km squared, where just about every household pays in excess of R500 per month for a local security company we still have hijackings, driveway robberies, car theft and burglaries on a weekly basis.This is despite the fact that we have a well resourced and supposedly exemplary police station in the suburb, whose primary function seems to be as employment for counter staff and `admin` that can only attempt( very badly) to log the crime statistics in the area and surrounds. This is our reality i`m afraid and whatever solution there is to this problem is probably not suitable for these politically correct days. Take care of yourselves and your close ones or leave are the only options.

Frank this wasn't a security concept, just an idea for how to help finance one. I think we all here are aware that it is impossible to erase the danger of robberies etc.. That knowledge though should not keep us from trying to come up with solutions to improve the situation.

Appears the hijackers were in a vehicle.

JOHANNESBURG - Johannesburg police say no arrests have been made for the shooting of a cyclist in Krugersdorp.

The man was shot multiple times in an armed robbery on Saturday.

He was airlifted to hospital after a passer-by found him lying on the side of the road and administered lifesaving treatment.

The police’s Appel Ernst said: “According to the information received, there were three suspects in a white bakkie. We would like to ask anyone with information or who might have witnessed it to please contact the police.”

https://ewn.co.za/2018/08/13/no-arrests-yet-after-cyclist-shot-in-krugersdorp

This is the cradle - a world heritage side - i dont think cyclists can make it safe on their own... however - this will be bad for local business, and includes international business - so the government will need to step up to the plate - unless they dont need the tourists or visitors in the area  ...

I just heard a segment on Jacaranda fm where they spoke to Jon Jon yesterday, then Jims daughter phoned in to thank him for saving her fathers life! My goodness, nothing like a 5 second clip to get tears welling up in your eyes on the way to work on a tuesday morning.

Maybe a silver lining to all this is just being reminded how good some people can be, and that humanity and compassion is not all lost. 

Please share where relevant

Good Day to all Conserv Clients, Community Members, Tourist Industries, Emergency and Security Service providers, SAPS, Cycle Clubs,Members of the Press and The WHS MA. Regarding the shooting of a Cyclist on Saturday morning on the Kromdraai road in the Cradle Of Humankind WHS, you are cordially invited to attend an Urgent Meeting tomorrow evening Tuesday 14th August 2018 at Engedi on the N14 in Protea Ridge North (COHWHS) for 19h00 to discuss an initiative to upgrade security for both Tourists and Resident of the Cradle and surrounds. Regards Trevor Roberts

Do you know if the relevant people of the businesses that provide parking for cyclists in the cradle have been invited?

Do you know if the relevant people of the businesses that provide parking for cyclists in the cradle have been invited?

I can't imagine that whoever is orchestrating this meeting hasn't popped into the local restaurants and businesses, but would be worth checking. Most of them have FB pages - I know Something Country (when it was called that) certainly did, so even a message to them via FB would make double sure.

Had a real fright when I opened the Classifieds section this morning, luckily it is not the exact bike.

Yeah saw that too, but didn’t want to upset the seller. These classifieds guys can get touchy.

Given the exact location, I wonder if he was not off his bike for some reason. Stopping on that stretch of road would make a cyclist far more of a target.

Exactly my thoughts. It’s not always the best to speculate, but my guess is that he stopped in that section, as one does by the caves, to have a bite or a drink and was ambushed. That particular slipway/parking is very overgrown compared to the others.

Exactly my thoughts. It’s not always the best to speculate, but my guess is that he stopped in that section, as one does by the caves, to have a bite or a drink and was ambushed. That particular slipway/parking is very overgrown compared to the others.

Regardless of this particular incident, it certainly quite difficult to shoot at a moving target in the distance. Especially with a handgun. Probably better to avoid stopping anywhere quiet and just move along.

I "always" notice some elderly gentleman that park off there on a Sunday morning with their "classic cars" and have some tea/coffee and have a chat, need to warn them next time I see them...

Regardless of this particular incident, it certainly quite difficult to shoot at a moving target in the distance. Especially with a handgun. Probably better to avoid stopping anywhere quiet and just move along.

If as is reported they were in a bakkie it would be very easy to just park on the side then wait for the cyclist to approach and shoot at point blank range.