St Stithians trails (Randburg)

Cheese

ok, so a current update from St Stithians Security:

Good day,

Please advise your affiliation to the College.  With the campus still affected by lockdown, we are not 100% open to the general community as yet.

Regards,

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saints is lekker but that climb by the tennis courts is a mafq for me.

It took me by surprise as well. Strava has the segment at 4.5% grade which my legs disagree with

It took me by surprise as well. Strava has the segment at 4.5% grade which my legs disagree with

Jis. Feels like a possible 8 on the Richter. After that day I never have and never will go back there. That climb was super poef for me.

I've never cycled up there but I had to run up there a few times for cross-country in my younger days and I remember it sucked back then as well.

Website is useless and you won't find the link to register online unless I'm a total idiot. I tried and decided to just ride up and tell them I attempted it. Security let me in.

Trails are well-marked. Quite fun. Have not been maintained recently. The road loop is also lekker. 

This is nice to hear, as an old boy i am definitely going to give the leaderboard a go on the XCO loop.

is it possible on a CX bike or is a MTB the better choice?

CX makes for a nicer ride from my home as its mostly tar.

Edited by Furbz

I did it on my gravel bike, but I do stuff on my gravel bike that I probably shouldn't. It's mostly just basic singletrack, although quite a few sections have small jumps.

Edited by Nico van Loggerenberg

Website is useless and you won't find the link to register online unless I'm a total idiot. I tried and decided to just ride up and tell them I attempted it. Security let me in.

Trails are well-marked. Quite fun. Have not been maintained recently. The road loop is also lekker.

If you're not current and up to date with school fees, then you're technically not allowed to ride there.

FFS, security did not let us in on Saturday, and I'm a paid up parent.

I am definitely going to take this up with their head of facilities.

If you're not current and up to date with school fees, then you're technically not allowed to ride there.

Yes, please make sure nobody is allowed to have fun there  :thumbup:

Yes, please make sure nobody is allowed to have fun there :thumbup:

But it you're not eligible, you shouldn't be there.

You can't sneak past the guards at Northern Farm and 6hen go ride for free.

It's wrong

But it you're not eligible, you shouldn't be there.

You can't sneak past the guards at Northern Farm and 6hen go ride for free.

It's wrong

I think you may have misunderstood my post. I went, was told I need to register online, and returned home. Attempted to do it, the links are broken - 404 etc. On the school website, the only info available said to go to security and fill in a covid form in person. Which, with the reduction to level 1, I went to do, there were no forms, and I was allowed through at the gate. There was no 'sneaking'. There was 100% upfront honesty and trying to follow the poorly implemented school rules. 

Where does it state that you need to be a "paid up parent"? So old boys cannot ride there or people frequenting Higher Ground?

Also went there recently, and was told we needed to register on the site. Could not find anything but they let us ride in the entrance at Higher Ground. 

Prior to lockdown as far as I know the loop has always been made of by the general public, especially the surrounding burbs. Not just for riding, also walking/running and dog walkers. I understood it was a courtesy to the community on the part of the school providing a safe environment.
This would be in line with the school's principles and history.

Have always supported the restaurant as far as possible as a show of gratitude, and if need to be would happily support a nominal access fee. The loop is a gem and a fine showcase for the school, a number of out of town visitors have expressed their gratitude and admiration for the facilities. 

Would be a shame to lose out because of misunderstood feelings.

Where does it state that you need to be a "paid up parent"? So old boys cannot ride there or people frequenting Higher Ground?

Higher Ground is a business venture. Not, to my knowledge, involved in any way.

Old boys can access the grounds as well as parents as far as I understand. I am an old boy and sent the OSA a message, they sent me a form to fill in and said I would be added to a list. It seems you simply have to have some affiliation to the school which is fair enough. Was an easy enough process but also couldn't find anything on the website.