International parcels good news - we hope!

Psyrax

I haven't been following this fred but I just needed to vent.

I ordered a book on Amazon this past Saturday. $40 for the book, and 60 bucks for the delivery - steep I know, but it was the more expensive option and mostly I'm tired of waiting months (in one case 4 years and counting...) for it to arrive.The number of times I've had to stand in that queue at ORTambo post office to no avail  :cursing:

Today I received the book. 4 DAYS later! 

It makes me so angry that efficient service can actually happen in South Africa, and yet SO OFTEN it just doesn't. Why do we have to settle for such rubbish service? Every now and then we catch a glimpse of people actually doing their jobs correctly and to the best of their ability.. and it feels like such a privilege. 

sigh 

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wish that was another option besides the post office.

Using a courier isn't always an option.

Back in the day when order stuff from overseas it took 4 - 6 weeks

These days it's more like 4 - 6 months

Some goods I ordered in April arrived earlier this month and 2 orders from March have never arrived.

And that was on a ship....    Nowdays it's the government that want to take money form imports

I haven't been following this fred but I just needed to vent.

I ordered a book on Amazon this past Saturday. $40 for the book, and 60 bucks for the delivery - steep I know, but it was the more expensive option and mostly I'm tired of waiting months (in one case 4 years and counting...) for it to arrive.The number of times I've had to stand in that queue at ORTambo post office to no avail  :cursing:

Today I received the book. 4 DAYS later! 

It makes me so angry that efficient service can actually happen in South Africa, and yet SO OFTEN it just doesn't. Why do we have to settle for such rubbish service? Every now and then we catch a glimpse of people actually doing their jobs correctly and to the best of their ability.. and it feels like such a privilege. 

sigh 

When i lived in the UK most online purchases were at your door the next day....   made buying fun

Now even Bid of Buy has stupidly expensive postage fees that make the cost of the item more expensive than in the shops ... so whats the point.

SA Post Service is such a mess. 

I also ordered a pair of sunnies online, waited about 4 months and it kept saying it's in China or stuck at customs or something when I went in to track my parcel.

A colleague of mine, who placed the same order, received his eventually and got contacted by his post office in Rondebosch to collect.

I had to go through so many channels only to find out eventually it's at the Cape Town CBD post office and I can go collect it there.

Funny thing is, I paid more to have it delivered to my address which just never happened.

I have wanted to order from Wish.com but I dread having to go through all of this again.

Yep, plus just like SAA and other SEO's, the staff bas bloated without really adding any value. I think for example SAA's "staff per aircraft" is by far the highest in the world. I'll safely guess that the Post Office's ratio of "staff per mail item" is also probably the highest in the world.

One difference though between now and "then", then things worked just a bit faster.

That is true, reprehensible as they were.... I started my adventures with imports around 12 years old in the Apollo era,  ordering model rockets from the USA  via parcel post, and it worked like clockwork. Yesterday I visited my PO box with high hopes, nothing wada zilch zippo of the 4 parcels I am waiting for (two of the EMS). When does one start the process of not receiving goods on ebay?

Btw, SAA and Transnet were once one, I think the AA side was more on the Spoorweg, SAA was a bit more discerning, although Whites only (besides cleaning staff). SAA used to do most maintenance work in house , including jet engine overhaul, and had an excellent apprenticeship program. Besides loathing SAA now, I think traveling long distance or even commuting by train now here is unthinkable & untenable (besides the Gautrain) let alone for shipping goods. Our poor roads. Its just become another vehicle for graft & plunder and gone the way most public service & enterprises have: dismal dysfunctionality.

I have been using myus.com to consolidate shipments from the USA, either ordering off ebay or direct from suppliers, and delivery there is very reliable to my FL address,  and you are always given options. Then I ship with Fedex here, 3 days and shipment gets pre-cleared. I have  tried ordering from China and ship to the US, seems to work with small parts in an envelope but I am going to try Amarex Global Shipping via Hong Kong for some items I need that would justify a separate shipment.

Edited by kosmonooit

Had two parcels from April arrive yesterday. According to the tracking I have two more from April arriving soon as they are close by.

More parcels arriving the past few days. Now clearing the 4 month backlog it seems.

I received a parcel like 3 weeks ago, and since nothing. 5 parcels still MIA.

i was in my local PO yesterday to post a letter and there literally hundreds of parcels on the floor with staff sorting through them. I think they must have had the entire backlog dumped on their doorstep and are now trying to sort it out.

Mine has been sitting in Customs for a month now.

Thats not bad. Mine has been there for 3,5 months. But I see 3 of my 4 outstanding parcels has just arrived at my local Post office after arriving in SA on the 25th of June

Let's hope that things going to get better and stay that way. Will order a small cheap item just to see how long it takes to get here.