Dear Road Hog Jag F Pace Driver in Dale Lace Ave

Sven137

As far as I know, lane splitting is legal during peak hour traffic and u cant go faster than 20km/h more than traffic. I do stand corrected on this.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I know, lane splitting is legal during peak hour traffic and u cant go faster than 20km/h more than traffic. I do stand corrected on this.

Correct. Lane splitting is perfectly legal. There's no hard & fast rule as to the speed differential AFAIK but the arrive alive guys recommended a max differential of 30 if I remember correctly. Personally I stopped commuting on my bike coz it was absolutely terrifying. The amount of motorists who seem to have no real interest in where their car is actually headed was just too astounding to comprehend.

Bizarrely I feel much less at risk on my roadie in Lycra than I did on my Moto in leather.

Trying to squeeze your way through traffic is dangerous and annoying, wait like everybody else  :ph34r:

but it IS legal.... and if it's legal, how can it be annoying?

Correct. Lane splitting is perfectly legal. There's no hard & fast rule as to the speed differential AFAIK but the arrive alive guys recommended a max differential of 30 if I remember correctly. Personally I stopped commuting on my bike coz it was absolutely terrifying. The amount of motorists who seem to have no real interest in where their car is actually headed was just too astounding to comprehend.

Bizarrely I feel much less at risk on my roadie in Lycra than I did on my Moto in leather.

I don't think the motorists are entirely to blame - lane splitting does create a lot of uncertainty on the road.

Just the idea that two cars can legally squish a motorbiker to death between two lanes makes no sense to me.

I don't think the motorists are entirely to blame - lane splitting does create a lot of uncertainty on the road.

Just the idea that two cars can legally squish a motorbiker to death between two lanes makes no sense to me.

You are trying to be too sensible and logical. This kind of behaviour will definitely not be tolerated on the Hub!  :devil:

You are trying to be too sensible and logical. This kind of behaviour will definitely not be tolerated on the Hub!  :devil:

My bad. I forgot where I was for a moment.

What I meant to say was "ALL motorbikes are tjops and deserve to be run over"!!!!!

Sure, I agree, there is increased risk in lane splitting. However, if motorists check their mirrors and indicate when they change lanes and/or make turns, a huge amount of uncertainty will be removed.

Sure, I agree, there is increased risk in lane splitting. However, if motorists check their mirrors and indicate when they change lanes and/or make turns, a huge amount of uncertainty will be removed.

All uncertainty would be removed if bikers didnt do this in the first place

All uncertainty would be removed if bikers didnt do this in the first place

No. Uncertainty would be removed if everyone understood and followed the rules of the road. Lane splitting is legal. More bikes on the road means less cars on the road which means you get to work quicker.

Lane splitting bikers have absolutely no effect on motorists apart from not being in a car. That's a good thing.

No. Uncertainty would be removed if everyone understood and followed the rules of the road. Lane splitting is legal. More bikes on the road means less cars on the road which means you get to work quicker.

Lane splitting bikers have absolutely no effect on motorists apart from not being in a car. That's a good thing.

Especially the bikers.

So, there I was on the R27 passing Flamingo Vlei. It was a dark and rainy morning. I was in the right hand lane, and needed to move across to the left lane to take the Paddock's exit. I looked into my rear view mirrors, both center and left hand side mirrors, and just saw a bunch of lights staring back at me. After, what felt like an eternity of checking, I deemed it safe to do so, and started my left turn. 

Next thing I know, some guy was banging against my left passenger window, showing me that self same bird our OP finds so offending. I lowered the window, and in between the sound of my engine, his engine, the wind and rain, heard him shout profanities at me about nearly taking him out...

All I want to know is this, when I looked back in my mirrors, and got met by what looked like a thousand yellow globes staring back at me, which one was his?

And on another occasion, the only time so far I saw anyone get defibrillator treatment, was also at the R27 / Marine Drive traffic lights. This guy also got knocked while lane splitting. I am not sure if he made it, but he was not looking good by the time I had to move again.

I am not going to split hairs about the legality of lane splitting. I merely question the wisdom thereof.

In theory I agree with you but practically I think a system that allows any vehicle to straddle/overlap any other vehicle with no clear line of separation is always going to be dangerous.

Bikers rely on motorist to leave enough space for them to squeeze by - that is outside of my risk/reward range. Especially with no cage to protect me... If it within yours you are free to do it.

In theory I agree with you but practically I think a system that allows any vehicle to straddle/overlap any other vehicle with no clear line of separation is always going to be dangerous.

Bikers rely on motorist to leave enough space for them to squeeze by - that is outside of my risk/reward range. Especially with no cage to protect me... If it within yours you are free to do it.

Ag now you've ruined it all by being logical.

Especially the bikers.

Why don't we try for reasonable debate instead of a stereotype finger pointing? Both sides might learn something....

Ag now you've ruined it all by being logical.

Damnit. I keep falling into that trap.

Bikers are the devil!!!!!

So, there I was on the R27 passing Flamingo Vlei. It was a dark and rainy morning. I was in the right hand lane, and needed to move across to the left lane to take the Paddock's exit. I looked into my rear view mirrors, both center and left hand side mirrors, and just saw a bunch of lights staring back at me. After, what felt like an eternity of checking, I deemed it safe to do so, and started my left turn. 

Next thing I know, some guy was banging against my left passenger window, showing me that self same bird our OP finds so offending. I lowered the window, and in between the sound of my engine, his engine, the wind and rain, heard him shout profanities at me about nearly taking him out...

All I want to know is this, when I looked back in my mirrors, and got met by what looked like a thousand yellow globes staring back at me, which one was his?

And on another occasion, the only time so far I saw anyone get defibrillator treatment, was also at the R27 / Marine Drive traffic lights. This guy also got knocked while lane splitting. I am not sure if he made it, but he was not looking good by the time I had to move again.

I am not going to split hairs about the legality of lane splitting. I merely question the wisdom thereof.

If you are on a motor bike or bicycle, you are the more vulnerable one and should be much more defensive in your approach to the road. What would be the best way to address an offending fellow road user but without the rage and personal attacks?

Archived