Dear Road Hog Jag F Pace Driver in Dale Lace Ave

Sven137

An F-Pace is a REALLY nice car. That's mostly what I get from this thread title.

If I had one I'd drive like more of a d!ck on purpose.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see your taxi and raise you global warming. Or nuclear war. 

So that means taxis skipping lights shouldn't even raise an eyebrow right?

Hehe, I see where you are trying to go with this, but ja, I reckon taxi's are as much an evil on the roads as anything else, so therein my point. Perception.

Global warming and Nuclear War is one thing. Taxi behaviour is an entirely different beast. 

But I get what you mean. We live in a nation where the "Rule of Law" is open to "interpretation", and that brings us to people who do as they please and in so doing end up as self righteous entitled prats, who will not give a rats ass about the next person, as long as they are not inconvenienced. But boy oh boy watch out if you do offend one of their many sensibilities.

Hehe, I see where you are trying to go with this, but ja, I reckon taxi's are as much an evil on the roads as anything else, so therein my point. Perception.

Global warming and Nuclear War is one thing. Taxi behaviour is an entirely different beast. 

But I get what you mean. We live in a nation where the "Rule of Law" is open to "interpretation", and that brings us to people who do as they please and in so doing end up as self righteous entitled prats, who will not give a rats ass about the next person, as long as they are not inconvenienced. But boy oh boy watch out if you do offend one of their many sensibilities.

Hopefully, as Slowbee said on the Fbomb thread, these threads getting us thinking about our behaviour as a first step towards doing something about our behaviour.

I know a few saffers here in Denmark and the general consensus among us expatters is that it makes perfect sense with the current state of South Africa that you look after your own. It does make for a rather antisocial society though!

I was driving down Modderfontein Road (P91) towards Illiondale in Gauteng yesterday.

In the morning, taxis and other cars drive in the emergency lane. Traffic cops try stop them but it's futile...

Running up hill in the emergency lane was a lonesome old white bearded guy, flipping the bird to all the taxi drivers and cars as they swerved around him. He refused to budge!

At first I thought, wow, what a guy taking on all these illegal drivers...

Afterwards I wondered, does it matter whether he was totally right...Dead is dead. It does not matter if you in the right when a vehicle hits you. A car or taxi will always win the fight.

So should we all behave like this chap and fight for what is right no matter the risk. Or do we acknowledge that even if we want to do what is right, there is no changing the status quo... 

I don't daily commute on my motorbike but I must say I mostly stick to the middle of the lane when I'm out on it. 

I see how people drive - cars, trucks, buses, taxis, tuktuks, those recyclers on trollies.. (I see how I used to drive!), lane splitting just scares me sometimes. There's quite a lot to lose...duh, and as with most traffic scenarios - not a lot to gain.

I say if u cant beat them, join them. Problem is that as soon as a motorist rides down the yellow lane like a taxi its a problem, but not if you a taxi. Why do taxi have privilege ? We are all going to work. If everyone started occupying all lanes, then there is no where for anyone to shortcut. It might just force the authorities to actually do something

Lane splitting is NOT illegal in South Africa.

In some countries it is but here it isnt.

Loads of courteous people on the roads which is pleasant, then you get the knob jockeys that just wanna prove a point and make you wait. It always upsets them more when they try so hard but you ride around them on the other side and thank them for the space.

Lane splitting is legal in the Western Cape it might be a bylaw but very much legal just like the 1m gap for cyclists when you pass them is a Western Cape thing but it is law. Motorcyclists may not go faster than 20km/h than the speed of the traffic.

One of the main reasons motorcyclists and cyclists are often not seen when they are behind and to the side of the driver of the vehicle is because in SA we do not know how to set our mirrors.

They are not all rear view mirrors only the one inside the car is. The other two mirrors should be set so you can just (almost not) see the side of the car and the lane next to that side of the car not set for the lane behind your car. They are side view mirrors.

(Flame suite on - mini rant off)

This is where I tell you to go get F#$%ed.

I ride a motorcycle every single day of my life and like hell will I wait in queue of cars.

Youre probably the twat in the fortuner trying to cut us off and sideswipe us off the road.

You don't know me and I am certainly not that guy..............Fortuner pffffft !

You on the other hand have shown to be the aggressive cocky motorbikeralist twat.........

You don't know me and I am certainly not that guy..............Fortuner pffffft !

