International parcels good news - we hope!

Psyrax

Just to give you guys some insights I see on my side of the world (Netherlands). Recently there have been a number of news articles about the increase in online shopping and the enormous amount of infrastructure (man power) required to mange deliveries and check parcels at customs.

Even 1st world countries are struggling with the demand for man power to get them to their purchasers.

------- Edited and added -------

The just of my message is not to say it's all doom and gloom. What I am trying to say is that e-commerce globally is on the rise (30% increase in EU last year) and as a result there is a lack in man power to clear items and get them to their owners. It's been better managed in other countries.

If you recall, the SA Post Office implemented fees on releasing items due to the volume of orders they had started receiving. Hopefully they use that money to invest in infrastructure and man power to solve the problems.

Edited by ManicMark

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to give you guys some insights I see on my side of the world (Netherlands). Recently there have been a number of news articles about the increase in online shopping and the enormous amount of infrastructure (man power) required to mange deliveries and check parcels at customs.

Even 1st world countries are struggling with the demand for man power to get them to their purchasers.

But does it take them 6 month to never to deliver?

What is the tracking number? Small stuff (cheap) with similar to below is not tracked.

eg.

UN372328765CN

UN372537905CN

RW080640138CN

I am stuck. 

Hidemybell sent my order but did not get a tracking number, I went to post office and they laughed saying they have over 700 packages at Claremont, I was like, well here is where you would have sent the slip, my ID, my address.... no no no, we need a tracking number. 

Dang, do I just wait for a slip in the mail, the lady from hidemybell has offered to send another bell. Not sure if it will get here though.

RW080640138CN

According to 17Track it is in the country. Your best bet would be to email JIMC (JIMCCustomerServices@postoffice.co.za) with the foreign tracking number and ask if there is a local tracking number available.

Im from the UK and you get your parcels the Next day from Amazon and within the week from anywhere else around the world

If you look at the transport links ... the Parcels hit SA within a few days and stays stagnate while customs and SARS fleece you off with custom duties for the ANC gravy train and that just increases the cost of living in the country

Its crap buying from overseas as the parcels take on average a few months to leave the JHB hub to your post office...

Edited by Sven137

I'm more specifically referring to other websites, like the Aliexpress etc. You cant compare Amazon to them. Amazon and anything else I buy in neighboring countries do actually arrive within a week as you have mentioned  ^_^

Any I once ordered a parcel from Germany to be delivered in SA - it took them 3 weeks to clear in Frankfurt

Im from the UK and you get your parcels the Next day from Amazon and within the week from anywhere else around the world

If you look at the transport links ... the Parcels hit SA within a few days and stays stagnate while customs and SARS fleece you off with custom duties for the ANC gravy train and that just increases the cost of living in the country

Its crap buying from overseas as the parcels take on average a few months to leave the JHB hub to your post office...

Edited by ManicMark

I am testing the Aramex global shopper currently.

Ordered a 0.5kg package from an American website on Wednesday 31 October, it should arrive in New York by Monday, 5 Novermber. This costs R60 shipping.

From there Aramex will courier it, process the customs duties themselves and deliver it to my door for R200, plus duties if they are due.

I am curious to see how quickly they can do the NY->Pta link given the measly R200 delivery fee....

Will keep you guys posted.

Disclaimer, delivery fees are heavily dependent on weight, so don't for a moment think you will ship vehicle coil spring cheaply.

I am testing the Aramex global shopper currently.

Ordered a 0.5kg package from an American website on Wednesday 31 October, it should arrive in New York by Monday, 5 Novermber. This costs R60 shipping.

From there Aramex will courier it, process the customs duties themselves and deliver it to my door for R200, plus duties if they are due.

I am curious to see how quickly they can do the NY->Pta link given the measly R200 delivery fee....

Will keep you guys posted.

Disclaimer, delivery fees are heavily dependent on weight, so don't for a moment think you will ship vehicle coil spring cheaply.

Use it often and it's quick and easy. Only problem is, you get nailed for VAT in the country you order from and in SA but if you buying off Ebay etc, it works out nicely.

Edited by Dean9406