Scott Spark 940 .... or what else ?

ChrisF

I am in the market for a dual suspension bike.

I am NOT married to any brand .....

I currently have the Fuel EX 5.  Best part of this bike is the geometry ... I LOVE that long nose and dosile feel of the bike.

I have test ridden some other bikes and am not in the market for anything with a steep front fork, nor "twitchy" steering.

"likes" .... gotten used to the SRAM Eagle GX.

Happy with an alu frame ..... (translation, the carban frames with decent spec equipment is out of my price range)

At the Backsberg ride I wished I had remote lock-out shocks ...

The Scott Spark 940 ticks these boxes.  And with the 2019 stock about to hit the shelves the 2018 model is going at a good price... R37k

QUESTION - what other dual suspension bikes should I also look at ?

I would like to be believe that I am (sometimes) open-minded and can listen to good input from others .... that said, as much as I may agree on the superiority of some bikes .... I am on a budget 

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Specify budget

That determines the scope of the suggestions you will get

I'd always recommend the remarkable Scalpel ????

Specify budget

That determines the scope of the suggestions you will get

I'd always recommend the remarkable Scalpel

The Spark 940 is now available at R37k.  Which wont break the bank .... but if something else truly rocks my world I will find a few extra rands ....

What about the new Giant Trance? Definitely a bike I would consider if I was in the market for a new bike right now.

2018 ?  or is there a newer one already ?

do these offer remote lockout for the shocks ?  (I dont see it on the spec sheet)

Happy with an alu frame ..... (translation, the carban frames with decent spec equipment is out of my price range)

The Scott Spark 940 ticks these boxes.  And with the 2019 stock about to hit the shelves the 2018 model is going at a good price... R37k

I have an older Scott Spark, but I do enjoy the remote lock-out, and even more the twin lock option, where you can quickly switch between 3 settings without move your hands to far from the handlebar.

Was probably the deciding factor on going for the Scott

I have an older Scott Spark, but I do enjoy the remote lock-out, and even more the twin lock option, where you can quickly switch between 3 settings without move your hands to far from the handlebar.

Was probably the deciding factor on going for the Scott

At Sunday's event at Backsberg I really could have used that dual remote lock-out !!   :thumbup:

From the moment you go over a rise it is steep down, with ruts and erosion and and ... just not save to bend down to open the shock ....  :eek:   Twice had to slow down to a crawl in order to open the shock ... and not long after it was time to lock before getting to the next hill ....

I am in the market for a dual suspension bike.

I am NOT married to any brand .....

I currently have the Fuel EX 5. Best part of this bike is the geometry ... I LOVE that long nose and dosile feel of the bike.

I have test ridden some other bikes and am not in the market for anything with a steep front fork, nor "twitchy" steering.

"likes" .... gotten used to the SRAM Eagle GX.

The Scott Spark 940 ticks these boxes. And with the 2019 stock about to hit the shelves the 2018 model is going at a good price... R37k

QUESTION - what other dual suspension bikes should I also look at ?

I would like to be believe that I am (sometimes) open-minded and can listen to good input from others .... that said, as much as I may agree on the superiority of some bikes .... I am on a budget

Honestly, why do you want to change? What's the ex not giving you?

one ride a year is not sufficient enough to gauge need on, to be honest.

Edited by Cptmayhem

I was actually wondering the other day if I can retrofit remote lockout on my fuel ex8

On the EX5 ..... way too expensive to attempt this.

Trek shops not interested in helping ....

Louise at Knipe_Racing can get a new shock modified to fit the EX frame, in order to do the remote conversion .....

If I sell the EX5, and this conversion cost I am very close to the special price on the Spark 940 ....

Honestly, why do you want to change? What's the ex not giving you?

wants vs needs ... gat jeuk .... and all that ....  :whistling:

Handling - for my use the EX5 outperforms my skills by far.

Gearing - I already did a 1x12 Eagle GX conversion .... though I DO enjoy the ease of use of a 1x, 5% of the time I wish for a wider range ..... I had to select for bottom end due to my knees, which means I spin out, though that is never an issue on a trail.  A 2x may be more practical for me, even though I will miss the 1x .... NOT as if this is any reason to go from the EX5 to the 940, since the 940 is also a 1x Eagle GX setup.

Brakes - perfect for my use

Suspension - the remote lockout will certainly be an advantage.

Dropper seat post - nice extra on the 940 .... I dont have experience with this, so cant say much more about it ....

Bike-fit ..... I am on that cut-off between M and L size, depending on the brand ..... turns out the EX5 I bought is slightly on the small side (perks of a professional bike fit showing up these things..)

so why ???? 

I have often sold toys after 12 to 18 months to buy the next model 

The only time I feel that I need to lock the suspension on my Anthem is when I am on tar, so the dual lockout is not an issue to me.

Had the Fuel EX now have a Spark 940. Even without the special deal the spec on the Spark destroys the Fuel EX 5. Drivetrain, suspension, brakes and nicer finishing touches. Also consider that if you are around 170cm tall that Trek don't import the 18.5” frame which is the correct size for someone that big. 17.5” is too small, ask me how I know. My Trek also developed some nasty clicking noises which I could not diagnose and which seem to be a rather common occurrence from looking at the MTBR forums. So for me the Scott wins hands down, but despite the issues the Fuel EX is still a properly fun bike to ride