You on the other hand have shown to be the aggressive cocky motorbikeralist twat.........

I know ChUkKy personally and can vouch for his soft and kindhearted nature. 

He's Vegan, and can be found strolling through raw sustainable farmers markets on Saturdays, with "Zen" imprints on his hemp shirts, neatly tucked ban bun. 

Phew, multiquote, how dare I!

Correct. Lane splitting is perfectly legal. There's no hard & fast rule as to the speed differential AFAIK but the arrive alive guys recommended a max differential of 30 if I remember correctly. Personally I stopped commuting on my bike coz it was absolutely terrifying. The amount of motorists who seem to have no real interest in where their car is actually headed was just too astounding to comprehend.

Bizarrely I feel much less at risk on my roadie in Lycra than I did on my Moto in leather.

Yes, perfectly legal. No speed limit besides the general speed limit, however arrive allive suggests a maximum speed difference of 20kmph, which from experience works well for me and for my brakes.

I don't think the motorists are entirely to blame - lane splitting does create a lot of uncertainty on the road.

Just the idea that two cars can legally squish a motorbiker to death between two lanes makes no sense to me.

No man, two cars may not legally squash a motorbike :huh: Physically yes, but not legal to squash a motorbike- thats manslaughter if I'm not mistaken!
If they touch the motorbike while lane splitting, both parties are wrong. I rewrote my bike learners about a month ago and among the study material was a part saying that a motorvehicle may not purposely obstruct a motorcyclist.

If you are on a motor bike or bicycle, you are the more vulnerable one and should be much more defensive in your approach to the road. What would be the best way to address an offending fellow road user but without the rage and personal attacks?

Yes agreed, riding the motorcyclist is every bit as defensive as riding the bicycle on public roads!
Patch suggested a good alternative recently- give them a thumbs down and a boo. Maybe not as visible/recognisable as a birdie, but not as provocative.

I was driving down Modderfontein Road (P91) towards Illiondale in Gauteng yesterday.

In the morning, taxis and other cars drive in the emergency lane. Traffic cops try stop them but it's futile...

Running up hill in the emergency lane was a lonesome old white bearded guy, flipping the bird to all the taxi drivers and cars as they swerved around him. He refused to budge!

At first I thought, wow, what a guy taking on all these illegal drivers...

Afterwards I wondered, does it matter whether he was totally right...Dead is dead. It does not matter if you in the right when a vehicle hits you. A car or taxi will always win the fight.

So should we all behave like this chap and fight for what is right no matter the risk. Or do we acknowledge that even if we want to do what is right, there is no changing the status quo... 

My own opinion here: strictly speaking its because not enough people are standing up for what is right and leaving it hoping someone else will pick up the slack. Imagine this- this 1 old man bullheadedly fighting for what he believes is right, boom taken down by a taxi. But imagine the same scenario but now with 10 people fighting for what they believe is right, suddenly even the taxi will reconsider!
No one is willing to take a hit or loss "for the greater good of society". At the same time, I know my financial and legal limits and pick my fights carefully.

I know ChUkKy personally and can vouch for his soft and kindhearted nature. 

He's Vegan, and can be found strolling through raw sustainable farmers markets on Saturdays, with "Zen" imprints on his hemp shirts, neatly tucked ban bun. 

Why does he not ride an e-bike then..............far more sustainable  :whistling:

No. Uncertainty would be removed if everyone understood and followed the rules of the road. Lane splitting is legal. More bikes on the road means less cars on the road which means you get to work quicker.

Lane splitting bikers have absolutely no effect on motorists apart from not being in a car. That's a good thing.

I made no claims as to the legality of lane splitting, only the safety aspect. Is it legal? Sure it is. Is it safer to not do so? I would venture another "Yes". Everyone following rules of the road is an Utopia that's now ever going to happen. It will be scant consolation to your wife that it was actually someone else's fault that you are now a skid mark on the road because he or she else didn't observe you coming down the imaginary bike lane.

Also, I think it absolutely has an effect on motorists; especially when changing lanes where you now have to check two lanes for traffic (One with lines for cars and another created by motorbikes with no lines) before changing lanes instead of 1.

Why does he not ride an e-bike then..............far more sustainable  :whistling:

e-bikes are harmful to trails, the hub established this, I'll send you the link to that thread

e-bikes are harmful to trails, the hub established this, I'll send you the link to that thread

eBikes do less damage to our vegetation than vegans.

Archived