Road tyre prices - what happened

seanp

The Rand did happen, BUT along with that, prices have become ridiculous.

I saw a guy selling a 5 year old second hand frame in the classifieds with outdated geo for more than they were sold new and someone had commented 'good price'...

Just because it's R4000 doesn't mean it's a good price, it just means we have all become accustomed to paying ridiculous prices for things. R4000 might be 'cheap' but realistically it should be selling for R2000.

The Rand is a joke, but so is the market. New and second hand.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I would rather support the local guys, when Chain Reaction can do 2 GP 4000s for £58 (R1100) you have to wonder.  If you get a mate to buy with you and the order is over £100, shipping is free too.

Add Vat and handling fees and you will find that some local stores are actually slightly cheaper.

Add Vat and handling fees and you will find that some local stores are actually slightly cheaper.

And if I remember, rubber carries duties also.

Just not sure Cycling rubber does.  

Nothing to do with the Rand, 4 brake pads for my Pajero cost about R50 more than 2 Shimano XTR brake pads, both imported, Shimano XTR is probably as popular as Pajero's if not more to nullify the whole quantity of scale argument, 

What happened? The Rand happened!

Agreed the Rand is a contributing factor, but then the affect should be felt with other "consumables"/ faster moving bicycle parts such as cassettes, chains and cables.

Don't think these have increased in price to the same extent over the same period.

Technically SARS happened.... they need funds for rubber recycling, or a new government luxury car or summing :mellow:

There was a new levy on tyres implemented last year, affecting all imports on tyres - as most of our wheels come with tyres on them, we now need to break down our invoices to show the tyres and their weight, which is a headache!. its not a massive tax but it all adds up.

Exchange rate is also a big player - our current shipment of UST road tyres came in at a Euro exchange of 17.9, Whereas the last shipment in Feb was at 14 to the Euro, that makes quite a big difference on retail price!

Distributors always seem to get a bad rap on Bike hub, never completely sure why...I certainly dont think Cool heat has just bumped up the pricing becasue they bought Interac, as seems to have been suggested by some posts...

But i share your pain on bike part costs, after stage 1 of the  Glacier Storms River Traverse I needed to replace front and rear pads at full retail  - and ya, cheaper to put brake pads on my car  :eek:

Hi all.

Went to purchase a set of Continental Grand Prix II tyres this morning.
Shock of my life. The prices seemed to have almost doubled since my last purchase in November last year.
Paid approx R450 each last time, now running at just below R800 discounted.
A tyre for my car will cost less and will last probably 6 to 7 times longer.

What on earth has happened?

Edited by Mavic (Distributor)

Technically SARS happened.... they need funds for rubber recycling, or a new government luxury car or summing :mellow:

There was a new levy on tyres implemented last year, affecting all imports on tyres - as most of our wheels come with tyres on them, we now need to break down our invoices to show the tyres and their weight, which is a headache!. its not a massive tax but it all adds up.

oh crap, did the REDISA shirtshow affect cycling too now?

do you know what the newer levy is? if it's a 10% duty and distributers have hid behind this to slap on a bit of fat whilst they're at it then jonny public will not be happy.

Distributors always seem to get a bad rap on Bike hub, never completely sure why...I certainly dont think Cool heat has just bumped up the pricing becasue they bought Interac, as seems to have been suggested by some posts...

Because they have historically run a cartel.... and now they have to pay the fine.... that's why.

I am interested to hear your explanation of why bicycle tires cost twice what my Enduro MTB tires cost - fully imported..... they DO NOT cost twice what a motorbike tire costs to make....

Will check on the tax ,not as high as 10% although for the headache of breaking down which wheels come with which tyres and then submitting to SARS they should have actually paid us money  :whistling:

Biggest player to pricing has been exchange rate though, R14  in Feb R18 in Aug when the first 2019 items started arriving, so yeah been some interesting 2019 pricing so far.

should bought my bike spares in Feb

oh crap, did the REDISA shirtshow affect cycling too now?

do you know what the newer levy is? if it's a 10% duty and distributers have hid behind this to slap on a bit of fat whilst they're at it then jonny public will not be happy.

I’m calling bs on gp4000s II at R450 unless this was a cwcycles special on sanded off serial number tyres. The normal price for those tyres is R900ea and they are a high performance light weight tyre.

There are cheaper options