Dear Road Hog Jag F Pace Driver in Dale Lace Ave

Sven137

This morning on my way to work, I gave a motorbikealist the right of way............I feel so much better now !

You have no Idea how much it's appreciated.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This morning on my way to work, I gave a motorbikealist the right of way............I feel so much better now !

Good man.

Now we can have beers one day

An F-Pace is a REALLY nice car. That's mostly what I get from this thread title.

If I had one I'd drive like more of a d!ck on purpose.

Sorry for picking your post, but I had to add this somewhere in this thread and yours seemed like the perfect place...

post-27827-0-70886600-1534919750_thumb.png

I have a question for the OP

Your profile pic is a motorbike. Are you a fan, do you own one?

If you do ride a motorbike, I hope you are not one of those azzholes who cut through traffic and think the rules are special for them...........

Just asking   :whistling:

Oh and yes I do feel for you this morning...............car drivers are idiots towards us cyclists generally

And some like you it seems towards Motorcyclists as well.

Yes i do ride a Motorbike to work everyday and i am one of those that legally "Lane Split"

I take it you're one of those car drivers that think it's illegal and try and stop us by making life difficult and being spiteful. ?

FYI Road Traffic Act

1 Lane splitting by motorcycles is not illegal in South Africa when done in a safe and sensible manner and as long as the National Road Traffic Act & Regulations 93 of 1996 are adhered to. 2 Motorists should not take it upon themselves to discourage motorcyclists from lane splitting.Jun 1, 2016

Trying to squeeze your way through traffic is dangerous and annoying, wait like everybody else  :ph34r:

Really... I hate commuting by car.. waste of time and waste of petrol  ... costs me R250 per week to commute and my time to work is 30 to 40 min faster than by car...

My carbon footprint is lower than a cars.... so i think motorcyclists have the upper hand

Sitting in traffic while it's legal to lane split is a crazy suggestion.

I don't think the motorists are entirely to blame - lane splitting does create a lot of uncertainty on the road.

Just the idea that two cars can legally squish a motorbiker to death between two lanes makes no sense to me.

Why uncertainty ?

If one drove correctly and had lane discipline, then whats the problem ?

Do not change lanes without looking and indicating and looking again and only when you see it's all clear only then move.

Simple

Why uncertainty ?

If one drove correctly and had lane discipline, then whats the problem ?

Do not change lanes without looking and indicating and looking again and only when you see it's all clear only then move.

Simple

In theory you are correct but practically I think the system is problematic.

Without lane splitting it's all nice and clear - a dotted white line between you at all times - stay on your side of the white line. There is generally a ~1m zone with no vehicle in it.

With lane splitting there is no clear divide - vehicles overlap each other and the most vulnerable vehicle relies on the invincible vehicles to leave enough space for the invisible third lane.

That just doesn't sound like a safe situation to me.

And some like you it seems towards Motorcyclists as well.

I have had some bad encounters with motorbikealists on the road, it does not mean they are all boxes and not fair to paint all with the same brush.........was just stirring a bit !

Edited by coppi

my take-away from this thread is <tada> don't be a dwiss.

jeepers, life is hard enough as it is. do we really have to make it SOOO much harder for each other and for ourselves? I once saw two grown men punching each other in traffic on a Monday morning. FFS, okes... can't we all just get along?

#smileandwave

my take-away from this thread is <tada> don't be a dwiss.

jeepers, life is hard enough as it is. do we really have to make it SOOO much harder for each other and for ourselves? I once saw two grown men punching each other in traffic on a Monday morning. FFS, okes... can't we all just get along?

#smileandwave

Ha ha ha, that must have been frikken hilarious, bet you wished you had deckchair and popcorn to watch the boxing.

Hi. Dont want to derail your post ...  I commute that route very often. Republic between Sandton and Jan Smuts has a dirt shoulder on the left when going down to Sandton, and a big pavement on the left when going back up Jan Smuts direction. I have seen taxis on the pavement but at least it's out of most cars' way.

I dont go Sandton drive. Cross to the other side of William Nocol with the traffic light at Republic, then stay on the pavement and turn off at Mattie. Then 9th and eventually 11th. That will take you right up to the Benmore shopping centre. From there you should be able to pick up some cycling lanes.

Happy commuting - be safe. And don't let the car drivers get to you. It's not worth it. 

PS the route of course only if you are commuting on a bicycle ... 

I want to ride a road Bike

Ysterhout / Hans Schoeman / Hill / Dover / Republic / William Nicol

Then into Parkmore to Benmore shopping center...is it safe on these roads ?

A box will always be a box.

If it drives a car/ taxi/ bus/ truck like a box, chances are if it rides any form of bike it will ride like a box too.

And will probably be the most vociferous about anyone else doing something wrong in their eyes.

Not saying that anyone who has vented their spleen on this thread is a box but there have been some pretty self righteuos posts.

Just my 2 cents.