[Event] Trans Baviaans Race

Seamus Allardice

This may be true for a gifted minority but for me and I suspect a lot of others a bit more is needed?

Long slow rides for training. The web site gives good pointers on this. A 5 hour MTB ride is do-able for most who are going to be entering this race. HOWEVER : If you do a 5 hour 40 km MTB half marathon, then yes you are in big poo.

Take it easy try not to spend an hour in each check point and go for it. Hope my pard is a lot stronger than he was last time. 15 hours is a long time to spend cycling before you finish.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of mileage must one be covering now weekly to finish comfortably?? (Asking for a friend) :whistling: :whistling:

More important to do uphill intervals... Lots! Do about 250km a week with these and other intervals... Doing my 7th this year.

aiming to do this in 2020, need to get the Ms able to go faster than comfortable cruising speed first

...cant wait :)

I'm assuming this thread is silent due to everyone sitting on their bikes at this very moment, training away on a 10% dusty trail somewhere?

I'm beyond excited for it. First timer attempting it with 7 family members (look out for Build-It kit on the start route), one of which is a Savage. 

Longest ride up until now is 100km (50% dirt, 50% road), so I have some ways to go. Attempting it on my cheapo Silverback Sola 4, strongly contemplating the need for my second kidney to fund a dual-susser for the occasion.

I completed 2 TB's on my sola 4 and last year I did it on a dual-sus. It makes you really appreciate the dual-sus.

More important to do uphill intervals... Lots! Do about 250km a week with these and other intervals... Doing my 7th this year.

get a long endurance base...in all weathers and and cycle into the evening to try and replicate changes in temp etc...use a hr monitor...as for intervals...get a good base first..and start with intervals on the flat and then progress to the hills...

• 1 month later...

Looking for an entry in the Race on 10 August.....any options available?

Hi Walter, I have an entry. 2 man team. You still interested?

• 4 weeks later...

Too late to start training now? Haha, just got an entry today and had to take it! I was lazy and sick the last two months, let's see if I can get fit in three weeks time! 

Also, any tips and hints for this race..please direct them this way. I'm completely in the dark and have no clue what to expect. 

Too late to start training now? Haha, just got an entry today and had to take it! I was lazy and sick the last two months, let's see if I can get fit in three weeks time! 

Also, any tips and hints for this race..please direct them this way. I'm completely in the dark and have no clue what to expect. 

Make sure you have a good light and enough battery/batteries. Hydrate, eat and keep moving forward and you'll be fine.

Don't forget a warm jacket, it can get cold in the kloof. 

Edited by bullet77

Go do Around the Pot 100miler in Swellendam this weekend

Go do Around the Pot 100miler in Swellendam this weekend

Yip, but just doing the 60miler with my wife on Saturday. Will try and work in another longish ride on Sunday in that area.

You'll be fine Johan - you do have enough km's in the bag already

Things also changed for me, got an entry last week and things just fell into place  :clap:. Doing my 4th this year, check your pm I will forward you some tips

Yip, but just doing the 60miler with my wife on Saturday. Will try and work in another longish ride on Sunday in that area.

So it seems the weather is running amok in the cape. The photos I'm seeing and the road condition is making me pretty nervous on my Alu hardtail with 2.2 tyres. But alas, time to HTFU it seems!

I foresee that it will be a cold one this year. I keep an eye on yr.no:

https://www.yr.no/place/South_Africa/Eastern_Cape/Willowmore/long.html - They're quite accurate and have "long term" forecasts, this helps tremendously to see just how cold you're lycra ass will be at 22:00 at night  :clap:  

So it seems the weather is running amok in the cape. The photos I'm seeing and the road condition is making me pretty nervous on my Alu hardtail with 2.2 tyres. But alas, time to HTFU it seems!

We are starting to train this weekend. Taper from Monday

Nutrition is also important. I trust you have not neglected filling your carbohydrate stores over the last few months.

If you started training last week already you would've taken podium, easily  :w00t:. I bet a sub 10 hour easy peazy now  :thumbup:

We are starting to train this weekend. Taper from Monday