Flats for MTB

Spirog

So, I'm a serious roadie, who committed to riding W2W 2018...

I've been having some skills lessons but find the MTB terrifying!!

Would it be advisable to find a pair of flat pedals and appropriate shoes to ride W2W with? Or, will be unable to manage the bike at all?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If W2W is your first big event, go with flats and appropriate shoes. You dont want to do a big one and not enjoy because of being scared of buying some real estate. Then get some clipless pedals and get used to it on the mtb. You WILL fall and get used to it. Riding with clips mtb is a no brainer. You have to get used to clipping in and out in a moments notice. Good luck.

Would it be advisable to find a pair of flat pedals and appropriate shoes to ride W2W with? Or, will be unable to manage the bike at all?

If anything flats are going to help you improve your skills and confidence, making it easier to manage the bike. 

I'm also sure your handling of the road bike will improve tenfold #PeterSagan

If W2W is your first big event, go with flats and appropriate shoes. You dont want to do a big one and not enjoy because of being scared of buying some real estate. Then get some clipless pedals and get used to it on the mtb. You WILL fall and get used to it. Riding with clips mtb is a no brainer. You have to get used to clipping in and out in a moments notice. Good luck.

I'm really comfortable with cleats on the road, I just don't feel safe on the MTB

I'm really comfortable with cleats on the road, I just don't feel safe on the MTB

Then do it. 

Nothin wrong with proper flats and shoes on an MTB. I far prefer it, as do most of my riding buddies. 

Starting out I would definitely recommend flats!  Get your confidence up and later on you can go clipless.  Or not...  In my opinion, when push comes to shove, most things mtb boils down to personal preference.  Find what works for you and stick to it!  But seriously, start out with flats, please.

You WILL fall and get used to it. Riding with clips mtb is a no brainer. You have to get used to clipping in and out in a moments notice. Good luck.

There are just no two ways about this... I also recently switched to riding MTB this year, I love the road, but MTB is a different high, on the bike, it's like the physics works in reverse. Hated single track, now, can't get enough of it ... just keep at it, eventually clips will become second nature as it is on your road bike.

Nothing wrong with flats on an mtb. There is a big contingent of the unfinformed marathon crowd that see it as "the beginner" thing to do. But in reality flats will teach you propper technique and most likely make you a better cyclist technically. Personally my technique has suffered since using cleats. I know of a few people who have made the switch to flats and are doing events such as Wines 2 Whales and Sani 2 Sea on them - takes getting used to on climbs (there is a slight disadvantage because you don't have any pull), but with propper form you should be able to ride just as fast as your cleats but with more confidence.

Just make sure you use grippy pedals and propper shoes whose soles won't be chewed up by the pedals.

you mean you saying those chin tinners are like a thing now :eek:

how far  our morals has fallen

PS: OP if you do decide to get flats make sure you leave the shop with a good pair of shin guards to go with the pedals. Personally I see no difference to learning proper technique with either system but the fact that most down hillers still use clip ins says something

Kim van Kets rode the bike parts of Expedition Africa in flats this year. I know of 2 guys who have ridden Freedom Challenge in flats.

You aren't going for the win, so if you feel more comfy using them, then use them.

There is no right or wrong answer.

how far  our morals has fallen

PS: OP if you do decide to get flats make sure you leave the shop with a good pair of shin guards to go with the pedals. Personally I see no difference to learning proper technique with either system but the fact that most down hillers still use clip ins says something

But they're experienced, racing for podiums, and would have gained their skills on flats.  

how far our morals has fallen

Yes, you can learn propper technique with either cleats or flats, it's just easier to learn improper technique with cleats. And fair enough, pro XC races and the majority pros in DH and Enduro use cleats - but they are racing and the best of the best - no use comparing them with the majority of us. Flats provide alot of confidence a good platform to build skills on when starting out on the mtb.

They're also more fun...

Archived